The Transfer Window

Comments

• So, if we believe the reports of the last two days, Moyes has rejected the opportunity of signing Danjuma (despite G&S being prepared to spend the £35m) in favour of signing Lingard, but Lingard wants £150k p/w which we're reluctant to pay.

• Our best signing last year Zouma signed on 29th August

Lingard signed on loan 29th January....Bowen the 31st Jan...thw smae date that this season Luis Dias signed for Liverpool and Kulusevski/Bentacur signed for spurs

It's worth sometimes waiting it out and getting the players you want then panic and get in an inferior player who is a back up option

But, if you wait it out and you don't get your first choice (eg Lingard in the summer) then you can equally end up with a Vlasic because no-one else is still available.

Also, don't forget we've got a possible 7 games before the window slams shut, do we, for instance, want Antonio to play all of those because we're still holding out for Broja?
    Here is the challenge for us summarised by Champo and Buffy imo.

We don't get to choose when good quality players sign, they do. It's usually in their interests to wait and see what offers they get.

We often present things as black and white when, in fact, they are judgement calls for both sides. I wouldn't want to be the one weighing up a big number of variables and deciding what to do. I hope our management team get somewhere close to what's best for us.
  • Surely it’s as simple as seeing what player the kids on Twitter are shouting about and then just go and buy him? I could do that.
  • But no one was calling for Danjuma, as far as I'm aware, so what do we do then? 🤷‍♂️
  • Reports are that Lingard is to snub us.
  • edited July 2022
    TalkSport saying we're his No1 option but only if we pay him £150k p/w.

Sounds like there's a compromise to be done, but we've had 12 months of this saga. It's exhausting.

Elsewhere, Spazio Juve are reporting we're close to signing LB Luca Pellegrini for £10m. Pretty sure this was also reported two weeks ago so probably recycled news.
  • The last month I've been playing a game of guess the player from the headline. Safe to say I'm pretty fantastic at it now hahaha
  • Preston, You are obviously far better at that than me as I have lost count of the amount of times I have read the same story about Lingard when it's disguised by a cunning title!

David Moyes needs to look at other options as the likes of Lingard & Broja would have to be brilliant to be worth all the time we will have spent waiting whilst missing out on more than capable alternatives.
  • I really don't know why Lingard has to take this long. I feel like there needs to be an ultimatum set so we can move on.

Especially if Danjuma is possible. He's had two consecutive good seasons in the Championship and La Liga (and Champion's League), which are competitive leagues. He's got a few years on him and could have decent sell-on value if he really stood out.
  • My feeling is that he would be grateful for an offer from Everton, which saves him uprooting his family too much. Still love him to be a hammer
  • I kinda over the whole lingard thing if he wanted to join I think he would have , I think he wants a better offer and he will wait and see who is prepared to offer him the most. I am at the point where i would prefer us to sign a younger player with something to prove
  • I just hope we don't waste the whole window waiting on players or teams to make their minds up. As it seems with Lingard and Broja.
  • If we are going to faff around waiting for Jesse to begrudgingly decide to join us & for CFC to get all their major signings done before they allow Borja to leave and he ends at Everton why don’t we just focus on signing a LB to stop me complaining temporarily about us having not signed a striker yet. 😉
  • Wasting time with Lingard, need to move on its that simple.
  • Sonny Perkins officially out.
  • edited July 2022
    Not sure why we would be happy to spend £35m on an unknown but reluctant to pay wages when we already know Lingard has played for us & banged in goals/assists.
  • Sonny Perkins officially out.

Entitled to compensation at least, wonder if we get some sort of sell on fee through the compensation as well

Disappointing to see him go, seemed (from everything we guard about him) a really really exciting prospect in a position of need

But hey ho, maybe he wanted too much money or maybe he wanted gametime we couldn't guarantee him

• It's always a shame when a young player goes but it sounded like it was around financial demands and there was no sign he'd earned the right to be expecting anything.
  • edited July 2022
    Sonny Perkins...If it's all about money, then he can go and do one....Greedy.....Guess he was advised into this, but hey, thought these days people of his age had enough about them to be realistic.....If it was game time he wanted, guess League 1 would be about right......

Sad that I feel I hope he fades into obscurity.....
  • We all know it’s fantasy type money but allegedly Yarmo was on £100 k plus,so Jesse for an alleged extra £50k is a no brainier for me. But and it’s a BIG but, nobody except those involved in any negotiations really knows what the figures are do they?
  • Slacker said:

We all know it’s fantasy type money but allegedly Yarmo was on £100 k plus,so Jesse for an alleged extra £50k is a no brainier for me. But and it’s a BIG but, nobody except those involved in any negotiations really knows what the figures are do they?

If anything that just sums up why we shouldn't just bow to Jesse demands

Just because we grossly overpaid Yarmolenko doesnt justifying grossly overpaying Jesse
  • Yarmo shouldn’t have been on £100K and Lingard doesn’t deserve £150K. Let’s move on please! Still need new players & the Premier League starts in five weeks. Is David Moyes becoming an issue? 😬
  • I believe, via communication with his agent, that we pretty much know the score wages etc wise. The money men say yes to a player the manager has wanted for ages or they dont. If there's a financial line we're prepared to pay and its X amount below Jesse's desires, surely we've had enough time to negotiate and find a solution (including saying goodbye). Bottom line, I'll be very irritated if he goes to Everton who are supposedly very much struggling financially (even after selling Richarlison) and purely because I dont like them :)
  • Is David Moyes becoming an issue? 😬

If he is then let's get some more issues like him please.

• Re David Moyes - It's a good idea that he has final say on transfers, I would just like him to make his mind up sooner and stop pursuing players that to all intent & purpose don't want to join us. I could go over all the old gripes about the lack of new players especially a striker in the last two seasons which may have got us a higher position in the league, can't prove it would, just the same as the critics can't say it wouldn't.
  • With Richarlison gone to Spurs Lingard to Everton looks almost inevitable

Lingard clearly wants to stay in the North West with his family and Everton's training ground is just 30 minutes down the M62 from Man Utd's training ground
  • With Richarlison gone to Spurs Lingard to Everton looks almost inevitable

Lingard clearly wants to stay in the North West with his family and Everton's training ground is just 30 minutes down the M62 from Man Utd's training ground

And the sooner the better
  • I said a year ago Lingard will end up at Everton and,while it's far from certain,I still think he will.
  • If a player ( Jesse?) rocks up at our place and helps the team do we really care how much he earns?
  • @Slacker. Put simply Yes as they would have to be able to take the team to the next level, Champions League qualification or winning trophies, and even then it could create unrest in the dressing room with a few of our other top players who are earning less. Unsure how it would impact on our financial regulations? Top six clubs can pay silly wages and as I have been told on numerous occasions we can't compete with these clubs.
This discussion has been closed.