Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• edited May 2023
    Brighton played possession based football to no end for years. Most seasons Potter didn’t really do any better in league position Thant Houghton before him I don’t think. Potter finally had them a bit more free flowing early this season but they actually got better after he left.

Wolves were playing possession based football under Lage as well. But they just kept it and did nothing with it. There aren’t that managers who can do it effectively for a long period. Possession based football gets found out as well.
  • edited May 2023
    IronHerb said:

alderz said:

The question is would a better manager than Moyes actually want to come here and could they make a significant difference without a large transfer budget to buy the players they wanted?

I think that Emery going to Villa when they were in the lower reaches of the table, with no continental football looking likely, suggests that we could attract a ‘better’ manager if we wanted. Personally I don’t trust the board to do that.
    True but they do have a couple of billionaires backing them.
    So do we, to be fair. Both Sullivan and Kretinsky are billionaires.

We're the 15th richest club in the world this year according to Deloitte. Villa dropped out of the top 20 this year having been 20th in 2022.
  • I just don't want to see the football produced this season replicated again next season and that's what going to happen if Moyes stays.
  • Like it, or lump it, mashed potato, he’s staying. 🥔
  • edited May 2023
    Wayne Veysey at Football Insider claim that "sources" have told him that Moyes will quit after the ECL final

https://www.footballinsider247.com/david-moyes-planning-to-quit-west-ham-at-end-of-the-season-sources/

Nobody else seems to have picked up on the story so far and no mention of it from the comms on Sky Sports
  • Sounds strange when earlier this week he was talking about his aspirations for West Ham.
  • So could by be Moyes last home game as well as Rice .Lanzini as well
  • I think if there was any truth to it then the pundits on Sky Sports might just have mentioned it in the pre-match chatter
  • I think you all know where I stand on this, I do not think it is true, i only wish it was :-)
  • Just a question to our friendly neighbourhood statter.
    What are Moyes' stats this calendar year? We all have complained about the football we were served last year and how we seemed to drop off after the turn of the year but how does 2022 compare to 2023 and 2021?
  • We’ve won 14 of 29 games in 2023 so far (all comps). 9 defeats. 6 draws.

• In the PL we've only won 6 out of 19 (8 defeats, 5 draws), so 23 points from "half a season".
  • I am pretty in the middle at present as I think the positive is that he has kept the team together during difficult times and he has seen us to safety. The negative is that we should not have spent most of the season worrying about being relegated after such backing in the summer and an already established team full of internationals. Should he stay I can see the argument for that, and should he be sacked I can see the argument for that also.

I don't hold up the conference final as some great achievement to make up for a very poor showing in the league as it is a poor competition and in truth we should have beaten every team we have played quite comfortably. The best we have faced so far was the team we just beat and they would probably be lower end Premiership, everyone else probably mid championship. Fiorentina will be a genuine test as they play in a strong league and will probably be evenly matched with us. It will add some needed value to the achievement should we beat them. I hope then we can have a good go at the Europa again next season should we win.
  • If we do win the final, it will be a very signicant moment for the club, players and fans. It would then seem harsh if Moyes was sacked.
  • The telling sign for me is that he has not lost the spirit of the squad all season despite periods of poor results. We have had a couple of heavy beatings (which is unlike Moyes) but other than that the side has kept a good togetherness & seems to show no resistance to playing for him. The ECL final is an achievement, I don’t think anybody should dismiss getting to the final of a knock-out competition, in Europe, & having to win around 12 games to do so. We’re not the sort of club littered in success to be saying ‘we should be winning 11 out of 12 European games‘.

It would take a brave person to dismiss a manager, who has achieved 6th, 7th, a European semi-final, a European final, has the support of the squad & bring in somebody else.
  • edited May 2023
    I agree with both Claretandblue and some of what Luke says… one sad fact Just to point out...We will finish the bottom of the 7 London teams.....that’s nothing serious I know, just a bit disappointing IMO.
    But even more laughable, Chelsea stand a good chance to be the 6th out of 7!!!....
    Flirting with relegation for the majority of this season has not been fun whatsoever……
    It will be interesting to see what happens over the summer…
  • But even more laughable, Chelsea stand a good chance to be the 6th out of 7!!!....

It's not out of the question that we finish above Chelsea; a 2 goal win against Leicester and 2 goal defeats for them against Man Utd and Newcastle I think puts us above them.

• I agree with a lot of what’s been said. The league this season has not been good enough. It’s not just the results, but the poor football for much of the season too. That can’t be repeated next year.

But I think the league form being poor makes the conference league even more of a success, in some ways. Every knockout European game has been played against a backdrop of immense pressure for the players and the coaching staff, and they’ve pulled through every time. Sure, the quality of the opposition hasn’t always been brilliant, but how many times have we been knocked out of cups by small teams? Astra Giurgiu anyone?!

Personally, I still want Moyes to stay. I think he is very capable of turning our form around next season. But I understand the arguments for wanting him to go, and I’m not going to shoot at anyone for coming down on the other side of the fence to me.
  • That’s good. Shooting people for disagreeing would be a disproportionate reaction imo.
  • That’s good. Shooting people for disagreeing would be a disproportionate reaction imo.

Well, you don't normally shoot people you agree with. 😉
  • Although you did threaten Rav for something he said hahaha
  • People don’t forget
  • I have. 🤔
  • At the beginning of this season, I hoped to myself that we wouldn't be relegated, as we had a European cup to distract us, and Moyes brought in a rake of new first-team players (Paquetá, Kehrer, Scamacca, Aguerd, Cornet, Emerson), which meant that over half of the team would not know how the rest played, and would take time to find their feet. In my opinion, this was compounded by injuries -we were unfortunate not just in the severity of some of them, but especially in the timing (imagine how much better Cornet would be playing in the team if he wasn't out for so long; imagine how much better the defence would be if Moyes had had a constant back four for a few months; imagine Scamacca if he had learned to play off a Paquetá growing in confidence).
    Possibly one could argue Moyes was slow to introduce the new players to the squad, and that three minutes per game doesn't really help a new player settle in to the team, but we have, in my opinion, one of the worst sets of fans for impatience, and I can imagine wanting to shelter your club record signing from boos and whistles should you have a nightmare opening game.
    I could see what Moyes was planning, though. We all agree the last three months have seen a very interesting team take shape. I for one would like to see what Moyes has had planned of this squad. Although Scamacca has apparently decided he doesn't want to stick around.
    I'd like to see who Moyes brings in to replace Rice and Scamacca, and give him another season.
  • Who said Scamacca does not want to stick around ,I for one have not seen any quote from him to that effect
  • Is he quoted in any of those?
  • IronHerb said:

Is he quoted in any of those?

Although Scamacca has apparently decided he doesn't want to stick around.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/apparently

Took me one minute.
  • That looks like the same story regurgitated 5 times. I believe it if it happens.
  • What's with the attitude? I looked at the links and they all say the same thing. Don't ever accuse me of being lazy, you don't know me, you know nothing about me. HOW DARE YOU!!!