Moyes In or Moyes Out

Comments

• The main thing now is we build on this moment going forward. To be fair to the owners, they said the aim was to compete on the European stage & win trophies for West Ham since moving in 2016 to the London Stadium. We have won a European trophy in 7 years & competed in Europe in 2 of those years.

A good summer of sensible business should see us set for another positive season, with or without Rice.
  • Antonio is ideal for games where we need a battering ram.

I agree, but this is where things need to change slightly. To me, a battering ram is a last resort, and shouldn't be the default plan. Particularly when your battering ram is 34!
  • Sky Sports: David Moyes expected to continue as West Ham manager next season following talks with club owners.
  • I don’t see this ending well tbh
    Will be gone in October having blown the Rice budget
  • I appreciate this should go on the other thread but an replying to the above. I hope you are wrong Ravel re blowing the budget like Harry did with the Rio money. If David Moyes goes for some of his rumoured targets then there is genuine reason for dismay but if he could actually change his mindset and go for a few left/right or centre field options then we could be in for a promising season next year. Several may leave to make way for their up grades would be sad to see Fornals or Cornet leave but not so much Antonio or Benrahma!!!! He needs to be very unsentimental with how he views the squad if he plans to keep us on an upward projection.
  • The evidence is not that Moyes will blow the money.

Soucek - £18m
    Bowen - £20m
    Coufal - £5m
    Benrahma - £25m
    Paqueta - £50m
    Emerson - £15m
    Kehrer - £10m
    Areola - £8m
    Ings - £15m
    Zouma - £30m
    Aguerd - £30m
    Downes - £12m
    Cornet - £18m
    Vlasic - £20m

£276m, average of £19m per player.
  • I will agree to disagree on that one 🙃
  • Moyes can’t possibly blow the money when it’s not him who spends it. I would rather have Moyes spend the money than have Brendan Rodgers do it.
  • Poor old Scamacca forgotten already?
  • Cornet will be the equivalent of a new signing next season.
  • I’m convinced Cornet will come good. He has everything there and just needs the finish. Maybe if that goal against Chelsea stands it looks completely different for him.
  • IMO, The jury is still out on him - he managed to get himself in a couple of promising positions, but essentially fluffed his line each and every time.

A couple of times, I thought he was too casual and a couple of time to elaborate

I certainly hope he comes good and I have piece of humble pie in the fridge and will be happy to partake
  • I do see that Chicago but I recall visiting the Burnley forums after we signed him and they were sorry to see him go and had only good things to say, so I am hopeful with a run of games he can make an impression.
  • I don't think the jury is sitting at all at the moment. You can't get match fit playing a few minutes here and there with the odd 90 minutes. We were generally excited when he arrived and I see him as a new signing for next year.
  • I think Cornet has a bit of Mane about him. He's quick, lively and unpredictable. Those sort of players aren't easy to get usually and that unpredictability can a chunk of the time lead to messing things up. But I'd rather we have a player or two like that. I remember Mane at Southampton and he was good but raw and a lot of the time things didn't work out. However, as he matured and played with better players he became extremely important. I think Cornet has plenty of potential and I am glad we got him. Hopefully he will be fit and get some consistent playing time
  • Scamacca is a good technical striker who could be ridiculous as he gets older/better. We may well not have him when that time comes. That's especially the case if we don't play to his strengths. He IMO should be our main striker next season if fit and not already sold. The team should play to suit him and if that isn't working after an hour or so then fair enough and lets see a bit of tactical variety. I think Antonio, again if he stays, can easily play/sun in for Bowen on the right and whoever is on the left side too,

With Bowen, Scamacca, Cornet, Antonio, Benrahma, Fornals and Ings its not like we don't have option to change it up and change our style during games
  • I think there's been so much noise about Scamacca wanting to go back to Italy that there has to be something in it; I'd be surprised if he's here next season tbh, which is a real shame as I agree he has it in him to be a very good player.

What would be silly to do would be to let him go to Roma on loan (as has been suggested Roma want), as that leaves us short of our main striker without the funds to replace him. I know we could afford to go and buy someone else, but that would only be at the expense of not strengthening the squad somewhere else.

No way we should entertain loaning him out, especially not to an Italian club; just look at what's happened with Vlasic at Torino. We gave them a heavily reduced option price, and they made an offer of not much more than half of that, even though it's clear they want to keep him.
  • The noise all seems to be either on here on media speculation. I can recall ever seeing a statement or comment from him that he wants to leave. The club has looked after him very well since he joined with his illness, family illness and his injuries.
    I may be mistaken but I thought I saw him at the final enjoying the celebrations. Obviously he wouldn’t come back to London for a bus ride and then go back to Italy for a holiday. Moyes has often mentioned he would be fully fit and raring to come pre season.
  • The noise all seems to be either on here on media speculation. I can recall ever seeing a statement or comment from him that he wants to leave. The club has looked after him very well since he joined with his illness, family illness and his injuries.
    I may be mistaken but I thought I saw him at the final enjoying the celebrations. Obviously he wouldn’t come back to London for a bus ride and then go back to Italy for a holiday. Moyes has often mentioned he would be fully fit and raring to come pre season.

He was at the final. There’s a video of Moyes spotting him on the pitch and the two of them hugging.
  • And there's a video of him getting his shirt signed by the other players, like it's the last day of Year 12.

I think that's what has convinced some that he's going.
  • IMO we should maybe give Vlasic another go, in his correct position. Good cover as a No10, and better than taking another loss.
  • IronHerb said:
    Time to close the thread?
    ;-)
  • Kind of surprised Moyes did not get a new 2or 3 year contract ,who is his agent ,clearly not a very good one ,The guy bought back a European cup
  • Nah, keep it open.

Fairly confident we'll be having the same debate in six months time 😄
  • That long?
  • You can never accuse OCS of not being an optimist 😁
  • Ravel49 said:

You can never accuse OCS of not being an optimist 😁

Remember how Payet broke Slav?

Slav's inability to turn around our form that cost him his job broke any optimism I had. Don't think I've ever wanted a manger to succeed as much as I did him.
  • steve said:

Kind of surprised Moyes did not get a new 2or 3 year contract ,who is his agent ,clearly not a very good one ,The guy bought back a European cup

Imo, if Moyes was out of contract now, I'm not sure he'd get a new one even after winning the cup. As thrilled as I am with winning the ECL, let's not forget that it's a competition that excludes all the big English and European teams. Apart from the final, which was pretty even going into it, we must have been big favourites to win our group, and all the subsequent knock-out ties. Basically we won a coin flip.

We finished 14th in the PL, we were in a relegation battle most of the season, we were 19th with 12 games to go, and it has to be said we played pretty uninspiring football for most of the season. Sullivan is just letting Moyes see out his contract, as he tends to do. Unless we have an exceptional season, I think there will be no contract renewal next summer, it will be like when Allardyce was let go imo.