Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• David Moyes might want to manage in the Champions League which he is more likely to do at Celtic than with us.

This season was the first time Celtic got to the Champions League Group Stage since 2017, they usually get knocked out in the qualifying rounds and end up in the Europa League
    MrsGrey said:

And maybe he's keen to be in Scotland for one reason or another.

His wife lives in Lancashire so moving to Celtic wouldn't be much closer to home
    Maybe his wife wants to move back to Scotland for one reason or another :p
  • Moyes' wife is also from Glasgow. Maybe for the pair of them home - as in where the heart is rather than where they live - is Glasgow.

I honestly don't think Moyes would see West Ham to Celtic as a significant step down at this stage of his career. And maybe he'd relish the challenger of trying to get Celtic to qualify for the CL group stages on a regular basis.
  • I like facts =)
  • ASLEF, Point taken but Celtic do actually compete in that competition on a regular basis where as we ..........?
  • Could be a win-win; we get the chance to try to move forward, Moyes gets out with his head held high, no black mark on his resume from another sacking, and gets to manage a club where he'll win things and could easily get to manage in the CL.
  • ASLEF, Point taken but Celtic do actually compete in that competition on a regular basis where as we ..........?

True. they are guaranteed to play in the Champions League every July and August...
  • Bazshuayi said:

I'm assuming Lingard will soon be available on a free ;-D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65789316
  • When did Andre Ayew go there? They signed a ridiculous number of players.
  • When did Andre Ayew go there? They signed a ridiculous number of players.

He was the 30th signing. He made 1 start and I think 8 sub appearances. Absolute waste of time.
  • ASLEF, At least they do take part in that particular competition unlike us?
  • ASLEF, At least they do take part in that particular competition unlike us?

In my opinion Champions League, Europa League and Conferences League only get serious once you qualify for the Group Stage.

We were knocked out of the Europa twice by Astra Guirgu before the end of August and didn't feel like we'd been in "proper" European competitions

In recent seasons Celtic have been knocked out of the Champions League by Midtjylland and Cluj

Scottish football is a two team competition, Celtic and Rangers would be Championship level at best
  • Stevie G won the Scottish PL with Rangers then went to Villa

Going to Scotland is admitting you aren't good enough for the Premier League
  • Anyone else a bit worried that all these teams that need new managers are going to hoover up the best ones? West Ham always seem to be the guy who arrives late to the party and finds the booze all gone...
  • Yes, just a matter of time before Rodgers and Potter are at new clubs. Moyes to Celtic would be a good thing
  • Anyone else a bit worried that all these teams that need new managers are going to hoover up the best ones? West Ham always seem to be the guy who arrives late to the party and finds the booze all gone...

I honestly believe a decision on Moyes should already have been made. And maybe it has, but if it has I think it should be communicated to the fans so the speculation can end.

Some stories yesterday were suggesting that Moyes' fate hangs on the result of Wednesday's game, which is madness, IMO. Winning a one-off game will not suddenly make Moyes’s perceived failures and weaknesses disappear; likewise defeat will not delete his perceived achievements and strengths.

He's been at West Ham long enough for the board to know whether they want him to continue. His tactics, his management style, his ambition and his ability should all be clear and obvious to them. If they're happy with him, keep him and let it be known that he's seeing out his contract.

To delay the decision for another week, or two weeks, or three weeks, is, as Kuching says, going to increase the risk of potential replacements being employed elsewhere.
  • So you think they should announce that they are going to sack him, if that is their decision, a couple of days before a cup final?
    Wow!
  • edited June 2023
    IronHerb said:

So you think they should announce that they are going to sack him, if that is their decision, a couple of days before a cup final?
    Wow!

No, I think if they're going to keep him, they should say. And I don't think the result of Wednesday's game should be the determining factor.

If they've decided to sack him, then I agree that shouldn't be made public until after Wednesday.

However, the impression I get is that they're still not sure about what to do. The fact they haven't said they're keeping him on might suggests that they're not, which I guess we'll find out from Thursday.

But if we win, do they sack him and then invite him back for the open top bus parade? Or wait till after the parade to sack him?

I just hope that they've made their decision, and if it's to replace him then I hope they're already talking to potential replacements. I'm just not convinced that they have.
  • West Ham could sack manager David Moyes if they do not win the Europa Conference League final against Fiorentina on Wednesday. (Guardian)
  • In a parallel forum Moyes has already decided what he wants to do, as have the Board. Both know the intentions and the Board have already lined up Moyes replacement, but will say nothing until next Thursday.

