Transfer Window: The Final Two Weeks

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Love that article, ald.
    Do you think we can move to a formation that uses his strengths and negates his weakness? A change of role?

Separately, I spotted a couple of typos/autocorrects. If you decide to revive the blog, I'm happy to proofread if you want :-)

Just a question - you use the heat maps from previous seasons to show that his legs haven't gone. But his 'can't defend any more' assessment doesn't compare past seasons. Has there really been a decline, do the stats show?
  • Good article alderz, although it would be useful to know if the stats (apart from the heat maps) are from last season or his career with us.

Might be worth including that fact in your article if you can still edit it (also you can PM me for a couple of typos if you want 😂🤣😂).
  • I noticed typos after posting (classic) so I’ll fix them tomorrow (possibly). And yes, comparisons make sense. I did it very quickly today, but anything I do in future I’ll try to consider all these points. Thank you everyone!
  • Despite that breakdown (which was brilliant BTW, thanks Alderz)....I still don't think Cresswell will look well as a LWB

Yes his attacking stats are phenomenal but always felt he was at his most dangerous when he crosses from further back...he isn't really a get to the byline and cross type of LB as he does lack pace

Knew his defensive stats weren't great....but that was quite eye opening just how badly he ranks
  • I did also think that "his legs have gone" is often a reference to what you mention later about his mistakes and not being able to recover, rather than how much he runs generally.

I actually think more than anything, he's lost composure. I don't think he's yet worked out how to deal with what he can or can't do.

Maybe we need to convert him to a CM :p
  • Cresswell's last season and current performances remind me a bit of Zabaleta's last season; he still wants to get forward, and although he does make it back eventually (hence the heat map), he's often too late there for what he was needed to do.
  • LCB is his future position for the last couple of years of his career
  • Lukerz said:

LCB is his future position for the last couple of years of his career

I'm not convinced we're going to play 3 at the back regularly, so he'll need to move, and in all likelihood move down a league, if he wants to carry on playing beyond this season imo.
  • I don’t see him needing to move down a league any time soon
  • I’m think he works as a centre back in a three, because he can get forward into midfield, but his defensive stats are just not good
  • edited August 2022
    He can play for Everton next season.. in the Champo 😜
  • Everton...They do deserve it dont dey doh

#made up if it happens
  • I know this happens all the time now but wasn’t this ‘tapping up’ back in the day
    When did this all change 🤔

Pierre Aubameyang update. Been told meeting with Chelsea on Thursday night was "very positive", personal terms won't be an issue - Chelsea and Auba's camp are on the same page about contract. 🚨🔵 #CFC

It's now time for talks with Barça -
  • I’ve not got anything other than just my best guess, but I think that clubs get permission to speak to the player, then they negotiate personal terms with the player and a fee with the club at the same time.
  • Good shout Neederz 👍🏻
  • So with Fofana then do we think Leicester have given permission for Chelsea to spk to him, 6 year deal has been agreed. But the sticking point is the transfer fee even tho Leicester are saying they don’t want to sell.

*Sorry for 2 Chelsea posts but just wanted to understand when this all changed as clubs used to get punished for tapping up
  • So from what I can see we are connected to -

Charlie Taylor - Talksport
    RLC - Talksport
    Vanaken - Everywhere
    Emerson - Evening Standard
  • Be happy with Loftus-Cheek, but surely it's dependent on Chelsea bringing someone in

He started against Spurs and came off the bench vs Everton...for the first time in a while doesn't really make sense for them to get rid of him
  • Forest getting gazumped last minute for Maupay, by Fulham. Forest fans up in arms. Happy days.
  • Are Forest still getting Aouar from Lyon? As they say “we should be etc”
  • Latest was

Crystal Palace are interested in signing 24-year-old France midfielder Houssem Aouar from Lyon, despite reports that he has agreed personal terms with Nottingham Forest. (L'Equipe - in French)

• Ravel49 said:

So with Fofana then do we think Leicester have given permission for Chelsea to spk to him, 6 year deal has been agreed. But the sticking point is the transfer fee even tho Leicester are saying they don’t want to sell.

*Sorry for 2 Chelsea posts but just wanted to understand when this all changed as clubs used to get punished for tapping up

Yeah I think examples like that make my theory look like garbage
  • But Leicester saying they don't want to sell could just be a means to get the price up. And the fact personal terms have been agreed puts the ball firmly back in Chelseas court to raise the offer.
  • IronHerb said:

But Leicester saying they don't want to sell could just be a means to get the price up. And the fact personal terms have been agreed puts the ball firmly back in Chelseas court to raise the offer.

Or does it put the ball in Leicester’s as they have a player who wants to leave and has a contract elsewhere. Might feel pressured to accept
  • And to think we could have had Fofana if Mr Sullivan hadn’t tried to play hard ball with St Etienne. 😬
  • He could have sat next to Oggy for most of last season.
  • Preston, But look how much 💴 we could have made now if he had signed for us?
  • But we wouldn't sell to competitors now we're massive.
  • With Og back and Dawson "not too far away", you'd have to assume we're not signing another CB. I was surprised to see Og playing last night but very pleased. If we can eek one more season out of him then we should be in a pretty good place once Kehrer's settled and Aguerd is back.

So LB and CM in the next week and a half?
This discussion has been closed.