The Transfer Window

Comments

• Getting linked with every man and his dog again. Think Ex has released a podcast and from what I can gather he's said we've been offered Danjuma, have an interest in Cornet and McNeil (both Salthouse clients), and may look at Tielemans and McGinn as both are available.

Danjuma, Cornet, McNeil and the previously linked Lewis-Potter all play wide left, so if these rumours are true it looks like we're casting the net far and wide for another winger.
  • Again, I don't mind us casting a wide net, so long as they fit a similar bill. Cornet, McNeil, Danjuma and Lewis-Potter are all creative, quick wingers. I'd rather us find 4/5 options who feel like the same style of player, and seal one, than us identify one and then panic when it goes south.

If it's true that they're considering Tielemans, McGinn and Ward-Prowse, then perhaps we have more money for a central midfielder than we may have thought.
  • I would really like us to go for a proper CDM IF we are going to still allow Declan to maraud forward & need to find a way for Soucek to play in his best position. We do create a fair amount of chances we just need a better conversion rate from our main striker. Rumours of Doucoure to Palace and Fofana to Arsenal?
  • edited June 2022
    I cannot believe that we are (allegedly) thinking about selling Soucek . If and when Dec finally moves on, he will be even more important to the team IMO, and given our experience with Kral, we should realise good DM, that Moyes trusts, are difficult to find.
  • With Soucek, my sense from the reports are that he wants a new contract and that we are not ready to meet his proposed terms. Almost certainly as advised by his agent. If that has soured relations then I can understand we may be willing to listen to offers.
  • West Ham may be considering Tielemans, McGinn and Ward-Prowse but only one of those three is anywhere near viable IMO and I don't particularly want him anyway (that said, if we got him my appreciation would likely increase :) )
  • Seems as if Chelsea want to take Broja on their pre-season tour of America.

If, as reported, he's Moyes’s No1 target, then it looks like we'll be entering our pre-season schedule still with only one striker.

I get that pre-season is predominantly about fitness, but it's obviously a good opportunity for new players to settle and understand the manager's tactics.

Just hope we're not left hanging on for Broja, as we were with Lingard last summer, and have to take a Vlasic-esque punt on someone late in the window.
  • Moyes OUT!
  • edited June 2022
    Chelsea close to agreeing fee with Leeds for Raphinha, north of £55m, according to the Athletic.
  • Look on the bright side Leeds stayed up by the skin of their teeth and have sold their best two players, I bet their fans are overjoyed , I know wombat is :)
  • I thought Leeds were in trouble with their Mickey Mouse manager. Selling Raphinha and Phillips makes that more likely.
  • edited June 2022
    Not sure I like the five sub rule that was agreed. Top clubs cherry picking best players from sides outside the top 7 to stock up their benches knowing they will get plenty of game time.

City - Phillips, Cucurella
    Spurs - Richarlison, Bissouma
    Chelsea - Raphinha
  • Lukerz said:

Not sure I like the five sub rule that was agreed. Top clubs cherry picking best players from sides outside the top 7 to stock up their benches knowing they will get plenty of game time.

Chelsea - Raphinha

It's a horrible rule. Surprised the Other 14 voted for it, to be honest. Teams with deep squads can basically go NFL special teams during a game and change half of their outfield players.
  • Is this a case of Danjuma or KLP? That report indicates we didn’t progress our interest?
  • Lukerz said:

Chelsea - Raphinha

It's a horrible rule. Surprised the Other 14 voted for it, to be honest. Teams with deep squads can basically go NFL special teams during a game and change half of their outfield players.
    Yeah, it just makes it even harder to compete given they have strength in depth we can only dream of, and now can change half their team (bringing on fresh legs) whilst still maintaining quality throughout the 11 on the pitch.

Like you, I'm amazed it got through now that Covid is less of a factor.
  • I feel like it would have been a better rule if it was 3 subs + 2 home grown U21s, then at least you’d have younger players given more of a chance.
  • I can’t believe we’ve had Cresswell & Masuaku as our LB options since 2016.
  • Lukerz said:

Chelsea - Raphinha

Tbf I don't think that the 5 sub rule has changed how clubs do business, the top 6 have always been able to poach players from the others
  • Lukerz said:

Chelsea - Raphinha

Tbf I don't think that the 5 sub rule has changed how clubs do business, the top 6 have always been able to poach players from the others
    I think it has.

Look at Broja, as an example. It's a lot easier for Chelsea to say to him "look, we have 9 spaces on the bench, we get 5 subs a game, we want to keep you for the season, you'll get plenty of game time" and convince him to stay rather than look for a move.

Or look at Phillips. 6mths before a World Cup it's much easier for him to say "I know I'll definitely get game time, and won't be the new Danny Drinkwater".

Yes, they've always gone after the top players from other clubs, but to me it seems like an even more unbalanced playing field.
  • edited June 2022
    alderz said:

Lukerz said:

Chelsea - Raphinha

I think it has.

Look at Broja, as an example. It's a lot easier for Chelsea to say to him "look, we have 9 spaces on the bench, we get 5 subs a game, we want to keep you for the season, you'll get plenty of game time" and convince him to stay rather than look for a move.

Or look at Phillips. 6mths before a World Cup it's much easier for him to say "I know I'll definitely get game time, and won't be the new Danny Drinkwater".

Yes, they've always gone after the top players from other clubs, but to me it seems like an even more unbalanced playing field.
    Will Broja get more game time away from Chelsea, and I think with the new owner, who seems to be wanting to run the club himself, would you want to stay, or move to, what IMO will join manure as a basket case club for a few years.

I do hope that the new owner makes a complete muck up =)
  • I'm not sure footballers always think particularly logically, tbh. I think if I'm Broja, the argument for staying would be:

1. The (hypothetical) offer of first team football from the bench. Lukaku has left, there is no real competition at CF, he could be the first alternative to Havertz or a false 9 option.
    2. The chance to play in the Champions League
    3. He's been at Chelsea since he was 8, so it's fairly likely that he thinks of them as 'his' club. This is possibly his best chance to get some first team football and prove that he is the guy for them (a bit like how Tammy Abraham had that season where he was the main guy)

Personally, I think he'd be better off moving, but I see more positives to staying than I did 6mths ago.
  • Let's hope that he chooses the right club soon

I'd throw in a good deal for him, Where else could he get a 10% discount off of a wedding frock if he ever decides to get married =)
  • edited June 2022
    Nathan Trott extens contract to 2024 with further 2 year option. Fab getting on a wee bit and Randolph possibly surplus I can see Trott being number 2 in a couple of years
  • Still no new rumours on the "Transfer Window" thread I see. =) I am now seeing how many ways the "clickbait sites" can report the same story just with a different headline. :p
  • I hope that he goes out on loan again this year. First team football for a keeper that age is huge. I know AS Nancy didn't have a good season, but it's still a good experience for him to be a first choice.
  • Still no new rumours on the "Transfer Window" thread I see. =) I am now seeing how many ways the "clickbait sites" can report the same story just with a different headline. :p

Surely these are enough to be getting on with -

Pellegrini
    Raum
    Wijndal
    Ward-Prowse
    Sarr
    Dennis
    Lingard
    Danjuma
    Broja
  • IronHerb, Most of those apart from Wijndal are “yesterday’s” news. 😃
  • I'd say they were 'works in progress'. 😊