Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• Also Moyes out. In a friendly "thanks for all you've done and good luck for the future" kind of way.
  • Moyes out camp for me. It’s been a good run but it’s time for some young fresh blood. It’s very unlikely that we get a new manger if we are in the Europa Cup next season.
  • I just don’t see how you can let a guy go who could potentially have us qualify for Europe 3 seasons running.
  • OCS

Maybe this season was of his own making, but I was thinking more of the two times he came in to save us from relegation.

If i’m honest, part of the reason I’m pro him staying is because I have no confidence that the board would hire the kind of transformational manager I would want to replace Moyes when he eventually goes.
  • All this talk of getting young fresh blood but no suggestions. It’s like party political broadcasts. If we were in power we’d do things differently. What would you do. We don’t know but it would be different. Would it be better. Who knows. Etc etc
  • All this talk of getting young fresh blood but no suggestions. It’s like party political broadcasts. If we were in power we’d do things differently. What would you do. We don’t know but it would be different. Would it be better. Who knows. Etc etc

To be fair, I would expect a professional organization with a mandate to search for and replace the manager, to have a much broader and deeper insight into the possibilities than little old me.

It is easier to sit back with a better the devil you know approach but for me, DM has run his race, honorably for sure, but the time has come,

I’m not sure that’s particularly fair. I’ve seen several people on this forum list plenty of names. Graham Potter, for one.
  • Oh and for the record, plenty of folks have made suggestions, for me I would approach Potter as a decent shout
  • There's been plenty of suggestions Thorn. But none of us here have the power to hire them so it's just a list of names. But as Chicago says, the club should have a good idea of who is available and interested.
  • As OCS mentions, we can throw out Potters name or even St Brendon as a decent shout and I trust that their names have considered, however we have no idea if either of them would be interested, they might just have decided to take their severance money and sit on a beach
  • edited May 2023
    Really hope Moyes is gone at the end of the season whatever happens after this game.
    He’s not up to it IMO
  • To be fair, Benny has looked lively since he came on, but that was one of his trademark crosses - oh boy
  • As OCS mentions, we can throw out Potters name or even St Brendon as a decent shout and I trust that their names have considered, however we have no idea if either of them would be interested, they might just have decided to take their severance money and sit on a beach

Equally, I suspect there a raft of names that we have never heard of that the club are keeping tabs on and it is possible that they are not considered ready so sticking with DM is a reasonable option, however….

I fear I am giving the club too much credit……..ho hum
  • If we let RICE go in wont matter who is at the helm, because we need to build the team around him, no big hitter will come if they cant improve the squad, we will be back to mid table doldrums
  • Besides the Europa Conference, our season has been poor. If Moyes stays, I cannot see much changing. Having said that, he probably deserves to stay if we win the conference and stay up.
    I keep changing my mind.
  • I think he's been leading the team too long. The team needs a change.
  • Even if we win the Europa conference league, i would still be in the moyes out camp. Im not sure i can handle another season of poor football. Plus i wouldnt trust him spending the rice money.
  • Even if we win the Europa conference league, i would still be in the moyes out camp. Im not sure i can handle another season of poor football. Plus i wouldnt trust him spending the rice money.

Agree.
    He’ll probably try buy “Uncle Ben” 🙄
  • We had two top half finishes under Moyes, qualified for Europe twice and reached a European semi final

We've had one bad season but we are close to reaching a European final for the first time since 1976 (1)

The assumption that next season will be poor simply because this season has been poor seems rather pessimistic. We could just as easily revert to the form we showed in the first two seasons.

I am very much "Moyes In"

Notes (1) Intertoto 1999 doesn't count as there were three winners, it was over two legs and it was in August
  • I don’t want Moyes here any longer than the final game this season ( hoping it’s the final and he can go on a high )..
    I don’t think he’s done a bad job, however I think he’s run the course and definitely not convinced he can improve us.
    All IMO of course and we all entitled to our own thoughts ⚒️👍🏻
  • Think I’ve said this before, we assume that Declan our captain is going so to bin the manager at the same timecould be a recipe for disaster .
    Is it worth the risk? Not for me.
  • Slacker said:

Think I’ve said this before, we assume that Declan our captain is going so to bin the manager at the same timecould be a recipe for disaster .

