The Transfer Window

Comments

• OCS, But does Lingard prefer West Ham or is it a case of no one giving him what he wants so he reluctantly agrees to join us at the last minute?

Thing is with Lingard, he knows that his next move is likely to be his last so he has a few things to consider; does he want trophies? Is game-time more important? Does he want to experience another league?

We will tick one of those boxes, but may not be the best offer on the table overall.

I suspect he's had a number of offers for quite some time, so with his contract due to expire today, I would like to think he's close to making a decision.
    Been nearly a week since I posted this and I've learnt that the maximum I'm prepared to wait is less than a week.

Lingard hasn't played much football at all in 2022 so you would think he would need (want) a full pre-season to get himself fully fit. By continuing to prevaricate over his next move he's cutting short his own pre-season and just gives an impression, to me at least, of indifference towards his career.
    Like many on here I would have liked us to have moved on from Lingard by now, and I’m now starting to hope he DOESN’T sign. His potential fitness issues, questionable form, and possible negative effect on the team could all be issues. We will never know if we missed out on others while chasing him; I hope not.
  • OCS, But does Lingard prefer West Ham or is it a case of no one giving him what he wants so he reluctantly agrees to join us at the last minute?

Thing is with Lingard, he knows that his next move is likely to be his last so he has a few things to consider; does he want trophies? Is game-time more important? Does he want to experience another league?

We will tick one of those boxes, but may not be the best offer on the table overall.

I suspect he's had a number of offers for quite some time, so with his contract due to expire today, I would like to think he's close to making a decision.
    Been nearly a week since I posted this and I've learnt that the maximum I'm prepared to wait is less than a week.

Lingard hasn't played much football at all in 2022 so you would think he would need (want) a full pre-season to get himself fully fit. By continuing to prevaricate over his next move he's cutting short his own pre-season and just gives an impression, to me at least, of indifference towards his career.
    Like many on here I would have liked us to have moved on from Lingard by now, and I’m now starting to hope he DOESN’T sign. His potential fitness issues, questionable form, and possible negative effect on the team could all be issues. We will never know if we missed out on others while chasing him; I hope not.
    Good point, this. Lingard was obviously very good during his loan spell, but you always got the sense he was a Moyes favourite and would start games regardless of form.

If he eventually signs, having missed weeks of pre-season training and walks straight into the team without proving himself, it may upset a few players.

• Dont want him now
  • edited July 2022
    While he admittedly is nearly rivalling David Moyes in his dithering, IMO he is still better than some we have…
    IF we do manage to get him I believe it’s a great signing ⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • edited July 2022

OCS, But does Lingard prefer West Ham or is it a case of no one giving him what he wants so he reluctantly agrees to join us at the last minute?

Good point, this. Lingard was obviously very good during his loan spell, but you always got the sense he was a Moyes favourite and would start games regardless of form.

If he eventually signs, having missed weeks of pre-season training and walks straight into the team without proving himself, it may upset a few players.

Players play, managers manage . To even think that a a serious premier league manager picks players on a “ favourite “ basis and not on form, fitness the opposition or tactics is quite frankly bizarre.

• Lingard has missed as much pre season as Rice and Bowen.
  • Not fussed on Lingard

Happy to have him, but you see other players that are on the types of wages he (reported) wants he doesn't stack up

Think he had a purple patch under us, something that wasn't sustainable for him to keep up as he's never shown in his career that kind of form

Hes a good player, but he's also nearing 30, he's basically been on the shelf for 12 months with very little football and given how long he's had to talk to clubs (foreign clubs from 1st Jan and domestic from 1st June) it feels like he's just after his biggest retirement payday (which he's entitled to but doesn't sound like that's the type of profile we need)

Glad if he comes but feel we're wasting our time and effort on him
  • edited July 2022
    IronHerb said:

Lingard has missed as much pre season as Rice and Bowen.

Rice and Bowen are having an extended break because of their exertions over the course of a busy season and their international commitments.

Lingard is having an extended break because he hasn't made a decision about his future.

Very different, IMO.

Given Lingard's supposed desire to play football, I would have thought he would have done everything to put himself in a position to be settled somewhere and 100% fit for the new season.
  • If he's seriously considering the MLS then I think we should swerve him; he could play for us for 3 seasons and still be good enough to get a contract over there if he really wants to play across the pond. If he's already looking at playing in an easier league, then I'm not sure he's the player we need.
  • Swansea midfielder Flynn Downes linked by Jacob Steinberg. West Ham fan apparently, which may give us an edge over Palace, who are also reportedly in for him.

£9m fee being touted, plus add-ons.
  • edited July 2022
    Haller to Dortmund

Should of been all over this 😜
  • We know that that's a parody account, right?
  • IronHerb said:
    Herb, is there any way this content can be viewed without a twitter account?
  • Haller to Dortmund

Should of been all over this 😜

Can’t believe we don’t have a sell on clause
  • Swansea midfielder Flynn Downes linked by Jacob Steinberg. West Ham fan apparently, which may give us an edge over Palace, who are also reportedly in for him.

Sky reporting a deal is close. £12m fee in total.
  • IronHerb said:
    Herb, is there any way this content can be viewed without a twitter account?
    No. You need an to open an account.

I know nothing about him - a good signing if it happens?

• edited July 2022
    Reports Sterling has agreed terms with Chelsea. Will that free up Broja ?

I don’t know much about him, but have just read that he’s 5’9, so he’s not going to be much of a Rice / Soucek replacement. If he comes in, he looks like he’ll be a deep lying midfielder who passes the ball well - a bit of a Mark Noble.

I know nothing about him - a good signing if it happens?

Combative midfielder but good on the ball, by all accounts. Had the highest pass completion rate in all four leagues last season, apparently.

Haven't seen much of him but Swansea fans speak very highly of him.
  • yoyo said:

Reports Sterling has agreed terms with Chelsea. Will that free up Broja ?

Hope so. Talk that he hasn't been included in Chelsea's trip to the US so that might indicate he's available.

If he's Moyes top target up front, I hope they get it tied up soon.
  • Downes' medical due in the next 24 hours, according to Sky. The club's Insta account is running with the imminent release of the away kit.

Smart money on Downes being announced in the away kit tomorrow?
  • C&H reporting Downes scored one goal last season in 39 matches whilst picking up 11 Yellow cards.
  • Can't say I know anything about him but on paper seems a nice deal

Natural CM, which we need
    23 years old
    Homegrown and a Hammer fan
    Not breaking the bank
    Championship experienced and seems to be fairly highly rated by Swansea fans
    Gazumping Palace
  • Does anyone know can he play LB or CF, well someone had to ask? 😉
  • Downerz
  • alderz said:

Swansea midfielder Flynn Downes linked by Jacob Steinberg. West Ham fan apparently, which may give us an edge over Palace, who are also reportedly in for him.

I don’t know much about him, but have just read that he’s 5’9, so he’s not going to be much of a Rice / Soucek replacement. If he comes in, he looks like he’ll be a deep lying midfielder who passes the ball well - a bit of a Mark Noble.
    There was some comment on KUMB about this; apparently he's taller than a couple of guys who are said to be 5'10. In the clip against Southampton he certainly doesn't look shorter than about 6'.
  • edited July 2022
    Thought this had already been posted:

Yeah, I know, anyone can look good in a Youtube clip, but seems very composed on the ball, lots of one-touch layoffs in confined spaces.
This discussion has been closed.