Transfer Window: The Final Two Weeks

Comments

• Ravel49 said:

Latest was

Crystal Palace are interested in signing 24-year-old France midfielder Houssem Aouar from Lyon, despite reports that he has agreed personal terms with Nottingham Forest. (L'Equipe - in French)

Didn’t realise he was only 24. He must’ve been pretty young when everyone was after him then.
  • Moyes confirms he wants a LB to ‘help Cressy out’.
  • Lukerz, What to help Cressy out of the team? =)
  • edited August 2022
    I think, having watched Soucek yesterday, we definitely could do with an imposing CM this window. Not sure we are going to get them now, but Downes & Coventry are not going to get many PL starts IMO & Soucek really has struggled in possession. Hopefully, as shown by Forest, he may get a few extra goals as he seems to be getting into the box quite regularly but if he doesn’t chip in I am not sure what else he is bringing to the side.
  • Lukerz, Are you thinking about a new CDM as Vanaken isn't that type of player I understand?
  • edited August 2022

Lukerz, Are you thinking about a new CDM as Vanaken isn't that type of player I understand?

We've been linked with Fofana at Lens, who is more of a DM, according to KUMB today.

• Not sure Fofana is a DM. He bursts forward with the ball a lot. Had a great season last season but from what I’ve read it was because he was freed from defensive duties by another signing. I think he’d be a good signing though.
  • Couple of sources (Romano and Rosser) saying that we're closing in on a deal for Emerson. Few details to be sorted over the weekend.

Would be happy with this if we get it over the line.
  • Happy with Emerson, don't think he's an amazing signing but seems solid in a position we lack depth
  • Josh Sargent. Been very impressive for Norwich tonight. Two very good finishes and hasn't stopped running all night. Been a proper pest. Decent pedigree too having had three years at Werder Bremen.

If we're looking for an Antonio replacement next summer, this lad could be one to keep an eye on.
  • Newcastle and West Ham are watching events at United closely, they are both interested in Scotland international Scott McTominay, 25, as they believe he is the most likely midfielder to be pushed aside with the arrival of Casemiro. (90min)
  • I really think McTominay could be a great player for us. I’ve said it before, but I think he’s a really similar player to Rice - just not quite as good.
  • edited August 2022

Couple of sources (Romano and Rosser) saying that we're closing in on a deal for Emerson. Few details to be sorted over the weekend.

Would be happy with this if we get it over the line.

Found this comparison between Cresswell and Emerson on Twitter (from @Westham_data). The obvious caveat is that they played in different leagues, but I think it's indicative of what Emerson may bring to the team.

Based on last season's numbers, he looks to be much more of a direct attacking threat; progressive carries, take-ons (something we rarely see Cresswell do and the numbers support that), crossing and shot creating action stats are all much higher.

From a defensive point of view, he made almost twice as many tackles as Cresswell, but fewer interceptions.

Of the 12 categories, Emerson out-performed Cresswell in 9 of them. Only a snap shot of one season and, like I say, in different leagues, but I think it shows that Emerson would certainly bring something different, and arguably better, to the team.
  • OCS
    "The obvious caveat is that they played in different leagues".

Surely that negates the comparison.
  • alderz said:

I really think McTominay could be a great player for us. I’ve said it before, but I think he’s a really similar player to Rice - just not quite as good.

The problem with McTominay is he is the typical Manchester United player, self righteous. He will believe he is better than West Ham & so I hope he doesn't sign for us & am not sure he will pass the "David Moyes" test.
  • edited August 2022
    But at least they could understand each other.

I think McTominay would be a good fit, but as an alternative to Rice/Soucek, not the creative type we probably need.
  • alderz said:

I really think McTominay could be a great player for us. I’ve said it before, but I think he’s a really similar player to Rice - just not quite as good.

The problem with McTominay is he is the typical Manchester United player, self righteous. He will believe he is better than West Ham & so I hope he doesn't sign for us & am not sure he will pass the "David Moyes" test.
    Like Lingard then?
  • Dodger58 said:

But at least they could understand each other

……….if that’s the criteria, I’ll look out mŷ boots' 😜⚒
  • OCS
    "The obvious caveat is that they played in different leagues".

Surely that negates the comparison.

I don’t think it negates it, personally. It’s not like Emerson was playing in the Australian league. Sure, Ligue 1 isn’t as good as the Premier League, but it’s one of the top 5 leagues in the world.
  • Rumours this morning:

Emerson - close
    Maitland-Niles - permanent deal
    Gallagher - loan
    Vanaken - in talks still
  • I'm with Fortune here. McTominay always comes across as quite an ordinary player to me, and a bit snidey and entitled (reffing decision-wise) as if he believes his own hype; that because he's come through at Man Utd he must be brilliant.

Nothing special imo, and I can't see him going for anything that is remotely value for money because of where he's coming from. He does have the advantage of being HG through, which, if not relevant this season, could be soon if we lose the likes of Cresswell, Dawson and Antonio in the next season or two.
  • I've always quite liked McTominay. He's nearly always worked in a team where no AM or ST works back and also in front of an dodgy defence. In a Moyes team he would be surrounded by workers and I think the edge he has, you may call it snidey, is something we are missing.
    I'd take him but I don't see him leaving United because once Casemiro and De Yong show they can't handle the Prem he will be straight back in their team.
  • I think McTominay would be a really good player outside of Man Utd. I think he’s got a good engine, he’s very good at breaking up play, he is capable of picking a pass or grabbing a goal, and he’s 6’4. I just think Moyes would be able to make him into a proper weapon
  • McTominay is a thug ,Dirty little thug at that, dont want him anywhere near our team
  • Villa agreed fee with Sarr

Think with the Cornet signing it's one we can let go
  • Home debut v us next Sunday?
  • I’ve just seen this on Instagram and I think it’s really funny.

“… probably unbelievably skilful? Get him in”

Just highlights how easily people get hyped up about rumours of players they’ve never seen play, or even heard of sometimes.

• David Moyes’s West Ham United are interested in signing Lazaro from Flamengo in the summer transfer window, according to Fabrizio Romano.

The well-known and well-respected journalist has reported on Twitter that West Ham have approached Brazilian club Flamengo for Lazaro.

The Premier League club have made an opening bid of £6 million for the 20-year-old, but it has been rejected.

Romano has further stated that talks between West Ham and Flamengo are going on, adding that other clubs are also interested in Lazaro, who operates as an attacking midfielder or as a forward.

This might just give it a bit more credibility?
This discussion has been closed.