Out of interest, if Rice should decide to stay, would you still stick with Moyes then ?
    Or let someone else have a go?.
  • I don’t particularly want Moyes to lose his job but, European adventures aside, I remember that this turgid football and by and large poor result situation has been happening since the beginning of last year. I do recall thinking towards the end of last season that we were producing relegation form. For this reason I am reluctantly in the Moyes out camp.
  • Slacker said:

Think I’ve said this before, we assume that Declan our captain is going so to bin the manager at the same timecould be a recipe for disaster .

I actually think there’s a counter argument. If you have the Rice money, maybe it’s the best time to bring in a new manager to use those funds to build us towards where they want us to be. If the money goes on a Moyes squad and then we try to change style in a year, it’s going to be harder.

That said, I’m Moyes In
  • edited May 2023

Slacker said:

Out of interest, if Rice should decide to stay, would you still stick with Moyes then ?
    Stick.

• Out of interest, if Rice should decide to stay, would you still stick with Moyes then ?

If Rice does stay I'd be amazed but if he does then I'd take it as an indication that he believes Moyes is capable of achieving more than he has

And if Moyes is good enough for Rice then I'm certainly not going to disagree
  • I don’t particularly want Moyes to lose his job but, European adventures aside, I remember that this turgid football and by and large poor result situation has been happening since the beginning of last year. I do recall thinking towards the end of last season that we were producing relegation form. For this reason I am reluctantly in the Moyes out camp.

I think this is my concern. We've been pretty bad for 18 months.

I did want Moyes to see out the season, as I thought he deserved it, and I won't be upset if he stays but I don't think next season will be one I'll go into with a great deal of excitement or expectation.
  • alderz said:

Slacker said:

I actually think there’s a counter argument. If you have the Rice money, maybe it’s the best time to bring in a new manager to use those funds to build us towards where they want us to be. If the money goes on a Moyes squad and then we try to change style in a year, it’s going to be harder.

Plus i wouldnt trust him spending the rice money.

I think these points are important. If we assume that we hold out for, and get, £100m for Rice, then we could be looking at a transfer kitty approaching £200m. Do we really want to give that to Moyes given that a) he would only have one year left on his contract and b) there have been question marks over his future for the last six months?

His success rate with transfers is, IMO at least, is pretty poor. We spent £45m on Scamacca and Ings but it looks like neither fit with Moyes' tactics which means we go into another summer needing an Antonio Mk2. There are question marks over the futures of Fabianski, Johnson, Ogbonna, Lanzini and Scamacca, whilst a lot of people think Soucek needs replacing and we almost certainly need a right-sided CB to cover Zouma (assuming Kehrer's future is at RB).

If we do have to re-build again in the summer and there have been significant doubts about Moyes, then as alderz alludes to, it makes sense to me to let someone new have a significant budget and a build the squad they want.
  • OCS, He has had his wish to have sole control over transfers & has Rob Newman on board too. His choice of purchases have not been given a chance to shine as he rarely picks most of them so I would be seriously concerned if he was given the Rice funds plus any other money we may have available to spend if it ends up with another Scamacca "He needs to time to settle" scenario. If he just wants an Antonio replacement then come out and say that so he can be given some slack instead of buying a striker and trying to convert them into a younger version of him. Both Scamacca & Ings work best with another player up top with them so why doesn't he play in a style to suit them? He has a history of not giving players a chance to show their true worth by setting the team up wrongly.
  • The problem is he spent the best part of 150m to push us to the next level or at least maintain us in the top echelons but instead he has put us in a relegation battle for the entire season.

Eddie Howe came in and transformed Newcastle
    Unai Emery came in and transformed Aston Villa

I just think there are better managers than David Moyes who can get more out of the squad. I also think there are better managers who can identify players to play a specific system and not sign mismatched players.