Transfer Window: The Final Two Weeks

Comments

• alderz, How many of the new signings do you think will be regular starters? It appears David Moyes has lost patience/faith in some of the players & is looking to get new ones better able to chase a top six position. You could see virtually a new defence at some stage, is Zouma fully fit?

This is based on nothing other than my best guess, but I think Kehrer, Aguerd, Emerson, Cornet and Scamacca will start more games than they don't this season. I think Areola will be cup keeper again, and take over from Fab next season, I think Downes will be a sub.

Could be wrong, but that would make 5 of our first 11 new signings. That stresses me out a bit.
  • edited August 2022
    alderz said:

The thing about 'good window' vs 'bad window' is that it's only a good window if the signings work. Sign 8 players and finish 5th, it's good. Sign 8 and get relegated, and it's bad.

I personally am anxious about the idea of having 7/8/9/10 signings coming in in one window. Arguably, we could have a new first team GK, DC, DC, DL, LW, ST. More than 50% of the side changing in one go is a lot, and it presents a pretty big risk, IMO.

Absolutely it does.

Which is why the last two windows were so poor. A couple more in last summer and a couple in January would have meant this summer's business wouldn't have needed to be so impactful.

Plus, as already discussed, the bulk of the transfers being done in the second half of the window has meant that most of the new signings are having to integrate with the squad and learn Moyes' tactics on the hoof as we continue to drop points in the league.
  • Must just be me then.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • edited August 2022

We tried signing Vanaken 2 seasons ago.

Yeah I read that last week as well.😉

Yes Slacker I had. =)

Must just be me then.🤷🏻‍♂️

• alderz said:

The thing about 'good window' vs 'bad window' is that it's only a good window if the signings work. Sign 8 players and finish 5th, it's good. Sign 8 and get relegated, and it's bad.

I personally am anxious about the idea of having 7/8/9/10 signings coming in in one window. Arguably, we could have a new first team GK, DC, DC, DL, LW, ST. More than 50% of the side changing in one go is a lot, and it presents a pretty big risk, IMO.

Absolutely it does.

Which is why the last two windows were so poor. A couple more in last summer and a couple in January would have meant this summer's business wouldn't have needed to be so impactful.

Plus, as already discussed, the bulk of the transfers being done in the second half of the window has meant that most of the new signings are having to integrate with the squad and learn Moyes' tactics on the hoof as we continue to drop points in the league.
    I guess my view is "two wrongs don't make a right". Yes, the lack of forward planning a season or so ago means that we have a lot to do this summer. But I think that there is a big risk in making as many changes as we have. I personally would have been happy to see us keep hold of Diop and Vlasic, rather than make additional changes over what we needed.
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

Absolutely it does.

I guess my view is "two wrongs don't make a right". Yes, the lack of forward planning a season or so ago means that we have a lot to do this summer. But I think that there is a big risk in making as many changes as we have. I personally would have been happy to see us keep hold of Diop and Vlasic, rather than make additional changes over what we needed.
    I get where you're coming from from a morale/team spirit point of view (although I imagine both would have been unhappy if they were forced to stay), but keeping two under-performing players just to reduce turnover isn't the right course of action IMO.
  • Fab Rom:

Emerson Palmieri has completed the medical tests with West Ham - and he’s gonna sign the contract in the next hours. ⚒️ #WHUFC

Chelsea will receive £13m plus £2m add-ons. Official statement to follow once documents are signed.
  • Diop was being told he would be fifth choice when all the CH's were fit to play. Vlasic was being advised to get regular first team football to try to protect his chances of playing in Qatar 2022. We have made a rod for own backs & have got to deal with it as the squad needs improving, unfortunately it can't be done slowly over a couple of transfer windows.
  • Last season we finished 7th with Leicester 8th, Brighton 9th and Wolves 10th

We've spent £111m on six players
    20th, 0pts

Leicester haven't spent anything, only new player is a 3rd choice GK on a free
    19th, 1pt

Wolves spent £86m on three players
    18th, 1pt

Brighton spent £25m on three players
    5th, 7pts

Clearly a "good transfer window" doesn't guarantee anything
  • ASLEF, Bad windows don’t help, they let the wind & rain in through the cracks. 😉
  • ASLEF, Bad windows don’t help, they let the wind & rain in through the cracks. 😉

Since ASLEF is a train driver, I think he's very aware of the effects of bad windows. ;)
  • alderz said:

alderz, How many of the new signings do you think will be regular starters? It appears David Moyes has lost patience/faith in some of the players & is looking to get new ones better able to chase a top six position. You could see virtually a new defence at some stage, is Zouma fully fit?

