The Transfer Window

Comments

• Slacker said:

alderz said:

Slacker said:

We're not signing Rashford lol, no chance.

That’s the spirit.👍

So you think Rashford is a realistic signing?
    Who knows? I don’t and suspect that nobody on here knows either.
    No, nobody knows if we will or won’t sign him. I asked if thought he was a realistic signing for us, not whether you knew if we would sign him
  • Who would we prefer to sign if we are going to spend big on a striker - Rashford or David (Lille)?
  • Watkins.
  • alderz said:

Slacker said:

alderz said:

Slacker said:

That’s the spirit.👍

No, nobody knows if we will or won’t sign him. I asked if thought he was a realistic signing for us, not whether you knew if we would sign him

• Based on the fact we need several players adding to the first team squad, coupled with David Moyes apparent reluctance to use a few of the promising youngsters, I would rather we spent any money we have on recruiting from outside England where it is a common belief there is better value. Diaby for example is rated at £40 million or Watkins - £50m?
  • Still Watkins.
  • Slacker said:

alderz said:

Slacker said:

alderz said:

Slacker said:

That’s the spirit.👍

No way are we signing Harry Cane
  • Have we signed Rashford yet?
  • Slacker said:

alderz said:

Slacker said:

alderz said:

Slacker said:

That’s the spirit.👍

It’s not really splitting hairs though, it was a question that I asked and you didn’t answer, and still haven’t answered. Bit weird to seemingly think speculation is pointless on a speculation thread.
  • IronHerb said:

Still Watkins.

Why Watkins over all the other options there are some of whom would be cheaper and probably better IMHO?
  • I am feeling that if Rice doesn't sign a new contract this summer he is not likely to at any stage. This would mean we would sell this summer for a sellers price but move into buyers price territory next summer. He would most probably prefer a Chelsea move among the top clubs and Chelsea currently have a couple of players in Broga and Conor Gallagher that we would probably be admirers of, yet are not likely to become first choice at Chelsea anytime soon.

I love watching a genuine world class player in a West Ham shirt but would anyone feel it is a good time to look at an exchange in the region of the two above players plus 30-40m? It would likely never happen as it needs two players agree to leave Chelsea to come to us and Chelsea to give up two potential stars, but I think if it did happen I would be very sad to lose Dec but feel we may have done ok with such a deal should he continue to refuse to sign a new deal.

• Seems like we have more players leaving than coming in. Depressing 🙁
  • edited June 2022
    Daily Star reckon we had scouts at Austria v Denmark on Monday checking out Joakim Maehle and Christian Eriksen

Joakim Maehle only made 21 starts at Atalanta this season, rumoured he could be available for £15m but do we need another RB? Eriksen has been linked with moves to Man U, Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and probably every other Premier League club

Ex on West Ham Way claims that Oggy and Fab have signed 1-year extensions
  • IronHerb said:

Still Watkins.

Why Watkins over all the other options there are some of whom would be cheaper and probably better IMHO?
    Because I like him and think he would be a 15 goal season striker. You pay the premium but he's a known entity.
  • alderz said:

Slacker said:

alderz said:

Slacker said:

alderz said:

Slacker said:

That’s the spirit.👍

It’s not really splitting hairs though, it was a question that I asked and you didn’t answer, and still haven’t answered. Bit weird to seemingly think speculation is pointless on a speculation thread.
    He he, it is though innit really?
    The original post I replied to was that we are “definitely not signing Rashford “ so my answer is still the same really, that nobody knows that. We might, we might not. Is it realistic? Possibly, possibly not.
    That ok?

• Well, that cleared that up! To be honest I can't see Rashford here. He's had a dodgy spell but , if he's adventurous, I can see some big European clubs having a punt
  • edited June 2022

Daily Star reckon...

Just stop there.
  • IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

Still Watkins.