But then this is West ham, so we should assume it is all a disorganised mess ... ;)

Personally I hope we win on Wednesday and Moyes decides to give in to the lure that Celtic would (probably) be for him, making most happy ... until the replacement is named!
  • Ravel49 said:

West Ham could sack manager David Moyes if they do not win the Europa Conference League final against Fiorentina on Wednesday. (Guardian)

That's not much of a statement really is it? In depth reporting at its best.
  • Ravel49 said:

West Ham could sack manager David Moyes if they do not win the Europa Conference League final against Fiorentina on Wednesday. (Guardian)

So if we lose one game he’s good enough to stay, if we lose one game he’s not good enough.

Utterly ridiculous.
  • edited June 2023
    6th
    7th Europa League semi
    14th Europa Conference League final

Good luck any manager coming in topping that in three full seasons. In a years time we’ll be having the same conversations with a different name.
  • Lukerz said:

6th
    7th Europa League semi
    14th Europa Conference League final

Good luck any manager coming in topping that in three full seasons. In a years time we’ll be having the same conversations with a different name.

So any ideas what you’re gonna call yourself 😳
  • Dodger58 said:

Celtic would (probably) be for him, making most happy ... until the replacement is named!

I understand that a certain Mr Allardyce is available =)
  • Whilst the record over the last few seasons is obviously good for us, its more about the decline for me.

The inability to play a game outside of all hands on deck and lets hope we get a counter attack breakaway and dont concede much (as opposed to acknowledging we aren't skilled enough to keep the ball and pass it forward well).

It's about the style of play. I do believe we got high up in the league twice because of certain factors (discussed lots) and now most teams find it easy to play us.

As for getting to the final.... The competition is obviously lower grade than the Europa last year (and we were limping when performing heroics in the Europa until it just caught up with us). Dont get me wrong, I'm chuffed we are there. However, I dont want it to be a mask for whats gone on this season and a chunk of last.

With Rice most likely going we totally do need to decide one way or another what approach we will take next season. If we stick with Moyes we will have to address a few things and actually hope he can get us enough results with his style. I'd obviously love to know what targets (player wise) we are interested in and that list of players should be an obvious indication of what way we'd want to play. That comment itself poses the question as to aren't there players that can play good possession football and cater to the counter attack too? Yes, and I'd like to know which targets the club think are applicable.

Or... We have or should already have approached a new manager and be keeping it on the low until after the final. If so, then the same thing applies in terms of players to bring in and players we already have that would fit into the new managers style(s).

• Our style will change when Rice goes. He insists on playing the QB role and that just slows everything down. Don't get me wrong, Rice is immense for us, but he can hamper our progress moving up the pitch.
  • Apparently Moyes was asked if he was interested in the Celtic job on Friday and he said

"I've never even considered it."

“Through my years I have been linked with lots of jobs at different times in my career but I have to say I am really happy at the moment and settled where I am.”

https://www.thewesthamway.com/2023/06/02/im-happy-settled-moyes-dismisses-hammers-exit-speculation/
  • The top teams, usually with the most money, can buy the best talent and play possession based football without too much risk.

If you aren't one of them then it seems like a high risk strategy to say you are going to beat them at their game with less expensive, less talented players.

I guess it depends on expectations? For me, most important is to survive in the division and hope for a good position, cup run etc. I am less worried about the tactics and nuances of play. If we perform well, I love to see it but not at the expense of the result.

I trust Moyes, based on my preferences. I can completely get that if you have a different view of risk or different preferences you might want a different manager.
  • The top teams, usually with the most money, can buy the best talent and play possession based football without too much risk.

If you aren't one of them then it seems like a high risk strategy to say you are going to beat them at their game with less expensive, less talented players.

I guess it depends on expectations? For me, most important is to survive in the division and hope for a good position, cup run etc. I am less worried about the tactics and nuances of play. If we perform well, I love to see it but not at the expense of the result.

I trust Moyes, based on my preferences. I can completely get that if you have a different view of risk or different preferences you might want a different manager.

Brighton can do it, with fewer resources than us.

I do get the whole “survival at all costs” mentality, but if all we want to do is grind out results and finish mid table forever and maybe have a cup run every few years, what’s the point? We aren’t going to win the league, or much of anything, realistically. So I want to at least enjoy watching us play, personally.