The Transfer Window

Comments

• Lukerz said:

There is an argument to say Johnson could replace Cresswell as LB. Pretty sure he plays better at LB than he does RB anyway.

Surprising as id assume almost everyone thinks the exact opposite

Hes never done badly but we lose our shape as, while he has a good 'weak foot', he usually cuts inside and can't whip them in quickly enough, slows us down

Thinks he's a really good 1 vs 1 defender even at LB

But the only full back who plays on the opposite side is Canelo who is basically a playmaker at LB and someone they're arguably trying to replace as they're linked strongly to Cucurella
  • See I think he’s better on the left.

He’s more than good enough to attack & put in a cross on his left, but also then able to cut inside into the pitch on his natural right & open up passing opportunities.
  • Zinchenko plays CM for Ukraine but has only played CM for City 4 times in 128 appearances over five seasons. I suspect its not his best position and he'd be better as a LB

C&H reckons Rashford's price tag (£70m) and his salary demands will kill any hope of him joining us but if we did sign him I reckon Moyes would play him as a striker to give Antonio some competition
  • edited June 2022
    I like Rashford, but should we be filling our squad with costly players who struggled to get in a (relatively) poor Man Utd side? Hopefully Newman will have found similar quality for less somewhere else - although I won’t hold my breath as that jury is still out!
  • IF we had that type of money to spend on a striker, which David Moyes has already said he won’t be doing, we could have paid that for Nunez in the last window.
  • Lingard& Rashford.
    #dreamteam
  • Slacker said:

Lingard& Rashford.
    #dreamteam

Imagine them putting a few past Manure - it would be bedlam. =)
  • Lukerz said:

See I think he’s better on the left.

There's a couple of posters on KUMB that say the same, but I disagree, especially as Moyes is usually keen to play inverted wingers so the overlap and genuine width needs to come from the full backs. I'm not saying he can't occasionally provide cover there, but he's definitely stronger at RB, and there are definitely better LBs than him out there imo.
  • Whilst Rashfords form has dived off a cliff in recent times, not gonna lie, whatever the projected price is then I'd bite your hand off to get him if we had the opportunity. Thats purely on the premise his form will return and he will be main man. To get Jesse in behind the attack too would be way too much to hope for!
  • I've always felt Rashford was a bit over-rated, and his form post-Covid has been shocking. He's a huge No from me, especially at the sort of figures that are being mentioned.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Whilst Rashfords form has dived off a cliff in recent times, not gonna lie, whatever the projected price is then I'd bite your hand off to get him if we had the opportunity. Thats purely on the premise his form will return and he will be main man. To get Jesse in behind the attack too would be way too much to hope for!

Most recent reports reckon Man U have set his price at £60m and he's on £200k pw

We might pay £60m for a player but while Lingard's £100k pw is within our wage structure I don't think we'd match Rashford's £200k pw
  • ASLEF, I heard reports Lingard wanted £180k a week. 😬
  • edited June 2022

ASLEF, I heard reports Lingard wanted £180k a week. 😬

Where from? I notice that you frequently say ' I read' or ' I heard' but if these are other social media sites, we should just ignore them as they know no more than we do.

A plea to all posters - please say where your info originates, as a courtesy to other members who might want to judge whether or not a story is worth their time to comment on.

In a similar vein, please don't post links only - make a comment so a member can decide if they want to follow the link. We shouldn't have to click on a link to find out what it it.

Thank you :-)

( Sorry to hijack your post, fortune)
  • The 'reported' £180k included the signing on fee. If that were to be £10m (?) then over a 5 year contract that's £40k a week so salary becomes £140k a week.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Whilst Rashfords form has dived off a cliff in recent times, not gonna lie, whatever the projected price is then I'd bite your hand off to get him if we had the opportunity. Thats purely on the premise his form will return and he will be main man. To get Jesse in behind the attack too would be way too much to hope for!

