The Transfer Window

Comments

• Lukerz said:

What is Newman doing?

His job?
    I think Luke was doing a tongue in cheek post mocking the idea that Newman hasn't been doing anything, which is something that has been posted here and elsewhere a lot.
  • Haven’t Leeds signed six players already. Yes I know Phillips has left & Raphinha is going but some people are quick to make comparisons with other teams business. 😉
  • Ex says Downes is complete

Noble replacement sorted
  • So, without any last minute drama, we'd have 3 permanent signings before the first pre-season game

Not too shabby

Yup pretty good so far, we still need another eight at least though. We can’t rely on the same players who got us to two successive top seven finishes and a European semi final again surely.
  • Slacker said:

So, without any last minute drama, we'd have 3 permanent signings before the first pre-season game

Not too shabby

Yup pretty good so far, we still need another eight at least though. We can’t rely on the same players who got us to two successive top seven finishes and a European semi final again surely.
    I agree and with more squad depth could have made final and two top four finishes :)
  • edited July 2022
    Slacker said:

So, without any last minute drama, we'd have 3 permanent signings before the first pre-season game

Not too shabby

Another 8? I thought I wanted us to sign a lot but that’s crazy! We’re not signing 11 players in one window.

We needed 1-2 GKs, 1 LCB, 1 LB, 2 CMs, 1 AM, 1-2 Strs. 7-9 players. We’ve got 3 in good time, so good start! I would suggest that 2 of those could be youth promotions but that’s up to Moyes really.
  • 7 in total in the right positions would be aboit right as long as we dont lose any.
  • If this Downes comes in then a LB / Striker and an AM if Benrahma or Vlasic go and we are set for the season. Though could do with another CM also.
  • We also need a right winger to provide competition for Bowen, particularly if he continues to be an option through the middle.

Both Yarmolenko and Fredericks were used in that position last season, but with both gone, we need to have cover.
  • Slacker said:

Not too shabby

Another 8? I thought I wanted us to sign a lot but that’s crazy! We’re not signing 11 players in one window.

We needed 1-2 GKs, 1 LCB, 1 LB, 2 CMs, 1 AM, 1-2 Strs. 7-9 players. We’ve got 3 in good time, so good start! I would suggest that 2 of those could be youth promotions but that’s up to Moyes really.
    I think he's being sarcastic.
  • Haven’t Leeds signed six players already. Yes I know Phillips has left & Raphinha is going but some people are quick to make comparisons with other teams business. 😉

Is that Leeds that just escaped being relegated? And are losing their 2 best players?
  • MrsGrey said:

Haven’t Leeds signed six players already. Yes I know Phillips has left & Raphinha is going but some people are quick to make comparisons with other teams business. 😉

Is that Leeds that just escaped being relegated? And are losing their 2 best players?
    That’s because they are getting their transfer advice from Wombat
  • They're doomed.....
  • alderz said:

Lukerz said:

What is Newman doing?

His job?
    I think Luke was doing a tongue in cheek post mocking the idea that Newman hasn't been doing anything, which is something that has been posted here and elsewhere a lot.
    I was one of Newman’s critics. I stand by my criticism over what he’s been doing, but will happily change my view when he proves me wrong. ⚒
  • Give me a LB and a striker and I'd be happy

Wouldn't surprise me if we go into the loan with option to buy route like weve done successfully woth Soucek, Dawson, Benrahma, Areola and Kral
  • He's signed
  • The thing is we have no idea of what Newman has and has not been doing he may well have presented Moyes with an extensive list of targets which have been scouted and fit Moyes ethos but Moyes wants to take his time assessing his options . I hope his work is being done in the background and we won’t hear about it and end up with a few more surprise signings
  • Flynn Downes now official and on club website
  • MrsGrey said:

Slacker said:

Not too shabby

I think he's being sarcastic.
    Yeah, I think I selectively read “ we still need another eight at least though. We can’t rely on the same players” so my mistake 😂
  • Slacker said:

Not too shabby

😉

• MrsG, I think I made reference to their two main players probably leaving, well one has already. 👍 I still believe that we could have gone at least one better on all three fronts over the past two seasons IF we had made the signings we have still yet to make a new LB & an Antonio upgrade. That’s just my opinion but I have also heard a few people echo my thoughts.
  • alderz said:

Lukerz said:

What is Newman doing?

His job?
    Yeah, I know that, my reply was also tongue in cheek. Oh well, some work and others don't. ;)
  • This may provide some insight into what Newman has been up to...

• edited July 2022
    Two transfers and one loan deal made permanent

According to the Moyesometer that leaves another transfer and a couple of loans with seven weeks before deadline day

A striker, a Yarmolenko replacement and a Kral replacement

Just noticed that on Wednesday Fabianski signed for another season with an option for another year
  • ASLEF, What no new Left Back?

😱😱😱
  • In order of priority I think we now need first team options at:

ST (Broja/En-Nesyri)
    LB (numerous linked)
    RW (Sarr/Januzaj)
    LW (Lingard)

Then, if there's anything left in the pot, or some good loans available:

CM (particularly if Coventry goes)
    ST (maybe a versatile forward like Dennis)
  • The Twitter talk is that we now have very good links with the Wasserman agency (Moyes' son used to work for them and Warburton's daughter still does). We used these links to get the Downes deal done so quickly, apparently.

They obviously have lots of players on their books, but both Sarr and the Benfica left-back Grimaldo, who we've recently been linked with, are represented by them, so could be worth keeping an eye on those two.

😱😱😱
    I get the feeling Moyes isn't too worried about LB

Cresswell's contract expires at the end of the season, he will be 33 in December and a couple of months ago it was reported that he had bought a house up in Merseyside so he might be thinking of calling it a day

Masuaku will be here for another two seasons unless a team comes in for him

(where's the tumbleweed emoji when you need it?)
  • Grimaldo is a similar player to Cresswell. Good technique, good crossing and passing, decent defender but better going forward, short so a potential risk at the back post. He’s 26 so could be a long term Cresswell replacement.

That said, I agree with ASLEF. I think Moyes isn’t as worried about left back as a lot of fans seem to be. He wants a striker, he wants Lingard. I’m sure he’d take other signings if they were good enough in his mind, but I think if he got Broja and Lingard he’d be happy to call it a day.
This discussion has been closed.