The Reader’s Digest: Pre Summer Transfer Speculation

Comments

• I'm sure he'll have enjoyed the last few games, and it looks like he and Paqueta are really building an understanding. If we finish the season strongly and win the ECL, I think there's a chance he can be convinced to stay without kicking up a fuss, but it may be his heart has already moved on and this is a last hurrah for him.

As alderz says, it really boils down to how he feels. If he'll do another season kinda willingly, then let's take that; I'd have thought we'd still get £50m with a year left on his contract in summer 2024.
  • I’d just rather we kept him until the end & he goes on a free wherever. He’ll be 26 & be able to pick his next club & end his career there.
  • Must admit, I can't ever see Sullivan doing that, but he'll likely be gone and maybe Danny K will have a different view on things.

On the subject of which, if we win the ECL and stay up I really think Sullivan goes. He'll sell it as "Look how far I've taken you, from the brink of extinction to winning a European cup, I know I said the club was for my kids, but I just can't go on any longer without DG" when all he really thinks is "Great, an excuse to get out and pocket the cash penalty free".
  • Should we keep him another season I am not sure we will have the decision to sell him with a year on his contract as the smart thing for him to do then is refuse and see it out and leave on a free. A club getting a 26 year old£100m player on a free is going to pay maybe the biggest salary in the Premiership.

I think it would be a great gesture in the spirit of football for the club to say to the fans that player like Rice only comes along once in a few decades and we want the fans to enjoy him for as long as possible so we will keep him. I imagine however that economics will prevail and we will sell this summer. Which is probably best for the club also as long as the fee is given to the manager to build a post Declan team.
  • edited April 2023
    If he stays a year longer and leaves on a free , he's gambling on his price staying high .. but he could get injured in the next season etc. And even if not, he'd miss out on a year with a 'top club chasing CL honours '.

Who knows what the situation will be by then.

Another factor is, do we want the club to squeeze every last penny out of him, or do we do ( what some think would be) the honourable thing;and make a decision that respects the player and what he has done/could do.

There's a ( somewhat) parallel situation with Kane, and how really he is able to achieve more away from Spurs than by staying.

My own view, is, Rice will not be able to fulfill his potential with us. And I think it would be wrong to hold him back as he's never stinted in giving his all for West Ham. So we should sell him this summer. For as much as we can get ( and I'd hope Deccers would play his part in helping that come to a win-win situation).
    #everywherehegoes
    #alwaysahammer
  • Meanwhile, Milan could offer to swap Belgium midfielder Charles de Ketelaere, 22, for West Ham and Italy striker Gianluca Scamacca, 24, in the summer transfer window. (Telelombardia, via Inside Futbol)
  • Ravel49 said:

Meanwhile, Milan could offer to swap Belgium midfielder Charles de Ketelaere, 22, for West Ham and Italy striker Gianluca Scamacca, 24, in the summer transfer window. (Telelombardia, via Inside Futbol)

Italian clubs do like a swap deal! Long article, mostly about Juventus, but outlining some dodgy accounting practices that seem quite widespread in Italy:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/25/inside-the-crisis-at-juventus-andrea-agnelli-fabio-paratici-plusvalenze
  • West Ham and England midfielder Declan Rice, 24, is at the top of Arsenal's transfer list this summer. (Telegraph - subscription required) 😮
  • I’m more than willing to pay the subscription to drill down further into this shock news.
  • Slacker said:

I’m more than willing to pay the subscription to drill down further into this shock news.

There are 17 paragraphs in the story. Rice is mentioned in 4 -

with Declan Rice high on the list of targets as they look to recruit at least one high-class midfielder.

Rice, the West Ham United captain, is known to be a top target for Arsenal this summer as they look to add more dynamism and technical quality in the centre of the pitch. The England midfielder will not come cheap, though, as West Ham manager David Moyes has said the 24-year-old will set a new British transfer record if he leaves the club.

