The Transfer Window

Comments

• Tbh I think most people wouldn’t give a monkey’s.
  • edited July 2022
    We've got a new(ish) owner and we've got rid of plenty of wages (just Yarmo's makes a huge dent in it) If our offer to Jesse is underwhelming then its probably a case of us being tight. I believe we can match any other of the interested parties unless someone like Newcastle offer stupid money and then they can gladly have him.

Whilst I'd like him to come to us, I am still of the opinion that we've got enough money to get younger and better. If Moyes wants him enough he should push the board to make an offer that brings him here (as apparently we are his preferred option)
  • $20 Jesse doesn't go to Everton... Who wants it :)
  • edited July 2022
    Or... If Jesse goes to Everton I will not enter WHU606 fantasy league this season ;)
  • If you aspire for the top 4 / 6 then you need to fund the players who can take you there.
  • IronHerb, I agree but that is also the case with the large transfer fees which we are unable to pay so I am reliably informed. 😉
  • I think most people wouldn’t give a monkeys, but then Leeds, Portsmouth, Derby, Luton, Stockport, Southend, etc fans probably didn’t either. It’s in our interests to care.

In other news, I don’t think I’ve seen this posted yet

https://www.whufc.com/news/patrick-kelly-joins-west-ham-united
  • Would like to see a new Left Back and Striker in before the Pre-season game vs Ipswich. Get them gelled before Man City at home then Forest away.
  • It doesn’t matter when we sign players. Cresswell will be starting against City regardless of who we sign. As will Antonio.
  • Yeold, So would I but I fear it won’t be the case. ☹️
    Lukerz, If we signed one of the best left backs in Europe & had got Nunez would you be saying the same thing?
  • edited July 2022
    The club statement on Sonny Perkins is interested, basically accusing another club of tapping him up and criticising his agents. Feels like whatever happens next with him won’t be straightforward.

https://www.whufc.com/news/sonny-perkins-leaves-west-ham-united
  • George Moncur has signed a 3-year contract with Leyton Orient

Good luck to him
  • Lot of clamouring for Lingard, but I can't help feeling that he has probably past his best. He had purple patch at WHU but has not been rated by successive MANU managers. He reportedly wants wants £150k-£200k on long contract and his resell value would probably be zero. Time for WHU to move on to alternatives.
  • Pengeman, I wonder if someone could email David Moyes about this. 😁
  • Pengeman said:

Lingard...has not been rated by successive MANU managers.

107 appearances out of 144 matches while Mourinho was in charge, 75 out of 168 under Solskjaer and 11 out of 29 under Rangnick

OGS still unemployed
  • I don't think we mind what a player costs or get paid personally but i think when we refer to it we have an eye on it affecting other things. I think if you support City you have no interest if they are paid 300k per week as if it doesn't work out they will move him on and have another go. I think when we say that's too much we tend feel it may affect other transfers and our ability to get the squad right.

So as a brief example if we have a 500m budget and we pay 100m for Broga it doesn't matter but if we have a budget of 100m and we pay 60m for Broga I may think it's too much as it will reduce our chances of bringing in other players with what we have left.The same with wages as it reduces what we have to offer other signings.

Regard Lingard however any wages discussion must take into account the lack of fee, so I think 150k per week is very reasonable and £175k per week not extortionate.
  • Ronaldo has asked to leave UTD. I don't fancy him though, a poor man's Bowen
  • yoyo said:

Ronaldo has asked to leave UTD. I don't fancy him though, a poor man's Bowen

Nah, we should be………….😉

• edited July 2022
    A report I've seen says Spuds sniffing around Perkins. Hopefully not, I'd hate to think he's walked away from us to join them
  • yoyo said:

A report I've seen says Spuds sniffing around Perkins. Hopefully not, I'd hate to think he's walked away from us to join them

Ex said it yesterday - and that he’s a Spurs fan.
  • That'll be good for him then. He can watch them from the sidelines, never get into the team and then leave for another club (whilst still being able to watch them) :p
  • Rumours are Hickey & Lewis-Potter to join Brentford. ☹️. Expect the story will be we weren’t actually interested & you can’t make players sign if they don’t want to even if we were.

• Ex said it yesterday - and that he’s a Spurs fan.

😳
  • Rumours are Hickey & Lewis-Potter to join Brentford. ☹️. Expect the story will be we weren’t actually interested & you can’t make players sign if they don’t want to even if we were.

I can see the frustration. Both young talents in positions that we're short in and both at what should be an affordable price for us with good sell-on value. Very much the kind of 'Red Bull model' signings that Moyes has said he's a fan of.

The assumption is, therefore, that either Moyes doesn't rate them or we have better players lined up.

I suspect, however, that the worry amongst some fans is that we either don't have the budget for the 5-7 signings we need this summer, or that Moyes is 'dithering' and we're missing out on targets.

Early days still, but the obvious concern at this stage is that we've lost Noble, Kral, Yarmolenko, Fredericks and, to a lesser extent, Perkins, all of whom either had first team minutes or featured regularly on the bench, and have only brought in two players, one of which was here last season.

And the only new player is in a position that we were pretty well stocked in, in terms of numbers at least.

So I get why people are sounding off on social media. I'm trying to stay patient, although I'm not quite at the 'in Moyes we trust' mentality when it comes to transfer windows. I get the feeling that Moyes' main targets are subject to the domino effect that we generally see towards the back end of transfer windows, i.e. Broja won't be made available until Chelsea have brought in at least one striker, if not two.

In an ideal world we'd have our main targets in over the next week or so so they get a full pre-season under their belts; the reality is though that we're not in a position, financially or in terms of reputation, to be able to do that.
  • Or, as Brentfords transfer model is to be admired, we just wait to see who they're interested in (in positions we want) and do a Harry Redknapp last minute hijack on them (Lewis Potter and Hickey being the start of the practice)

#Simple
  • Yea Brentford are making some good moves

Will be slightly envious if they get Hickey and Lewis-Potter who on paper are players we would be interested in

But perhaps the fact they are going Brentford show that maybe, they aren't as good as we think they are as, with all due respect to Brentford, Hickey and Lewis-Potter have both been linked to "bigger" and "better" teams

But cracking deals for them
  • Never watched either so I can’t comment on how good they are & it I am envious
  • Newcastle in for Broja according to sky sports
  • Hamstew said:

Newcastle in for Broja according to sky sports

Weird one this. Particularly if Chelsea accept because the ITKs have regularly said that Tuchel isn't ready to let him go yet.

But if Chelsea are ready to deal, then we should just match Newcastle's offer, assuming of course that Broja is Moyes’s No1 target.

Being a London lad, you would have thought Broja might prefer a stay in the capitol, particularly if it's a loan as we have European football.
  • I must admit, and I hate to be that guy, but this is all starting to sound very familiar.
This discussion has been closed.