The Reader’s Digest: Pre Summer Transfer Speculation

Comments

• edited April 2023

Can't see it myself, FB is not somewhere we've ever spent anything significant, and I doubt very much that he'd be available at a reasonable fee, apart from the fact that he's on Man Utd wages.

His contract is up in 2024, and Ten Hag seems pretty ruthless. I can see him being available at an affordable price.

EDIT: Actually, just seen they have an additional year as an option, so maybe not.
  • West Ham are eyeing 23-year-old Conor Gallagher of Chelsea and Manchester City's Kalvin Phillips, 27, as potential replacements for fellow England midfielder Declan Rice, 24. (Standard)
  • West Ham and England's Declan Rice, 24, Brighton's 21-year-old Ecuador international Moises Caicedo, Inter Milan and Italy's Nicolo Barella, 26, and Wolves and Portugal's 24-year-old Matheus Nunes remain on Liverpool's short-list for a new midfielder. (Florian Plettenberg
  • If all the clubs reported to be interested in Dec actually are then come the last game of the season it's going to be like Harrods on Boxing Day.
  • It looks like Masuaku's loan to Besiktas has been made permanent. There was an obligation to buy if he played a certain number of games, and playing today would have triggered that obligation. The original price was set at £2m, but apparently we accepted a revised offer of £1.8m and, seeing as Masuaku played today it would seem the obligation has been triggered and Masuaku will join Besiktas at the end of the season.
  • Good luck to him.
  • He scored a winner against Chelsea. He is a legend. 🤩
  • West Ham and England midfielder Declan Rice would prefer a summer move to Arsenal, with Newcastle also interested in the 24-year-old. (Talksport)

Aston Villa, Everton and West Ham are all interested in Inter Milan's 28-year-old Argentine forward Joaquin Correa. (Sport Witness)

Arsenal have offered Reiss Nelson, 23, a new contract but there remains doubt over his long-term future, with Aston Villa, Fulham, West Ham and Brighton among the teams interested in signing the English winger. (Mail)

West Ham are set to receive a fee of about £1.75m from Turkish club Besiktas for DR Congo left-back Arthur Masuaku, 29, after the obligation-to-buy clause in his loan agreement was triggered. (Football Insider)

• Southampton have told midfielder James Ward-Prowse, 28, he can leave in the summer if the club is relegated. Tottenham, West Ham and Newcastle are all interested in the England international. (Talksport)
  • Talk of a Chelsea fire sale in the summer, as they have a huge squad. ( 20 players out on loan, although many of those are kids. The 2 senior players are Lukaku and Hudson Odoi.)

Who should we be all over?
  • Top player ( IMO of course 😉).
  • I would take Lukaku if Moyes stays. I know he’s been in bad form but I think he’s a good striker. People laugh but he’s not all that different to Haaland (of course Haaland is much better). No one jokes about Haaland’s ability on the ball because he’s not asked to do that. I think Lukaku would be good at our level as a proper striker to hit in the middle and much more pace than someone like Scamacca.

And maybe Gallagher? Not completely sold on him but he was pretty good at Palace and WBA
  • I suspect Lukaku's wages would be a problem unless he was prepared to take a massive paycut
  • Yeah that's probably an issue but he's 29 now and had a couple of bad years. Not sure any of them really big clubs will want him anymore.
  • According to Transfermarkt, Chelsea have 11 players all out of contract next summer (2024), and would presumably command a lesser fee than many others (Thiago Silva, Cesar Azpilicueta, Mateo Kovacic, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Mason Mount, Christian Pulisic, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Ethan Ampadu, Tiemoue Bakayoko, Abdul-Rahman Baba).

They have 9 attacking midfielders, so it's entirely plausible that Hudson-Odoi will be gone in the summer. I think he's a realistic option for us, personally. Similarly, they have 9 central midfielders. I'd be happy to bring either Loftus-Cheek or Bakayoko in if the opportunity arose.
  • Bakayoko is still a Chelsea player? 🤯
  • Bakayoko is still a Chelsea player? 🤯

Season long loan at AC Milan

Has made three substitute appearances since February but otherwise hasn't been used
  • edited April 2023
    He must've been on loan for about 5 years now
  • Arsenal could sell 21-year-old England Under-21 striker Folarin Balogun - on loan at French side Reims this season - to RB Leipzig in the summer to help fund a £100m move for West Ham and England midfielder Declan Rice, 24. (Metro)

West Ham could suffer a mass summer exodus with 30-year-old Argentine forward Manuel Lanzini, Italian defender Angelo Ogbonna, 34, Czech 30-year-old full-back Vladimir Coufal, English left-back Aaron Cresswell, 33, Spanish forward Pablo Fornals, 27, and 28-year-old Czech midfielder Tomas Soucek set to follow captain Rice out of the door. (Football Insider)

• I think we all expect Lanzini to leave, rumours are that Cresswell wants to go back to Merseyside and Oggy's close to retirement.

Fornals and Soucek have contracts until 2024 while Coufal has a 2 year extension option on his
  • Do you think Tranmere will take Cresswell? =)
  • Tranme currently 13th in League Two, bit of a drop for him
  • He might be useful to Everton if they go down =)
  • Manchester United, Newcastle, Wolves, Arsenal, West Ham and Crystal Palace are all keeping tabs on Bayern Munich's Morocco full-back Noussair Mazraoui, 25. (90min)

Mazraoui is open to leaving Bayern Munich if he does not get more first-team football at the German club. (Sky Sport Germany)
  • Gent's left back impressed me. Not many players keep up with Bowen over 10 yards. Not that he did in the second leg, but just sayin...
  • edited April 2023
    So, Declan Rice…

Do we keep him & let him go for free?

Quick poll

I’ll start, yes
  • Third option, keep him one more year, activate his option, sell him next summer for less than this summer.
  • It completely depends on his attitude IMO. If he kicks up a fuss and wants to leave then we should let him. If he is happy to play on then keep him. Activate his extension, let him for for £40m or so?
This discussion has been closed.