Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• Lucien Favre was sacked by Nice in January

Patrick Vieira's attacking football wasn't a great success at Palace...

Well in that case Favre is available!

Vieira's attacking football was going well, until they played every top side in the league in a row and hit a wall. I think he'd have come good if he'd had the games Roy has had, personally.
  • My view is that I think we should now be looking for our next manager yet If we cannot get any of our targets I would allow Moyes to stay rather than settle for someone we didn't really want.

I think Kompany should be the first target and go all out to get him. There is one scenario in which it's a feasible target in my view. This is that the real big clubs deem him too inexperienced to be given their job yet, but that he perceives us as a step up from Burnley who he may see as struggling if he is not offered a decent kitty to spend. Perhaps we can offer an already better group of players plus the Rice money and tempt him. I suspect Spurs may go for him but I hope he may think twice because of the reputation Levy is getting for being difficult to work with. There is a feasible scenario in which he goes to a club a bit bigger than Burnley and shows that his Championship season with Burnley was not a fluke and then gets Pep's job in a couple of seasons time. Could that club be us? maybe.

I could be interested in Potter but I would like to try and understand from people closer to the ground than we are as fans regard what went wrong at Chelsea and does he have the personality to recover from that experience?

Regard Moyes in his favour is that the team are still together and playing for him and that's not easy to do when in our position. I do however think he is too defensive minded to get the best out of our players and I would like to see someone who would allow us to go out to win rather than go out not to lose and hope we can nick a win, which is how too many games have felt this season. We did great once we went down at the weekend, yet that was so often the case against good teams last season. We had to go down for his tactics to be disposed of and the team just to press forward.

• I’d be really surprised if Kompany left Burnley for a side that wasn’t in Europe. If we won the conference league then maybe he’d be interested but honestly I think he’ll stay put.
  • edited April 2023
    Can't see Kompany wanting to leave a side he has just got promoted to come to us, regardless of whether we win the ECL or not. Also can't see the board going for someone inexperienced like Carrick or Will Still, and probably not someone who hasn't managed in the PL before. The most interesting appointment we could realistically hope for would be Potter, if not then it's likely to be a PL experienced manager like Rodgers or Benitez imo.

The only way things might be different is if Sullivan goes and we see a change in attitude in the boardroom, otherwise I suspect, should Moyes go, that we'll have what Sullivan deems is a "safe pair of hands" at the helm.
  • edited April 2023
    I really struggle with the idea we’ve already decided to part with Moyes at the end of the season. He has the players support, we’re potentially 24 hours away from a second European semi final in a year, we’ve finished in Europe for two seasons running, which could be three this season.

Madness to decide anything now. I don’t see why Moyes wouldn’t be here next year if we have a good final (possible) 12 games.
  • I would rather not have to judge a manager over how his team performs over the run up to the end of a season where they literally have to win matches otherwise they end up getting relegated & possibly get knocked out of a European tournament. Any review needs to be taken over the past eighteen months and how the team has played.
  • edited April 2023
    I would say you review each season. 7th last year, semi-final in Europe.

15th currently this year, quarter-final in Europe. Still 8 games to play.

Interested to see what people think we should be achieving.
  • The issue for me isn’t about the results or league position, tbh. Success in football is transient and nobody has a right to it. My issue comes from what I see on the pitch. Arsenal match aside, I haven’t enjoyed watching us all season, we lack ideas, intensity, and any semblance of a game plan. If he can fix that, I’d like him to stay. I like the idea of a long term manager and I think Moyes is capable of it, but he needs to show flexibility, IMO.
  • Moyes might want to go. He might want to walk away having kept us up and winning the Europa conference knowing that he's a ticking time bomb next season. He'd find it a lot easier to find a high profile job having done that, than getting the sack as soon as something goes wrong.
    Just another idea.
  • edited April 2023
    alderz said:

Well in that case Favre is available!

He got sacked after Nice were knocked out of the French cup by 3rd tier side Le Puy Foot 43 Auvergne

Given our record of losing in cups to lower league sides he'll fit in nicely!
  • Slacker said:

My worry about Carrick is his lack of experience. I acknowledge that he’s worked under some of the best and obviously his West Ham connection but I just think it’s too early yet.
    IF Moyes does go Potter would tick the boxes for me.
    Whichever way it’s a punt .

Sorry but I don’t agree, Potter fitted into Brighton’s “way” as does their new manager as will their next manager. We need to bite the bullet and appoint a young forward thinking manager and to me Carrick ticks all the boxes, and that’s regardless that “he knows the club”. Sometimes you need to take a risk (calculated).

• Have said all along that DM needs to see the season out and for me, I would welcome Potter - he will be very motivated to put Chelsea behind him and show that his prior success was no fluke.

DM has nothing to prove to anyone but I think his race is run, I doubt he will change tack next year so I fully expect our set up and tactics to remain essentially unchanged, maybe more intensity in the press but the basic premise will be not to lose and catch people on the break.

I think our players are capable of more than that and I am hoping that new blood and ideas can make that a reality
  • alderz said:

The issue for me isn’t about the results or league position, tbh. Success in football is transient and nobody has a right to it. My issue comes from what I see on the pitch. Arsenal match aside, I haven’t enjoyed watching us all season, we lack ideas, intensity, and any semblance of a game plan. If he can fix that, I’d like him to stay. I like the idea of a long term manager and I think Moyes is capable of it, but he needs to show flexibility, IMO.