Because I like him and think he would be a 15 goal season striker. You pay the premium but he's a known entity.
    I like him too. Can play central or left side, is Prem proven, scores and assists plus works hard for the team/work rate is high. Hes also a good age and I believe he will get better
  • Daily Star reckon we had scouts at Austria v Denmark on Monday checking out Joakim Maehle and Christian Eriksen

Joakim Maehle only made 21 starts at Atalanta this season, rumoured he could be available for £15m but do we need another RB? Eriksen has been linked with moves to Man U, Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and probably every other Premier League club

Ex on West Ham Way claims that Oggy and Fab have signed 1-year extensions

Though he's right-footed I think Maehle played on the left for Denmark at the Euros and I think from what I remember it was a choice rather than about just fitting him in there. There are articles about how Conte has considered him for the left wing back position at Tottenham. He's quite attacking and cuts in on the right foot.
  • edited June 2022

Though he's right-footed I think Maehle played on the left for Denmark at the Euros and I think from what I remember it was a choice rather than about just fitting him in there. There are articles about how Conte has considered him for the left wing back position at Tottenham. He's quite attacking and cuts in on the right foot.

Good spot! Maehle does play LB/LWB for Denmark, just turned 25 with 28 caps. Could be useful
    IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

Still Watkins.

Last month there were reports that Villa would offer Watkins an improved contract to try to block a move to Arsenal and if they don't want to sell him to Arsenal they certainly won't sell him to us!

Arsenal are trying to persuade Eddie Nketiah to sign a new contract, Tuchel reported to want Broja to stay at Chelsea and Darwin Nunez of Benfica seems to be heading to Liverpool

It seems highly unlikely that any of the above mentioned strikers will join us and more likely we'll sign Emmanuel Dennis from Watford and Lingard on a free (and I'd be quite happy with that)
  • Not saying we will get him, I agree it's most unlikely, but we seem to get fixated on players like Broja who hasn't done a great deal and would still cost big money.
  • By we, you mean Moyes, because I don't really care how he costs, it's not my money hahaha
  • IronHerb said:

Not saying we will get him, I agree it's most unlikely, but we seem to get fixated on players like Broja who hasn't done a great deal and would still cost big money.

Broja is a little different, as he's only young and what he has done has been in the Premier League, but yes, I get what you're saying. The particular problem with him is I fear Chelsea would want a probitive buy-back clause which is lose-lose long-term; if he's a success we lose him, and if he isn't we have a poor player.

It's almost an extension of their loaning out so many players after hoovering up all the best young players; I really think that buy-back clauses need to be banned and there needs to be a limit on the number of players you can loan out to prevent Chelsea (in particular) ruining the development of so many youngsters (and giving our academy more of a chance, obviously I've a little self interest here too).
  • I don't think we'll get Watkins or Broja and I doubt if either of them will go anywhere this summer.

Maybe Broja could go out on loan again as Chelsea seem a little overstocked in that department but its pretty clear they're not interested in selling him at present.
  • Erik Pieters LB on a free from Burnley
    Allows funds to be spent elsewhere

Actually rate their other LB Charlie Taylor 👍🏻
  • By we, you mean Moyes, because I don't really care how he costs, it's not my money hahaha

I see this a lot, feel like people's issue isn't about the actual money its about how we're utilising our budget based off the fact we have a finite amount of money

Sure the club doesnt have a "budget" of a set value, I.e. moyes is told he can spend £50mil this summer....but we are limited in what we can spend

So hypothetically if we have £75mil to spend realistically, splashing £60mil on a Rashford probably isn't the wisest move with other areas also needed...and even though its not our money we should still be allowed to question how we've spent the money
  • With regard to buy back clauses I am not sure how enforceable they would be in practice.

Should a player move to another club I am not sure that he could be made to only play for his former club if wanting to move. If he refused to join Chelsea again for example I am not sure they could legally prevent him moving elsewhere.

They could perhaps insist they receive any fee above what they had agreed the buy back fee at, but this kind of makes it a sell on agreement rather than buy back.

Loan deals provide for the legitimate needs of a club who wishes support a players development whilst protecting their investment in him so I don't see a place for buy back.

Will be 34 in August, was out with a knee injury since February, came on for 18 minutes against Villa in May and was out for the last three games of the season.
  • Sounds right. 😁
This discussion has been closed.