Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• Not so much the money but rather they wouldn't want to be playing to a half empty stadium. This season they've been consistently over 62k apart from the Cup and European games which were around 30/40k

As I said I haven't heard anything from Moyes that suggests he's ready to throw in the towel
  • True, but he’s hardly going to go public with his thoughts. I know it’s different for football people, the game is a drug to them, but at his age and with the rubbish he’s had to endure it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he’s had enough.
  • edited April 2023
    Slacker said:

True, but he’s hardly going to go public with his thoughts. I know it’s different for football people, the game is a drug to them, but at his age and with the rubbish he’s had to endure it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he’s had enough.

Don't agree with your comment 'rubbish he's had to endure'...

Everyone is entitled to share a thought or opinion, most West Ham fans would agree he's done well for the club, but many might feel he's perhaps done as much as he's capable of and it's in everyones best interest for him to move on.

If 'the rubbish he's had to endure' comment you are talking about the 'Moyes out' banner, or some fans venting their opinions at the ground or online or journalists saying what they believe, if that has then affected him ( which I thick he's thick skinned enough to not let it ) he shouldn't then be in football management IMO.
    It comes with the job, praise when it's due and some stick when he's not doing a good job....

He's hardly had 'rubbish to endure' with IMO.
    He's been well treated by our chairman, been given hefty funds in the transfer market ( much more than ever before ) and couldn't have asked for anymore from the club, he's got everything he's wanted IMO.
  • You’ve obviously not seen some of the stuff I’ve seen about him.
    There’s being thick skinned and then there’s being a human being.
  • Slacker said:

You’ve obviously not seen some of the stuff I’ve seen about him.
    There’s being thick skinned and then there’s being a human being.

No, I haven't...don't do social media/twitter etc etc......
    Then again, do you really think Moyes has read them....Come on, think your'e kidding yourself a bit here......
  • There have been dumb comments on social media for a while. I remember seeing stuff last season and it pushed me to unfollow almost all West Ham-related accounts on social media. Since then, I haven't seen much. If it's that easy to avoid, I'm not sure Moyes would have seen all of that either. There's not been that much negativity in the ground, from my experience, apart from at the end of a couple of particularly bad performances (like Newcastle).

I don't agree with a lot of what's said about him but I'd be surprised if enough of it is reaching him to actually impact how he feels about carrying on.
  • I have no idea whether he does or not but he’s surely not immune to the nasty stuff .
    My point earlier was that maybe the board will think it’s best for all concerned to pay him off, nothing more.
  • (ok. I'll say it). That Dutch guy would Slot right in at the London Stadium... ;)
  • I think after watching us lately and especially against Gent that we would be a better team without Moyes, If he were a player I would drop him as he is a weak link. I think the players are better than he allows them to be with his negative defensive tactics.

I think what I mean is if we just put the players on the pitch in their best positions and said go out and give it your best I somehow think they would be better at present.

It's sort of the Noble caretaker idea in that you don't expect him to manage especially but to motivate and bring the players together and just trust in the great ability they have to produce something. It's not a long term plan obviously but It may be better than Moyes instructing them.
  • It's what Chelsea did with Dimatteo and it won them a Champions league. They got rid of AVB and in my view said we have some big personalities here and Terry as Captain will bring the players together, and they are great players. It worked. It's not long term however and he was gone five moths later
  • Di Matteo is a good example of this working, but what about Shearer taking Newcastle down? For me, an inexperienced interim is not the answer.
  • edited April 2023
    Di Matteo was manager of MK Dons in League 1 (2008-09, finished 3rd), manager of West Brom in the Championship (2009-10, 2nd) and Premier League (2010 - Feb 2011) before he became assistant manager to AVB at Chelsea (June 2011 - March 2012)

Shearer did a "Brooking" for the last eight games of 2008-09 when Roy Kinnear had to have heart surgery. Newcastle were 18th when he took over and it probably didn't help that he was announced as interim manager on 1st April

Noble has had four months as sporting director or whatever
  • Yup old Roy was a decent manager but even better as a comic actor.😉
  • Slacker said:

Yup old Roy was a decent manager but even better as a comic actor.😉

I’ll never forget the expletive laden rant. Still pull it up on YouTube occasionally for a laugh.
  • edited April 2023
    I think you mean Joe Kinnear doncha?
  • Slacker said:

I think you mean Joe Kinnear doncha?

Correct. Funnier than Roy.
  • edited April 2023
    Want him out ASAP...
    IMO it's his fault mainly that I'm getting angry about other teams results.
    He, with what he has has at his disposal should not have got us in this position...
    I mean, getting angry that Spurs lost in the final moment is not on, and Moyes, that's down to you...just IMO of course......
  • Jay, you’d really do that now??😳
  • Social media is full of news about possible candidates to replace Moyes. Almost all of the candidates being touted have failed somewhere and been sacked.

In the past we appointed Pellegrini because of his success and Manchester City and Avram Grant because of his success at Chelsea, but both appointment turned ut to be disastrous. Both were used to a 'no money no object' environment and failed at West Ham. Managers can succeed in some environments but not in others.

So the task is to find a manger that fits the environment, and deliver that little bit extra. Even that can be precarious. Leicester won the EPL with Claudio Ranieri in 2016, but soon he got the sack. John Lyall took WHU to the third spot in the old First Division in 1986, but sacked in 1989 as the owners sold key players. Graham Potter did well at Brighton but could not do the same at Chelsea.