Perhaps he could try Yoga… Pilates…. 🤫😉⚒️
  • edited April 2023
    DJ Hammer said:

Sorry but I don’t agree, Potter fitted into Brighton’s “way” as does their new manager as will their next manager.

What Brighton "way"?

Before they were promoted to the Premier League in 2017 they'd spent 34 years outside the top flight and only avoided relegation to the Conference in 1997 on goal difference.

They were close to being relegated the first two seasons and Hughton was replaced by Potter who turned them from relegation candidates into the team they are now.
    DJ Hammer said:

We need to bite the bullet and appoint a young forward thinking manager and to me Carrick ticks all the boxes, and that’s regardless that “he knows the club”. Sometimes you need to take a risk (calculated).

Carrick is certainly young but he's only been a manager for six months and while he's been incredibly successful in the Championship that doesn't mean he is "forward thinking" or that he's capable of reproducing his current success at the highest level
  • West Ham have identified Lille's Paulo Fonseca as a potential replacement for David Moyes, who is likely to part company with the club at the end of the season (Guardian)
  • DJ Hammer said:

Sorry but I don’t agree, Potter fitted into Brighton’s “way” as does their new manager as will their next manager.

What Brighton "way"?

They were close to being relegated the first two seasons and Hughton was replaced by Potter who turned them from relegation candidates into the team they are now.
    So in fact Potter created 'the Brighton way'.
  • DJ Hammer said:

What Brighton "way"?

Before they were promoted to the Premier League in 2017 they'd spent 34 years outside the top flight and only avoided relegation to the Conference in 1997 on goal difference.

DJ Hammer said:

We need to bite the bullet and appoint a young forward thinking manager and to me Carrick ticks all the boxes, and that’s regardless that “he knows the club”. Sometimes you need to take a risk (calculated).

Carrick is certainly young but he's only been a manager for six months and while he's been incredibly successful in the Championship that doesn't mean he is "forward thinking" or that he's capable of reproducing his current success at the highest level
    Like I say sometimes you need to take a risk. We’ve tried established managers

• DJ Hammer said:

Like I say sometimes you need to take a risk. We’ve tried established managers

Southampton took a risk with Nathan Jones

It didn't work out well but maybe we should give him another chance.

Or Scott Parker, he has managed to get two teams promoted to the Premier League, Carrick hasn't managed one yet
  • We can all cherry pick. There will be examples of novices that have done well, too. Arteta, for example, took on Arsenal with no managerial experience at all and is in with a chance of winning the league.

No-one is saying that Carrick, or anyone else for that matter, would come in and automatically succeed. Everyone appreciates that it would be a risk to appoint him, or Will Still, or Arne Slot, or any of the other non-PL experienced managers that we've been linked with, but no-one can say for sure that they'd fail, either.

Pellegrini proved that experience and previous success doesn't guarantee anything. Equally, a lack of experience and success doesn't mean that someone can't do well.

To echo DJs point, Carrick would represent a calculated risk. Obviously he's a novice in terms of managing, but is but he has played and coached at one of the biggest clubs in the PL, and indeed the world, which gives him a distinct advantage over someone like Still, who would be a much bigger risk. And whilst hiring either of those could result in relegation, there's absolutely nothing to say that their appointment wouldn't end in success.
  • That could surely be applied to any manager with maybe the exception of Pep but it does come in handy when there’s a few billion knocking around for transfers and wages.
  • It does, but that's kind of my point. Some seem to be reluctant to go with an inexperienced manager to replace Moyes (if indeed he goes), but the reality is it's a bit of a lottery as to what works. So why not take that calculated risk and give someone with perhaps more fresh ideas a go?

As an aside, I'd love to see Pep take on a job at someone like Oldham and see what he can do there. No doubt he's a great manager, but as you say, unlimited funds has helped his cause over the years.
  • Gary O'Neill.
    Prem experience, knows the club, definitely young...
    Ticks those boxes. Tempted?
    😁
  • I agree appointing Carrick would be a risk

What I don't agree with is that its a calculated risk

He was caretaker manager at Man U in Dec 2021 after Solskaer was sacked
    P3 W2 D1 L0
    He's been manager at Boro since 26th Oct
    P28 W18 D3 L7

To be honest Mrs G's suggestion of Gary O'Neill makes more sense
  • From the horses mouth (according to C&H):

"One reporter asked him outright: “Will you still be here next season.”

Moyes immediately made the position clear declaring: “I’m planning for next season. I’ve got no intention of leaving.

I’m getting on with my job, doing everything that I do and obviously, my head’s down and focused on how I’m getting myself more points at the moment, that’s the only thing I can think about.”"

Despite the slight contradiction ('I'm planning for next season/the only thing I can think about is getting more points'), it sounds like the reports of a mutual agreement to part ways may be untrue.

I'm also not too keen on the 'getting myself more points' comment. Points to an egocentric attitude. Or maybe I'm just over-thinking it 🤷‍♂️
  • Oh well…
    Saw this photo online and just had to share it…
    Sorry Ham, pic included a photo of Wilfred, part of a fake story…Enjoy all !!!
  • "I’m planning for next season. I’ve got no intention of leaving."

Nuff said
  • Very few managers have any intention of leaving but generally end up having to
  • edited April 2023
    There has been a lot of rumours and speculation that Moyes would quit or leave on a mutual at the end of the season but obviously he isn't thinking about that
  • Very few managers quit, or even suggest they might, they wait to get sacked so they can get a fortune in compensation.

Unless we go down, I can see Moyes being allowed to see out his contract till summer 24 and then let go, much the same as Allardyce was, unless next season goes well and he might be offered an extension.