The Reader’s Digest: Pre Summer Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Lanzini turned 30 in February

There is a 2-year option on his contract, when he was asked about the future in March he said that there hadn't been any talks but he would see what happened in the summer
  • Been a really good player for us. But I do not blame him for leaving. He hasn't had a run of for a while now.
  • Lanzini is on a lot of money for someone who contributes so little. I think those wages would be better used elsewhere given that we have Bowen, Benrahma, Fornals, Cornet and Paqueta as attacking midfielders.

Been a great servant, but not someone we'd miss, IMO.
  • There's been talk for quite a while now that he'd like to finish his career back at River Plate. He's had so little football here recently that I suspect there's little chance the club will want to take up the option, and don't think Manu will be overly disappointed tbh.
  • I loved Manu in the Payet season.
  • Do we think a sneaky poach for Southamptons Livramento is a good idea? He's been injured a while but looked a great prospect prior to it.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Do we think a sneaky poach for Southamptons Livramento is a good idea? He's been injured a while but looked a great prospect prior to it.

His recovery has been anything but straightforward from what I've read, so I'd be very wary tbh.

• It may get him at a lower price. I saty gamble! ;)
  • He’s been out for pretty much the entire season, I wouldn’t risk it, but he did look very good before injury.
  • If Lanzini goes I will understand it .But will always be in my heart not lest because of the goal against Spurs .
  • steve said:

If Lanzini goes I will understand it .But will always be in my heart not lest because of the goal against Spurs .

I would offer him an extension just because of that. Massive!
  • Bazshuayi said:

Do we think a sneaky poach for Southamptons Livramento is a good idea? He's been injured a while but looked a great prospect prior to it.

His recovery has been anything but straightforward from what I've read, so I'd be very wary tbh.
    Do we need another RB?

He got 13 minutes yesterday against Brighton, maybe give him a season down in the Championship and see how he does
  • Bazshuayi said:

Do we need another RB?

He got 13 minutes yesterday against Brighton, maybe give him a season down in the Championship and see how he does
    I think we need another RB, personally.

Coufal has had a bit of a resurgence, but Johnson has been really poor this year and has never truly looked a PL level fullback, no matter how much I want to believe he has.

You could argue that Kehrer and Coufal are our future RB options, in which case we don’t need another RB, but would need another CB.
  • Wouldn’t KWP be a better option from Southampton
  • Livramento looked a better player, to me, but who knows after the injury. Will probably be amazing for someone else if we don't go for him but injured all the time if we do.

• Both KWP and Liveramento would be upgrades IMO
  • edited May 2023
    I'm dreading, but half expecting, Maguire to arrive. Too old, too slow, too error prone and undoubtedly too expensive. Would be dreadful value for money, for a player not good enough now let alone in a couple of year's time. It's such a short term signing if we make it, extraordinarily poor.
  • You just know who ever gets Rice .Will want to give us there has beens In part exchange like Maguire please just get the cash so we can pick the players we want not there cast offs
  • I don't see why we'd sign Pickford when we signed Areola in the summer and he's waiting to replace Fabianski. Pickford has been linked with Spurs and Man Utd which seem far more likely destinations

Hudson-Odoi has had his loan at Bayer Leverkuesen cut short which is hardly a recommendation with only 13 starts all season and I'm not sure we need another left (mostly) winger. Ditto Harvey Barnes

James Ward-Prowse is the only one who might fit into the current squad, especially as we might need a new captain in the summer...
  • I think all of those would be quality signings, personally.

Pickford is better than both our keepers. Maguire wouldn’t be a starter for me but I rate him a lot - he just needs to to leave Man Utd. Harvey Barnes is a lot like Jarrod Bowen, IMO, not quite as good, but a similar player. Ward-Prowse is someone I want us to sign anyway. Hudson-Odoi would give us much better depth on the flanks.

All also have PL experience, which I think will be important to Moyes.
  • Personally would not enjoy seeing Pickford play for us.
    But that’s just my opinion 👍🏻⚒️
  • alderz said:

I think all of those would be quality signings, personally.