So my questions are how do the owners/fans decide who is a suitable replacement for Moyes. What track record and attributes are needed. What is their analysis of environment?
  • edited April 2023
    It's a good question Pengeman, and I would imagine there could be a hundred different answers.

For a start I suspect what the owners want as priorities (e.g. stability, frugality) would be quite different to what the fans want (good football and trophies).

As you've stated - and as we've seen - past success is not a guarantee of future success, so I don't think either would be be too concerned about that. Premier League experience would probably be towards the top of the board's list of conditions, but let's be honest, it's a bit of a lottery; under different circumstances a manager can be viewed as either brilliant or useless (see Potter).

Personally, and I know it's a bit of a running joke, but I wouldn't be against Carrick. It would be a risk, but he knows the club so will have an idea of what the fans are about and what they want to see, he's played at the highest level for most of his career, has worked under Ferguson and Mourinho - two of the most successful managers in the game - and has also got Boro playing a very exciting brand of football which I think would appeal to West Ham fans.

Obviously none of that means he'd be a success with us. Lampard ticks similar boxes and look at his managerial record. But I think more than anything I want a younger manager with a different approach to what we've seen under the more experienced managers of Moyes, Pellegrini and Allardyce. I really liked the direction we were going under Bilic, where we had Payet, Valencia, Sakho and Song, but then Payet broke him and it all unravelled.
  • My worry about Carrick is his lack of experience. I acknowledge that he’s worked under some of the best and obviously his West Ham connection but I just think it’s too early yet.
    IF Moyes does go Potter would tick the boxes for me.
    Whichever way it’s a punt .
  • I think Potter would make the most sense. Chelsea was probably too big a jump for him; it may have worked under Abramovich but he went to a club now run by a complete basket case and given that Tuchel and now Lampard have struggled, it's harsh to deem him a failure, IMO.

Despite current form, I think we are still a bigger club than Brighton (although they seem to be doing an awful lot right in terms of how to run a club) so I think we would have represented a more natural step up for Potter. I'd be more than happy to take him in the summer, and would represent less of a risk for the board.
  • Pengeman said:

Social media is full of news about possible candidates to replace Moyes. Almost all of the candidates being touted have failed somewhere and been sacked.

Almost all managers have been sacked though?

In October last year, Four Four Two published a list of the 50 best managers in the world. Between them, they have been sacked 71 times, and 31 of them have been sacked at some point, and several of those who hadn't been sacked resigned after relegation or failure to achieve their goals (Eddie Howe, anyone?), or jumped before being pushed (Diego Simeone at San Lorenzo).

On their list was a certain David Moyes, who failed and was sacked by both Manchester United and Real Socieded, and quit Sunderland after failing to keep them up.

My point being that it doesn't really matter if a manager has failed elsewhere. The likelihood is that every manager we ever appoint will be successful for a while, and then not successful, and then they get sacked.
  • Personally, and I know it's a bit of a running joke, but I wouldn't be against Carrick. It would be a risk, but he knows the club so will have an idea of what the fans are about and what they want to see

I think that, for me, 'knowing the club' is a really bad thing to base any appointment off. He left nearly 20 years ago. And surely all supporters want to see their team play well and win...?
  • alderz said:

Personally, and I know it's a bit of a running joke, but I wouldn't be against Carrick. It would be a risk, but he knows the club so will have an idea of what the fans are about and what they want to see

I think that, for me, 'knowing the club' is a really bad thing to base any appointment off. He left nearly 20 years ago. And surely all supporters want to see their team play well and win...?
    Well, yeah, but that wasn't my only consideration for Carrick. What I mean is that he'll be aware of 'the West Ham Way' more than, say, Potter having been part of it for seven years, which can only be of benefit, IMO. A lot is spoken about the culture and identity of a club; Carrick would already have that from the off.

Plus I believe it would give him more time. A lot of people were against Moyes from the day he was announced - both times, actually - whereas I think Carrick would be given more of a grace period, which again can only be a good thing.

But putting his West Ham connections aside, I still think he's an exciting candidate because the turnaround at Boro has been exceptional and he was a very intelligent player and it looks like that has transferred into his coaching.
  • I also think Carrick would be an exciting appointment, I just think that too much is made of perceived 'connections' to places and people, IMO.

My current position on Moyes is that he should stay for the season, and if we finish the season strongly (i.e. playing how we did against Arsenal) then I'd like him to stay next year and see if he can get back to where we were. If we end the season poorly then I'd like for us to shake hands and say goodbye in the summer.

If we were to be looking to appoint a new manager in the summer, my shortlist would be Graham Potter, Michael Carrick , Giovanni van Bronckhurst, Lucien Favre, Patrick Vieira and Oliver Glasner. All of those guys look to play attacking football, and none of them feel out of our league (though Favre and Glasner might see Nice and Frankfurt as better propositions).
  • edited April 2023
    Ron Greenwood had no connection with West Ham before he became manager

Giovanni van Bronckhurst is an interesting suggestion

Lucien Favre was sacked by Nice in January

Oliver Glasner has another year on his contract and Frankfurt do have a chance of European football next season

Patrick Vieira's attacking football wasn't a great success at Palace...
  • Its a risk and could work or could be a disaster.
    Wasn't Parker in a similar situation last season?
  • Parker and Lampard did pretty well in the Championship. Would love for it to work but Carrick would be a risk.
  • edited April 2023
    Lampard started coaching in 2017, Parker and Carrick started coaching in 2018 but Carrick has only been a manager for six months

I'd say its a bit early to judge whether he's good enough to manage a Premier League side