Transfer Window: The Final Two Weeks

Comments

• I thought two signings in a week was a touch ambitious for us.

I actually thought he'd be a good signing. Not sure who these 'other options' are. Luke Thomas? Grimaldo?

Yeah I read that on KUMB as well.

• Just a left back if anything
  • Scamacca (23)
    Aguerd (26)
    Kehrer (25)
    Downes (23)
    Cornet (25)
    Areola (29)

Like how we've targeted younger players who are yet to get to their primes

Fabianski, Randolph, Coufal, Ogbonna, Dawson, Cresswell, Antonio the only players in the squad older than 30
  • I got all excited then for a minute, I thought they were their shirt numbers.
  • Slacker said:

I got all excited then for a minute, I thought they were their shirt numbers.

Can’t have two #25s. A true squad number fan would know this. #Squaddies
  • Think it’s outrageous that Alderz closed the other thread on 99 pages

That boy is power mad =)
  • alderz said:

I hope we don’t sign too many more, personally. I don’t like massive turnover in the squad

I actually think we're done. The last two signings have been versatile players and I get a feeling that between them Cornet and Kehrer will be used to cover the LB/LW/CB/DM requirements.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's seems a little too coincidental that we're suddenly cold on Emerson as soon as we confirmed Kehrer.

We've spent approximately £100m including the Diop money, which was the lower end of the reported budget, and have brought in six players. I think that might be our lot, in terms of permanent deals at least, with the possibility of a loan or two in the last few days of the window if some of the big teams are desperate to trim their squads.
  • Moyes said the other day he'll be looking right up until the deadline so I think we'll at least be trying to add more players
  • Can't say I know that much about other teams but doing a quick bit of googling it seems as though the below players are potentially available from the "top 6" for either loan moves or permanent ones

Man City: McAtee (AM)

Liverpool: Philips (CB)

Chelsea: Barkley (AM), Hudson-Odoi (WG), Gallagher (CM), Gilmour (CM), Ampadu (CB), Rahman (LB)

Arsenal: Maitland-Miles (CM), Pepe (RW), Nelson (WG), Bellerin (RB)

United: Garner (CM), Wan-Bissaka (RB), Bailey (CB), Jones (CB), Tuanzebe(CB/RB), Williams (LB)
  • Of those, Gallagher, Hudson-Odoi, Maitland-Nikes and Garner stand out as genuinely good options
  • Maitland-Nikes? New sponsorship deal?
  • But apart from Liverpool and City would the others see us as a threat and so not want to deal with us? 😉
  • Perm - Left Back
    Loans - CM + AM/RW
  • We don’t have to empty the transfer 🐈‍⬛ but there should be funds for a decent LB although when Aguerd returns how is DM planning to play him, Zouma & Kehrer in the same team as shouldn’t they all be starters?
  • Good use of emoji 😹
  • There's a chance that Kehrer plays the DM role and Rice gets more license to get forward. Soucek drops to the bench.
  • Pulisic seems to be in the columns for a loan move too
  • edited August 2022

There's a chance that Kehrer plays the DM role and Rice gets more license to get forward. Soucek drops to the bench.

To me this sounds like a 3-4-3.

Kehrer plays RCB & steps out into a midfield role with the ball when he carries it. He can also push higher up than the other two, making it a 4-3-3.

I always wonder whether we can get away with Fornals & Rice as a CM pairing with a back 3?
  • Pretty sure RLC will be available too.
  • edited August 2022
    I was thinking Moyes' more often used formation:

Fabianski
    Johnson Zouma Aguerd Cresswell
    Kehrer Rice
    Bowen Fornals Cornet
    Scamacca

Kehrer has played DM in over 50 games so is used to the position. It would allow Rice to play the role that both he and Moyes seem to prefer.

But yeah, Kehrer's versatility means that 3-4-3 is an option too:

Fabianski
    Kehrer Zouma Aguerd
    Coufal Rice Fornals Cornet
    Bowen Scamacca Benrahma

If that's a longer term option, that I think we need to look at an upgrade on Johnson/Coufal next summer; both are decent defensively, but are too lacking in their final third output to be effective wingbacks, IMO.
  • edited August 2022
    I am wary of playing players in their 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice positions. Kehrer is a CB so should play as a CB. Cornet is a left winger & should play there. I am not sure there has been many good utility players in the PL era.
  • Twitter says personal terms agreed with Vanaken but negotiations continue with his club.
  • Personally, I think long term we will end up with either a back three of Kehrer, Zouma and Aguerd, or if we do stick with a 4 I think Kehrer becomes our right back. I really like the way Arsenal's back four is structured, with the left back really bombing forward and the right back playing deeper (I've heard it described as an elbow back four). That's how they have Tomiyasu / White playing as a fullback, despite both being probably more suited to centre half.
  • Lukerz said:

I am wary of playing players in their 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice positions. Kehrer is a CB so should play as a CB. Cornet is a left winger & should play there. I am not sure there has been many good utility players in the PL era.

Kehrer is primarily a CB (164 games), but he's played over 100 games at RB and DM so I think he's more than a fill-in in those positions.
  • Lukerz said:

Twitter says personal terms agreed with Vanaken but negotiations continue with his club.

Twitterz ;hmm
  • edited August 2022
  • Fabianski
    Kehrer - Zouma - Aguerd - Cresswell
    Rice - Vanaken
    Bowen - Fornals - Benrahma
    Antonio

Areola, Dawson/Ogbonna, Coufal, Johnson, Downes, Soucek, Lanzini, Cornet, Scamacca

Not a bad 20 when all fit

• If that's a longer term option, that I think we need to look at an upgrade on Johnson/Coufal next summer; both are decent defensively, but are too lacking in their final third output to be effective wingbacks, IMO.

Maybe another year's development will improve Johnson...
  • I know Soucek was wasteful against Forest but I think it was promising that he got into the positions he did. He wasn't managing that last season. I think we'll see a few more games of him being given the greater license to get forward to see whether he produces because I think we looked way more like the 21/22 season in terms of attacking threat and fluidity. A back 3 might be the solution that allows Rice more freedom, rather than replacing Soucek.
This discussion has been closed.