This is based on nothing other than my best guess, but I think Kehrer, Aguerd, Emerson, Cornet and Scamacca will start more games than they don't this season. I think Areola will be cup keeper again, and take over from Fab next season, I think Downes will be a sub.

Could be wrong, but that would make 5 of our first 11 new signings. That stresses me out a bit.
    Lucky you're not a Forest fan then. 🤪
  • IronHerb said:

alderz said:

alderz, How many of the new signings do you think will be regular starters? It appears David Moyes has lost patience/faith in some of the players & is looking to get new ones better able to chase a top six position. You could see virtually a new defence at some stage, is Zouma fully fit?

Lucky you're not a Forest fan then. 🤪
    Forest are a weird one. I think if they don't buy a whole new team, they probably go down. If they do buy a whole new team, there's a chance that they won't. I guess the real issue for me is whether it destabilises. If you've not got much stability anyway (i.e. a lot of players left, and newly promoted) then it matters a little bit less.
  • There doomed, doomed I tell thee 🌳 🪓
  • This is an interesting video about signings this summer across the Premier League, but some specific West Ham chat. I'm a big fan of James Lawrence Allcott's analysis generally, and he sort of makes some of the points that I've been making on this thread.

• Fab Rom:

Contracts signed between Chelsea and West Ham for Emerson Palmieri. Deal completed, official statement expected later today as medical has been done too. ✅⚒️ #WHUFC

Chelsea to receive £13m guaranteed plus £2m add-ons.
  • edited August 2022
    Just taking a look at how Emerson compares to our existing fullbacks over the past couple of seasons. He has comparable passing and possession stats to Cresswell, and comparable defensive stats to Coufal and Johnson. He's not as creative as Cresswell, but he is a good passer of the ball, pressures well, and defends far better than him.

EDIT: He's also taken 41 corners over the past two season, so with Cresswell off the pitch he can replace him on them.
  • Fab Rom:

West Ham have submitted a new bid for Hans Vanaken. €11m guaranteed fee plus add-ons, but it’s not enough to convince Brugge. 🚨🇧🇪 #WHUFC

It’s unlikely that Club Brugge will let their captain leave 9 days before end of transfer window for anywhere near that offer.
  • alderz said:

Just taking a look at how Emerson compares to our existing fullbacks over the past couple of seasons. He has comparable passing and possession stats to Cresswell, and comparable defensive stats to Coufal and Johnson. He's not as creative as Cresswell, but he is a good passer of the ball, pressures well, and defends far better than him.

EDIT: He's also taken 41 corners over the past two season, so with Cresswell off the pitch he can replace him on them.

And an absolute steel on FF at 4m once he gets game time… next year *cough cough*
  • Romano has us increasing our bid for Vanaken from £8.4m to £9.3m.

As it stands, it's looking unlikely to happen.
  • That 0.9m could be vital, we’ve all been there on FF
  • Anyone else think that's a bit insulting? 🤔

If we reject a Chelsea offer of £100m for Rice, and they come back with an offer of £102m, we'd laugh in their face.
  • edited August 2022

Anyone else think that's a bit insulting? 🤔

If we reject a Chelsea offer of £100m for Rice, and they come back with an offer of £102m, we'd laugh in their face.

I'm not sure it's comparable.

We've gone from €10m to €11m, which means we've increased our offer by 10% in the currency that they deal in.

If we rejected a £100m offer for Rice and then got a £102m offer, then that's an increase of 2%.

£0.9m is a lot of money until you're talking about very big numbers.
  • Brugge won't be spending very much on players so it is an increase.

I can't say I'm bothered. I've never seen Vanaken play and he's not exactly young. But at those kind of prices, if we get him, it's not a massive risk. I'm a bit confused about what his actual position is because I think where we do need competition is at CM.
  • OCS, It's just another example of David Sullivan thinking he is Daniel Levy. :p
  • OCS, It's just another example of David Sullivan thinking he is Daniel Levy. :p

Just another example of an owner of a club with a finite amount of money to spend on transfers/wages
  • edited August 2022
    Simple if we can't afford to make a decent attempt to buy a player then don't submit low ball offers? Keep reading reports or watching videos of people saying David Moyes is now not looking to buy players who will all improve the first team but is now trying to sign squad players so his plan has changed. Many have said we can't buy the best option every time as we haven't got the funds to do so.
  • Simple if we can't afford to make a decent attempt to buy a player then don't submit low ball offers?

But we do have money. We’ve bid €11m and we’ve just upped our offer by 10%. This would be Bruges’ 9th highest ever sale.
  • I expect it comes down to how much the club value him at & how much we are willing to pay? Been through this scenario before & it doesn't always end well.
  • I would imagine he may have reservations about coming as would not be a certain starter and not of an age to want to bench warm waiting for his chance too long.
This discussion has been closed.