Rice was at the Emirates Stadium this week to watch West Ham’s under-18 team defeat Arsenal in the FA Youth Cup final. Rice sat in the directors’ box with Mark Noble,

Arsenal wanted to sign Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo in January, before then adding Rice in the summer,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/04/27/arsenal-transfer-news-declan-rice-mikel-arteta-summer/
  • Aha,so Arsenal want to sign Noble as well as Rice...
  • Plot twist 🌪️

Arsenal are still keen to sign Mount this summer which could mean the Gunners end their interest in signing West Ham and England midfielder Declan Rice, 24. (Mail)
  • Ravel49 said:

West Ham and England midfielder Declan Rice, 24, is at the top of Arsenal's transfer list this summer. (Telegraph - subscription required) 😮

Ravel49 said:

Plot twist 🌪️

Arsenal are still keen to sign Mount this summer which could mean the Gunners end their interest in signing West Ham and England midfielder Declan Rice, 24. (Mail)

So they are going for second best? 🤔

😆
  • Big fan of him adding “up to West Ham”, as if somehow that wouldn’t be the case.
  • An interesting analysis of Rice's abilities and attributes.

• Under Southgate and Moyes he's not really developed.

🤔

So has he not developed at all then? If he has, who was it under?
  • If pep comes in he shouldn't look anywhere else. It's his best chance of trophies next season and to play along side Hallend and KDB should in itself be a draw.
  • To be honest I'll be glad when it's done. I really want him to stay, but we can't match his ambition and he deserves to compete at the very top level.

All I ask is that it's done early and we can move on quickly and reinvest the money in the squad. Can't be doing with a window-long saga.
  • That possession section is a bit basic, I think. The idea that he doesn’t play the pass and that means Rodri is better than him is completely ignoring the fact that Rodri would play it back to Ederson and Rice would go back to Fabianski, who doesn’t love the ball at his feet.
  • edited May 2023
    alderz said:

That possession section is a bit basic, I think. The idea that he doesn’t play the pass and that means Rodri is better than him is completely ignoring the fact that Rodri would play it back to Ederson and Rice would go back to Fabianski, who doesn’t love the ball at his feet.

Not even just Ederson v Fabianski, but the rest of Man City v the rest of West Ham. As an example, Aguerd really shouldn't really be playing the ball he did to Soucek on Saturday that led to Palace's third goal. Yes, Soucek should have dealt with it better, but we know that dealing with that pass in those circumstances isn't ideal for Soucek.

Rice, in Aguerd's position, would probably have recognised that, and taken a different option. Rodri, with the class of players he has around him at City, wouldn't have to worry as much as all of City's players have better technical ability than Soucek.
  • I thought that too. A player is only one person in a team, and had to work with what they've got. Plus who's the opposition.

Nuance. We need more nuance.
  • MrsGrey said:

Nuance. We need more nuance.

Is he the French lad? Where does he play?

• To be honest I'll be glad when it's done. I really want him to stay, but we can't match his ambition and he deserves to compete at the very top level.

All I ask is that it's done early and we can move on quickly and reinvest the money in the squad. Can't be doing with a window-long saga.

There’s a school of thought that the Rice money was spent last year.

• If pep comes in he shouldn't look anywhere else. It's his best chance of trophies next season and to play along side Hallend and KDB should in itself be a draw.

City spent £42m on Kalvin Phillips in the summer but he can't get a game with Rodri and John Stones preferred at CM/DM

I don't think Pep is desperate to add Rice to his squad
  • I still believe Rice is Man Utd bound. They will pay near what the board are asking for and they need him.

City spent £42m on Kalvin Phillips in the summer but he can't get a game with Rodri and John Stones preferred at CM/DM

I don't think Pep is desperate to add Rice to his squad
    I think Rice is twice the player Phillips is. Phillips always felt like a squad-filler for City, whereas I think Rice would be more of a starter. Not every game, because that's not Pep's way, but he'd play way more than Phillips has I reckon.
  • I still believe Rice is Man Utd bound. They will pay near what the board are asking for and they need him.

I've read that he wants to stay in London, and there's been the loud and persistent links with Arsenal this season. I could see him choosing them over Chelsea given they'll have CL football next season.

I think he'll have his pick of a few teams, to be honest. Wouldn't surprise me if he went Arsenal, City or United.
  • Seeing Chelsea last night I reckon he’ll think he has more chance of CL football with us than them.
  • Why didn't Chelsea appoint Emma Hayes as interim manager?
This discussion has been closed.