Think that's WAYYY too bit a risk to take

Can't just splash a (likely) record fee and (likely) record wage on someone who "on the premise his form will return"

He's better than he showed this year, his 2020/21 form showed that but even that season he frustrated a lot of United fans, don't think his overall game has quite kept up with the promise he showed at 18

He needs a new start, but also there are no guarantees it'll work out elsewhere.....for me I think it would be too big a risk
  • I wouldn't pay 'any price' but form is temporary, class is permanent.

If Moyes thinks he can get a tune out of Rashford, I'm :+1:
  • He was training alone (warm weather training) recently in an attempt to impress the new manager. I actually believe for some reason he lost confidence. When watching him he was hesitant and his final thought processes weren't as before. I really doubt we'll have a chance to get him but the right manager and the right club (e.g. ours) could easily restore that. He's not lost pace, his just not as decisive but I think that and raised levels of clinical finishing will return. Its not like Old Trafford was a place that saw many thrive in recent times. He needs to do the old footballing trick of watching past vids of himself
  • In addition, he can play left sided or through the middle. I can dream of a restored confidence Rashford on one side, Bowen on the other, Jesse behind and Broja up top
  • At his best Rashford is worth that money but he hasn't showed his best for quite some time now. It's a bit like the Dele Ali gamble Everton took, he is undoubtedly a class act on his day but his days are few and far between now.

Rashford really needs a move of some sort, I think it could freshen him up and make him find his football again, just as Lingard did. There may be deal for a large loan fee of maybe 10m for the season. Man Utd get some money and save his wages, he gets a new challenge and opportunity to re-find his form and the loaning team get a potential season changer without committing 70m.
  • Sounds fair enough... Hopefully someone at West Ham also has this thought process
  • Bazshuayi said:

Broja up top

i wouldn't hold your breath. TuttoMercato reckons Tuchel will give Broja a chance in the first team squad next season

If he does leave the Daily Mail reckon we have plenty of competition with Everton, Newcastle, Napoli and Inter all interested (although Inter would prefer to take Lukaku on loan)

Guardian reporting that Aston Villa, Leeds and Tottenham want to sign Sonny Perkins who will leave on a free this summer as we have failed to agree a new contract
  • A few budding teenagers from Northern Ireland are now on West Ham’s books.

Coleraine chairman Colin McKendry believes teenager Patrick Kelly will smash it at the Hammers.

The 17-year-old midfielder is joining West Ham in a deal that Coleraine hope will ultimately be lucrative with add-ons, including a sell-on clause.

Kelly, who signed a professional contract with Coleraine in October, will link up with his new club after his international commitments with Northern Ireland Under-19s.

He will join fellow underage internationals Michael Forbes and Callum Marshall in the West Ham Academy.

“The clubs have reached agreement and West Ham were granted permission to talk to Patrick,” said McKendry.

“They were proactive, easy to deal with and good with the player.

“He’s a project for West Ham. No-one knows what the future holds but Patrick has the ability to be the next big thing.
  • Something I don’t understand is the notion that a player automatically gets a pay rise or at least the same wages if they move club.

In the example of Rashford, if he is leaving Man Utd it is because he has failed to impress recently. Why should that be rewarded with the same salary minimum? If we assume that he is happy to leave, then he’s in a much worse negotiating position than when he signed his last contract. He signed his last deal in 2019, at the end of a season where he had 23 goal involvements in 47 games, was aged 21, and United’s big new hope. This season he’s had 7 goal involvements, played half the minutes he played in 2018/19, and missed a bunch of games with injury.

I would love us to sign Rashford, I don’t think it’s likely, but I’d love it. But if he joins a club with a much smaller budget, then he should expect a smaller wage.
  • We're not signing Rashford lol, no chance.
  • have we signed anyone yet :P
  • We're not signing Rashford lol, no chance.

That’s the spirit.👍

• have we signed anyone yet :P

Yes, three new signings.

• Slacker said:

We're not signing Rashford lol, no chance.

That’s the spirit.👍

Copium
  • Slacker said:

That’s the spirit.👍

So you think Rashford is a realistic signing?
  • alderz said:

Slacker said:

That’s the spirit.👍

So you think Rashford is a realistic signing?
    Who knows? I don’t and suspect that nobody on here knows either.
This discussion has been closed.