The Big Europa League Adventure

Comments

• IronHerb said:

We end this season with, and carry forward, a UEFA Coefficient of 21 which places us 74th in Europe.

Our coefficient at the start of this season was 20.113, we're still ranked below Dinamo Zagreb (33rd) and should we qualify for Europa League we'd likely be in Pot 3 again
  • I wouldnt care what pot we were in if we made it
  • Too massive to fit in any pot tbh
  • That's just bad news for the other teams imo
  • IronHerb said:

We end this season with, and carry forward, a UEFA Coefficient of 21 which places us 74th in Europe.

Our coefficient at the start of this season was 20.113, we're still ranked below Dinamo Zagreb (33rd) and should we qualify for Europa League we'd likely be in Pot 3 again
    20.113 was the national coefficient. Our individual coefficient was something like 5. Teams took the higher of the two.
  • Let’s hope things work out and we get 6th and Europa League group stage. 7th gets us Europa Conference League play off to get into the group stages and there could be some tough teams in that.
  • I think we'll be seeded for that.
  • We go straight into the playoff stage and don’t get involved in the qualifying rounds but I think teams like Villarreal are also straight into the play off stage.
  • Possible teams straight into playoff round are 7th ie us or Utd from England,
    7th ie Villarreal or Athletico Bilbao from Spain,
    7th ie Roma or Florentina or Atalanta from Italy,
    7th ie FC Koln from Germany,
    5th ie Rennes or Strasbourg or Nice or Lens from France etc etc.
    plus teams from Holland, Belgium, Austria and Scotland
    Plus teams who get through qualifying rounds and teams who don’t get through Europa League qualifying rounds. 44 teams in all

• You can’t help but think if we were in the final, playing the same was we would be down to 10 men given the way that Frankfurt are tackling
  • edited May 2022
    The annoying thing is, If we'd have been in better form, we would easily beat either of these teams. 😡
  • Frankfurt could go the whole tournament unbeaten and still not win the cup.
  • When does bringing someone on for pens ever ever work
  • At least we went out to the winners.
  • The jealous spiteful part of me is glad Rangers lost. I didn't watch the match on purpose but smirked when I heard they lost 'heartbreakingly' on pens :)
  • Still angry at Cresswell.....

If he hadn't made that challenge and got himself sent off I truely believe we'd be Europa league winners right now
  • Bazshuayi said:

The jealous spiteful part of me is glad Rangers lost. I didn't watch the match on purpose but smirked when I heard they lost 'heartbreakingly' on pens :)

Me too Baz,Why would i want a german team to beat a british one?Two reasons i think firstly Eintracht beat us so then it doesn't seem so bad and secondly we are a better team than Rangers IMO.
    Definitely a bit of schadenfreuden. =)
  • Still angry at Cresswell.....

If he hadn't made that challenge and got himself sent off I truely believe we'd be Europa league winners right now

Yeah, feeling bit sore this morning to be honest. A small comfort that we went out to the winners, and the fact they went the whole tournament unbeaten makes me think they probably deserve it.

But...

Can't help but stew on what could have been. The poor defending 60 seconds into the first leg that allowed them to score, hitting the woodwork three times in that game, and, of course, Cresswell's completely avoidable red card in the second leg.

Proud to have made the semi-final, but we're plenty good enough to have won the competition. The fact we came so close and shot ourselves in the foot makes it more painful that we didn't.
  • Yeah for me we lost the tie in the first leg. Just constantly chasing the game. Obviously Aaron's red card killed any hope.
  • January hurt as had no striker to bring on, but hey ho
  • Let's pray that we don't say exactly the same thing next January
  • Rice and Noble, the club captains, have both commented on the small squad. Moyes himself has said that we've been short on numbers.

I'd be surprised, and disappointed, if we found ourselves in the same situation next season.
  • I'd settle for top seven and good cup runs....oh wait.....
  • January hurt as had no striker to bring on, but hey ho

Yeah, we should discuss this and perhaps mention it to the club as I think they may have missed a trick... (I still think I am more sad and irritated about the lack of Jan reinforcements for a league push alongside Europa challenge than anything else) :)
  • “We’ll TRY and get in a COUPLE of players in this summer”
    Let’s hope that was just a flippant remark.🤔
  • Oh dear that’s put me right off my Eton mess. :p
  • My Irish and Scottish colleagues love to tell me how they root for whoever England is playing against, so I’m glad Frankfurt won 😀
  • Once we were knocked out I lost all interest

Didn't bother to watch even though it was my day off yesterday
  • Just remembered that our qualifying game for whatever European competition we’re in will have no Moyes, Cresswell or (probably) Rice
This discussion has been closed.