The Transfer Window

Comments

• edited June 2022
    This Atalanta full back, Joacim Maehle, we’ve been linked with - does anyone know if he is left sided, right sided or either. Don’t know him, and wondering if he’s worth pursuing?
  • This Atalanta full back, Joacim Maehle, we’ve been linked with - does anyone know if he is left sided, right sided or either. Don’t know him, and wondering if he’s worth pursuing?

Listed as a right back but plays more for Atalanta on the left, but as a LWB i a back 5 it seems more than a tradiitonal LB (from transfermarkt/whoscored)
  • He’s right footed but played at LB/LWB in the Euros and performed really well. Was a big attacking threat.
  • So Richarlison and Raphinha are worth £60mil with two years left on their deal

So given Bowen has 3 years left, is arguably as good if not better and has the English Transfer Tax, if someone is after him then surely we can demand £75mil right?
  • Richarlison isn't worth £10m imo.
  • Dennis has better stats than Richarlison and is £20-25m.
  • Is it just me thats bothered by this Danjuma thing? Have I got this right? If you're considering paying a decent fee for a player, do you not check before approaching the other club as to whether your own manager fancies him?

I've already given up on Broja but Jesse's contract is basically up and apparently we've contacted his reps and presumably made an offer. Hoping Ex will make a comment or two when that contracts actually expired. It'd be nice to get him but if not, it'll be nice to know he's not coming and we can 100% move on to the other players on Moyes's wish list
  • It's a weird one Baz, for sure. Either Danjuma's not on Moyes' list at all and Newman has done the scouting anyway, or he's way down the list as a maybe, but not an 'at any cost' player.

As always, there's so much noise around our transfer targets/dealings, it's impossible to know what the truth is. I think the consensus is that Ex is the closest thing to a genuine ITK and he seems to be suggesting that Moyes isn't sure on the player as the financial side of the deal may impact on the Lingard/Broja deals.
  • edited June 2022
    I’m more bothered about the Lingard thing! Think he’s taking the proverbial now. IMO he’s had his chance and we should move on when there is time to get someone else in. It has been well known for a year his contract is up, and if we don’t have the negotiation done bŷ now……
  • The window closes 11pm, 1st September. Plenty of time.
  • The hope for Lingard.
  • edited June 2022
    IronHerb said:

The window closes 11pm, 1st September. Plenty of time.

Pre season has started, and the season proper starts in early August this year. To get the best start possible we probably need people in asap, before 1st September. Surely we didn’t employ Newman to leave it to the last day again?

• Nobody knows anything.
    Best that can be said of rumours is that it was a great album.
  • I’m more bothered about the Lingard thing! Think he’s taking the proverbial now. IMO he’s had his chance and we should move on when there is time to get someone else in. It has been well known for a year his contract is up, and if we don’t have the negotiation done bŷ now……

Although Man U blocked it in January, according to various reputable media sites.
  • MrsGrey said:

I’m more bothered about the Lingard thing! Think he’s taking the proverbial now. IMO he’s had his chance and we should move on when there is time to get someone else in. It has been well known for a year his contract is up, and if we don’t have the negotiation done bŷ now……

Although Man U blocked it in January, according to various reputable media sites.
    I thought we’d all agreed the only reputable source is Sky Sports News 🤪
  • Owen Wijndal to Ajax sounds like it's done. He was reportedly one of our left-back targets.
  • To be fair, Ajax 'scoured' the market for him
  • Scrub that one off the list then.
  • edited June 2022

Owen Wijndal to Ajax sounds like it's done. He was reportedly one of our left-back targets.

The Dutch league isn't a very good one, well it was deemed as that, due to Haller being able to score so many goals in it. No I am still not dropping this subject. =)
  • He wanted a clean and fresh start and Ajax can provide that...
  • Wijndal appeared briefly as one of our targets then was gone in a Flash.
  • OCS, But does Lingard prefer West Ham or is it a case of no one giving him what he wants so he reluctantly agrees to join us at the last minute?

Thing is with Lingard, he knows that his next move is likely to be his last so he has a few things to consider; does he want trophies? Is game-time more important? Does he want to experience another league?

We will tick one of those boxes, but may not be the best offer on the table overall.

I suspect he's had a number of offers for quite some time, so with his contract due to expire today, I would like to think he's close to making a decision.
    I think it’s between does he want game time and a chance to compete for a place in the England team again or does he want a max payday. We probably fit the former. And there may not be a latter.
  • IronHerb said:

The window closes 11pm, 1st September. Plenty of time.

Pre season has started, and the season proper starts in early August this year. To get the best start possible we probably need people in asap, before 1st September. Surely we didn’t employ Newman to leave it to the last day again?

Our best signing last year Zouma signed on 29th August

Lingard signed on loan 29th January....Bowen the 31st Jan...thw smae date that this season Luis Dias signed for Liverpool and Kulusevski/Bentacur signed for spurs

It's worth sometimes waiting it out and getting the players you want then panic and get in an inferior player who is a back up option
  • Wolves, Everton, Man Utd, Fulham and Leicester haven't signed anyone so far, not even U23s
  • edited July 2022

Our best signing last year Zouma signed on 29th August

Lingard signed on loan 29th January....Bowen the 31st Jan...thw smae date that this season Luis Dias signed for Liverpool and Kulusevski/Bentacur signed for spurs

It's worth sometimes waiting it out and getting the players you want then panic and get in an inferior player who is a back up option

But, if you wait it out and you don't get your first choice (eg Lingard in the summer) then you can equally end up with a Vlasic because no-one else is still available.

Also, don't forget we've got a possible 7 games before the window slams shut, do we, for instance, want Antonio to play all of those because we're still holding out for Broja?
  • But the issue with the smaller squad wasn’t the start - it was running out of steam. We’ll have loads of steam to start with!
  • If Antonio can't manage seven straight at the start of a season then he's got a problem, injury excluded.
  • He'll be banging goals in at the start, it's the rest of the season that's a worry.
  • edited July 2022
This discussion has been closed.