Transfer Window: The Final Two Weeks

Comments

• Sky saying it could be off.

French media saying Paqueta is close to agreeing personal terms on a five year deal.

This one will probably run well into next week.
  • Hamstew said:

£60m euros is a lot!

But not something we woulda been unaware of when we started trying to get him. Moyes couldn't have been clearer that he wants this player in, it really is down to Sully to stop messing around and get it done imo.
  • Hamstew said:

£60m euros is a lot!

£50.5m million. To put it into context, that's only £8m more than Gibbs-White.

I think we should push the boat out for this one.
  • I really don't know much about him to comment either way.
  • Hamstew said:

£60m euros is a lot!

£50.5m million. To put it into context, that's only £8m more than Gibbs-White.

I think we should push the boat out for this one.
    Or £25mil more than Bissouma
  • Good players aren't cheap.
  • Is Paqueta that good?
  • Did Paqueta play against us last season?
  • I wonder who WHU would be selling to accommodate Paqueta? Lanzini or Benrahma or both? If a choice has to be made I would like to keep Benrahma as I think he offers more. Lanzini has been a terrific player but not been the same since his injury. Maybe his best is behind him though who can forget his goal against Spurs in that 3-3 draw.
  • Ravel49 said:

Are they jumping around 😜

O.o
  • Pengeman said:

Lanzini has been a terrific player but not been the same since his injury. Maybe his best is behind him though who can forget his goal against Spurs in that 3-3 draw.

That rates with brookings FA cup goal and Adrian’s penalty, IMO.
  • It feels like a lot of money, doesn’t it? Remember our last couple of record signings and how they worked out?!
  • edited August 2022
    Pengeman said:

I wonder who WHU would be selling to accommodate Paqueta? Lanzini or Benrahma or both? If a choice has to be made I would like to keep Benrahma as I think he offers more. Lanzini has been a terrific player but not been the same since his injury. Maybe his best is behind him though who can forget his goal against Spurs in that 3-3 draw.

Of the 2 I'd definitely let Lanzini go. Benrahma has started the season brightly, is younger, and Lanzini is kinda living on past glories imo. However, Coventry should go (either sold or out on loan) before either of them imo.
  • edited August 2022
    alderz said:

It feels like a lot of money, doesn’t it? Remember our last couple of record signings and how they worked out?!

Ah, but were we massive back then though?
  • Lukerz, Thanks for the more positive news. 🤞SSN (Seth) was reporting earlier that he had received a text saying the deal was off?
  • Sky sports are saying we've had a second bid rejected
  • They’ve been saying that since before the twitter reports emerged. Really have no idea what the true timings are but would guess the Sky report is the current situation. If we offer the money Lyon want or somewhere near it will go through but Spurs are also interested and I expect they would pay the money.
    Time will tell.
  • Yeah some really mixed messages regarding this, this evening.
  • One of the ITKs with a good track record this summer over on KUMB has come out with a very positive comment about Paqueta late this evening, so 🤞🤞🤞
  • One of the ITKs with a good track record this summer over on KUMB has come out with a very positive comment about Paqueta late this evening, so 🤞🤞🤞

Just because he likes his hairstyle doesn't mean we're going to sign him. 😃
  • IronHerb said:

One of the ITKs with a good track record this summer over on KUMB has come out with a very positive comment about Paqueta late this evening, so 🤞🤞🤞

Just because he likes his hairstyle doesn't mean we're going to sign him. 😃
    I just wish I still had the hair to style like that :(
  • With you on that. 😟
  • edited August 2022
    New KUMB ITK is saying Broja, Gallagher and Januzaj are still targets.

He says we told Broja when we signed Scamacca that we'd be back in for him later in the window and that he's waiting for us. If Chelsea sign Auba then I can see him being available, and I did notice that when Antonio came on last night he seemed to play on the right with Cornet through the middle. Maybe Moyes is planning to play Antonio wide of the CF and that means Scamacca and Broja could compete for that spot?

I think it would be a close to perfect window if we end up keeping Rice and go into September with a squad of:

Areola/Fab
    Johnson/Coufal
    Emerson/Cresswell
    Kehrer/Zouma
    Aguerd/Ogbonna
    Rice/Downes
    Soucek/Gallagher
    Paqueta/Fornals
    Bowen/Antonio (or Januzaj)
    Benrahma/Cornet
    Scamacca/Broja

That would obviously mean buying one of Gallagher or Broja, which I just can't see happening if we drop £50m+ on Paqueta. So maybe it's a loan for one of those and if it's Gallagher, we sign Januzaj to cover Bowen and Antonio is a CF, or it's Broja then Antonio is used on the right and we don't sign Januzaj.

It also means we could, in theory, let Lanzini and maybe even Dawson go, particularly if the rumours of him wanting to move back north are true, to recoup a bit of money.
  • NOOOOOOOO!! We can’t sell Ballon Dawson!
    I shall be having a stern word with Moyes later on our weekly zoom call.
  • OCS, I reckon we might let Dawson go in January as IF he goes now we would only have a properly fit Centre Half until then? Zouma is struggling, Oggy is hopefully coming back ok & Aguerd is unavailable until ???

Reports Januzai came over on the same flight as Isak. Can see Everton still having a say in where Broja or Gallagher go if Frank pushes for one of them as part of the Gordon deal.
  • Ex says we’re in talks with Connor Gallagher over a loan with an option to buy next summer.
  • If this Paqueta news is true, this is a classic case of why you wait until the end of the window for targets. Paqueta clearly wanted to leave Lyon at the start of the window, & they wanted to sell, but he was probably anticipating a bigger Champions League club coming in for him. For a variety of reasons, the rumoured Man City’s & Arsenal’s haven’t (as yet), so he becomes a possible deal for us.
This discussion has been closed.