The Transfer Window

Comments

• Hamstew said:

I must admit, and I hate to be that guy, but this is all starting to sound very familiar.

Ex has said that there are ongoing discussions with a number of LBs, CMs, AMs and STs, but that nothing is close. Reported targets are seemingly heading elsewhere and there are rumours of tension between Sullivan and Moyes.

So yeah, there is a familiar feel to things but I'm hopeful that it's all just noise to fill the boredom of the close season.
  • There are better and more experienced strikers than Broja to be bought. I'd like him but not on a loan. Buy or look elsewhere.

As for Hickey/Lewis Potter, if they go to Brentford (as its still a step into the Premiership for them) and do well, then Brentford will get the inevitable profit.

It may sound cold, but if we genuinely wanted either or both of those players, it wouldn't take a lot to convince them to come here over Brentford
  • So I expect the conversation went a bit like this -

DS So David I have an extensive list of players we can make bids for. Who do you want us to prioritise?

DM I want Jesse Lingard, just pay him what he wants.

DS What about a new Striker and Left Back?

DM No I am happy to start the season with Michail & Aaron, just get me Lingard.

DS Ok I think we need a few extra players so I am going to work my way through the list and get you some players off it.

DM You do what you want. Have I told you I just want Jesse Lingard.
  • Reports we've bid for Amadou Onana from Lille but had bid rejected. Ex referred to having written something about it on his Patreon but I'm not subscribed so not sure.
  • Sky and Ex confirmed we've made a bid of €23mil, which ex says has been rejected, for Lille midfielder Amadou Onana

Expects a bidding war with Arsenal & Liverpool linked, Arsenal hold the more interest

20 year old defensive midfielder (6ft5) , squad player at Lille but Belgium U21 International and has a single full cap
  • Bidding war with Arsenal and Liverpool.

So basically we're not signing him then.
  • Bazshuayi said:

There are better and more experienced strikers than Broja to be bought. I'd like him but not on a loan. Buy or look elsewhere.

Why not loan with an option to buy?

We did it with Soucek, Dawson, Benrahma and Areola. So far Kral is the only player we loaned with an option to buy that we didn't offer a permanent contract at the end
  • Sky and Ex confirmed we've made a bid of €23mil, which ex says has been rejected, for Lille midfielder Amadou Onana

Expects a bidding war with Arsenal & Liverpool linked, Arsenal hold the more interest

20 year old defensive midfielder (6ft5) , squad player at Lille but Belgium U21 International and has a single full cap

Can't say I know much about Onana, but if this description is correct then he looks like a Rice/Soucek alternative, which I'm all for.

However, Ex has also said that we're still interested in Tielemans and Zinchenko, who are quite different players. So are we after a defensive midfielder? Or a left-sided CM like Zinchenko? Or a more traditional No8 like Tielemans?

I don't want to use the term 'scattergun', but if Ex is correct, then it looks like we're targeting three different types of player for midfield. Is it, as some (including Ex himself) have suggested in the past, that we're just looking at who represents the best deal rather than who best fits the team?

If we're competing with the SL6 for any of these (Arsenal are said to be interested in Onana and Tielemans) then I can't see us winning unfortunately. Our scouting team will have to work very hard to find someone good enough for European football that won't be subject to a bidding war.
  • Scouting team?
  • Zinchenko might be for the LB position.

I haven't watched Onana but from his reels he's one of those long-legged midfielders who carry the ball in big strides. Think that's the type of player we've needed for a while, more dynamic than Soucek. Think we've missed someone like that since we sold Kouyate.
  • Kouyate is available on a free. Best advise David Sullivan. 😉
  • edited July 2022
    There doesn't seem to be much interest in Vlasic, Torino were supposed to be interested but according to CalcioMercato they can't afford our price tag (€20-25m) or Vlasic's wages

I wouldn't be surprised if he's still here when the transfer window shuts and with Yarmolenko gone he might get a bit more playing time
  • When the transfer window whats? :)
  • Judge the window when it's closed, ASLEF...
  • OCS, I would rather be surprised sooner than be disappointed later. 👍
  • New keyboard smaller than the one I'm used to...
  • How to swear without getting modded! Made me laugh in this context.
  • Adriana Leon has left & joined Manchester United. A regular occurrence during the transfer window for the Women’s team, better quality players leave & we don’t normally replace them with ones of a similar ability.
  • Yet they had their best ever season this year. 🤔
  • IronHerb, Fair comment but their position I think was more a reflection on the failings of the other sides IMHO. They appear to have the same financial problem as the Men's team in that the top players go to the Top 4 Women's clubs so the gap is difficult to close. You just need to look at the England squad which prior to a couple of the players moving to European clubs had only one player not from one of the Top 4 clubs can you imagine if the Men's squad was the same.
  • Everton supposedly in for Broja!.😱
    Should we be worried yet about this transfer window?

Nope.
  • Slacker said:

Everton supposedly in for Broja!.😱

Nope.
    I wish I had your confidence. ⚒
  • My only worry is the amount of time it takes our negotiating team to get a transfer over the line. If Chelsea decide to keep Broja and Lingard decides he's not coming, will we have enough time to get in our back up targets?
  • My only worry is the amount of time it takes our negotiating team to get a transfer over the line. If Chelsea decide to keep Broja and Lingard decides he's not coming, will we have enough time to get in our back up targets?

It will all be different when we have Newman on board! 🤪
  • ScotHammer, We would never let that happen, would we, getting to the end of a transfer window and having not sign the players we desperately need? 😮

No
  • Not sure the contract details are Newman's job. I think he's basically the head scout, working on making sure we get the players who fit our needs rather than players like Haller who are good but not suited to us.
  • Rob Newman has been with us since October last year and we have signed a new Centre Half, that is slow progress! 😬
  • edited July 2022

Everton supposedly in for Broja!.😱

You're entitled to feel worried. And I understand why you would be.

Others, of course, won't be, as they're entitled to be.

I keep flip-flopping, to be honest. I do feel a bit frustrated that we've knew for pretty much a year that Noble was leaving, and must have known for at least six months that Kral wouldn't be kept on, and yet we appear to not be close on a replacement for either.

And that we're somehow entering our first pre-season game with less options up front than we ended last season with.

But I keep telling myself that there must be a plan; that there must be a shortlist that Newman, Sullivan and Moyes are working on in the background to make sure we have three or four more first team players before the ECL qualifiers and the Man City game.

The last two windows have spooked a few fans, so I get why there's some nervousness. Hopefully it'll prove to be misplaced and we'll see some positive movement soon.
This discussion has been closed.