Transfer Window: The Final Two Weeks

Comments

• ASLEF, Thanks for clarifying that. =) The point is David Moyes is stating that he needs to ease the new players in as much so they have had a few weeks training but also so they can get up to speed with the Premier League. IF we had signed these players much earlier this summer, plus the additional ones I hope will arrive before the window shuts, they would at least have got a higher level of fitness. We knew we needed several new additions & we took our time. Both of the North London mobs appear to got on with getting their signings a lot quicker than we did?
  • We haven't had a real playmaker since Payet. Is it true he's available on a free ?

#runsforcover
  • ASLEF, Thanks for clarifying that. =) The point is David Moyes is stating that he needs to ease the new players in as much so they have had a few weeks training but also so they can get up to speed with the Premier League. IF we had signed these players much earlier this summer, plus the additional ones I hope will arrive before the window shuts, they would at least have got a higher level of fitness. We knew we needed several new additions & we took our time. Both of the North London mobs appear to got on with getting their signings a lot quicker than we did?

For fear of repeating myself, this is my biggest frustration. The Aguerd injury, fine, you can't really legislate for that. But we knew we had no depth in CM and Soucek's form took a dive last season, but our only signing in that position is a Championship player that Moyes doesn't think is ready. Three weeks (and three defeats) into the new season and we still haven't improved that situation. Same at LB; still no option to drop Cresswell and the only movement we've had is actually let his long-term back-up go. Hopefully that'll be resolved soon with Emerson coming in, but again, he'll need time to settle and get his match fitness up which means we could see another two or three games pass before he's an option.

I know that this isn't Football Manager and there is a lot more involved in real life, but given that we knew where our weaknesses were well before last season ended, I really think we should have planned better to get things done earlier, especially in the three key positions we needed.
  • We haven't had a real playmaker since Payet. Is it true he's available on a free ?

#runsforcover

Apparently there's a fee involved but we won't Payet
  • Hans Vanaken is being strongly linked with a move to WHU. Has he had a preseason? If not, it would be another player not ready to join the foray and before your know it quarter of the season would be over and the season's objective would be avoid relegation.

We are paying a heavy price for board dithering and the usual last minute approach. Teams like Forest and Newcastle have signed lots of new players and are up and running. But we are left behind.
  • Vanaken is a regular in the Brugge team and has already played competitive games this season. Fitness won't be an issue, but I would imagine Moyes will still start him on the bench for a few games.
  • OCS, 👍but that again doesn’t put in place making any improvement to the starting XI for a few weeks. 🤷‍♂️ Who is going to start the relegation thread! Real six pointer coming up on September 17?
  • edited August 2022
    Romano says we are close to getting Emerson
    1st part of medical today.
  • edited August 2022
    That signing will see us move to a back 3
  • West Ham to go back in for Vanaken
    West Ham United expected to go back in with an improved offer for Club Brugge midfielder Hans Vanaken this week after having a €10m bid rejected last week.
    West Ham have been encouraged by Vanaken’s desire to make the move.
  • Lukerz said:

That signing will see us move to a back 3

If that happens, I'd like to see Moyes try Ashby at RWB. Neither Coufal or Johnson are good enough in the final third to be considered wingbacks, IMO.
  • I think we’ll bring in a RWB on loan
  • Lukerz said:

I think we’ll bring in a RWB on loan

I don't think I've seen any rumours of a RWB coming in. Unless you consider Hudson-Odoi a wingback (which I don't). Personally, I think it's unlikely.
  • If Moyes wants to go to a back 3, which has been rumoured, he must be aware he needs a RWB.
  • Can't see him bringing in a RWB if we have a Coufal and Johnson sitting on the bench (assuming they aren't considered CB options which I would assume)
  • Unless there's an under-the-radar signing in the pipeline, I'm with alderz here; just can't see it happening. I don't think we've been linked with any RB/RWB all summer so it would be a surprise if it happened.

• Lukerz said:

If Moyes wants to go to a back 3, which has been rumoured, he must be aware he needs a RWB.

I think he'll feel comfortable with Coufal and Johnson as his options, personally.
  • Just had a though, what about Antonio at RWB 😜
  • edited August 2022
    …….just get Sakho and Reid back, and we’re all sorted!
    alderz said:

Just had a though, what about Antonio at RWB 😜

• Hamstew said:

Romano has gone full "here we go" so let's get that No33 shirt on the merch site and announce him already.
  • Hamstew said:

Romano has gone full "here we go" so let's get that No33 shirt on the merch site and announce him already.

• I feel the signing of Emerson will allow DM to play him as either a LB or LWB whereas my preferred signing would have been Sosa if we are going to play five at the back but he isn't too clever defensively but is a better attacking option IMHO.
  • Last season, saw Emerson Palmieri dos Santos play for Lyon and he was nothing special at LWB or LB. His defending was suspect. Couldn't Moyes try Longello or a young, hungry LB from a leading Championship side?
  • Emerson closing in on West Ham move
    Emerson Palmieri is having second part of his medical this morning ahead of his £15m move to West Ham from Chelsea.
    Personal terms have been agreed and a formal announcement is expected soon.
    He would be West Ham's seventh signing – taking their spending past £120m in this window.
  • Just need Vanaken & Lazaro & it will be a good window.
  • The thing about 'good window' vs 'bad window' is that it's only a good window if the signings work. Sign 8 players and finish 5th, it's good. Sign 8 and get relegated, and it's bad.

I personally am anxious about the idea of having 7/8/9/10 signings coming in in one window. Arguably, we could have a new first team GK, DC, DC, DL, LW, ST. More than 50% of the side changing in one go is a lot, and it presents a pretty big risk, IMO.
  • alderz, How many of the new signings do you think will be regular starters? It appears David Moyes has lost patience/faith in some of the players & is looking to get new ones better able to chase a top six position. You could see virtually a new defence at some stage, is Zouma fully fit?
  • Just need Vanaken & Lazaro & it will be a good window.

Tbh I’d never heard of either of them until a week or so ago.
    Honestly had you?
  • We tried signing Vanaken 2 seasons ago.
  • Yes Slacker I had. =)
This discussion has been closed.