Pickford is better than both our keepers. Maguire wouldn’t be a starter for me but I rate him a lot - he just needs to to leave Man Utd. Harvey Barnes is a lot like Jarrod Bowen, IMO, not quite as good, but a similar player. Ward-Prowse is someone I want us to sign anyway. Hudson-Odoi would give us much better depth on the flanks.

But is Maguire likely to come for money that would be appropriate for "not a starter"? Very unlikely it will be under £30m, which is just way too much. And, in 2 or 3 years time both Zouma and Maguire will need replacing just for the RCB position alone. It's just too short term a signing imo, and is typical of a lot of the signings we've made in the last 10 years, and why we struggle to improve the quality of the squad; we're always having to replace players because they're too old (and worth nothing) rather than because we want to upgrade.

Say we sign Maguire now for £30m, as opposed to a 25 year old £30m CB. In 3 years time, we need to spend another £30m to replace Maguire, but if we'd signed the younger CB we could spend that £30m to upgrade somewhere else in the squad. Time and time again we sign players who are too old to get VFM, and we constantly struggle to upgrade the squad despite relatively high levels of spending.
  • Yeah that’s fair, just saying he’s a good centre back and if he comes here I wouldn’t hate it
  • edited May 2023
    If he came on a free (or something similar à la Dawson), I could just about cope 😂🤣😂, but not for the sort of money Man Utd are likely to want.

Dawson is a decent comparison imo, good in a backs-to-the-wall defence under severe pressure, but doesn't offer much, and is often caught out and more error prone, in a more progressive defense. Not a good signing given the current age profile of the squad either, hence why he needs to be very cheap imo.
  • edited May 2023
    alderz said:

I think all of those would be quality signings, personally.

Ward-Prowse yes, but no to the rest. We need to be moving forward, not sideways at best, and more likely backwards - a home for the past it or recently relegated.There is usually a good reason why people aren’t picked or get relegated.
  • Looking at the tweet, it's not Harvey Barnes but Harvey Barners. Does he play right back?
  • edited May 2023
    Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea, winger) - 6/1 (favourite)

- No overrated.

Conor Gallagher (Chelsea, midfielder) - 10/1 (sixth favourite)

- No because they will want 40m or something stupid for someone who had one good season then did nothing for Chelsea. Would be like Lingard for Forest not worth.

Harry Maguire (Manchester United, centre-back) - 6/1 (second favourite)

- No cost too much and wouldnt be a starter and not a ball playing CB his passing is atrocious

Harvey Barnes (Leicester City, winger) - 7/1 (third favourite)

- Yes quality player

James Ward-Prowse (Southampton, midfielder) - 4/1 (second favourite)

- Yes a good alternative replacement for Rice not a like for like positional wise but his deadball and set piece delivery in a team like ours is gold dust.

Jordan Pickford (Everton, goalkeeper) - 7/1 (joint-second favourite)

- No, i would take him as i think he is a good keeper, but money probably needs to go elsewhere on the squad especially if we can retain Fabianski for another year.

Kieran Tierney (Arsenal, left-back) - 33/1 (joint-fourth favourite)

- Yes but injury concerns ? quality player on his days but feel he would become a sick note at this club. (We need to be done with those kind of players)

Scott McTominay (Manchester United, midfielder) - 8/1 (second favourite)

- No cost too much money, whilst he a good player he doesn't elevate us imo and there would be better value elsewhere for what Man U would want for him.

Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace, winger) - 25/1 (joint-11th favourite)

- No, is he better than Benrahma ? sure ? will he come to West Ham from Palace ? doubt it. Would take him if he would come but i think he is looking for a Champions League club either here or abroad.
  • If he came on a free (or something similar à la Dawson), I could just about cope 😂🤣😂, but not for the sort of money Man Utd are likely to want.

Dawson is a decent comparison imo, good in a backs-to-the-wall defence under severe pressure, but doesn't offer much, and is often caught out and more error prone, in a more progressive defense. Not a good signing given the current age profile of the squad either, hence why he needs to be very cheap imo.

When has Dawson ever played in a progressive defence? 😁
  • Looking at the tweet, it's not Harvey Barnes but Harvey Barners. Does he play right back?

You just know we will sign Harvey Barners....
This discussion has been closed.