The Big Europa League Adventure

Comments

• Now I have bad memory vibes of that low time when Cole, Lampard, Ferdinand, Carrick, Johnson, Defoe, Kanoute etc all left us in proximity :(
  • Bazshuayi said:

However, Rio Ferdinands allegiance with Man Utd actually sickens me considering where he came from

Peckham? O.o
  • Bazshuayi said:

However, Rio Ferdinands allegiance with Man Utd actually sickens me considering where he comes from. Then again, I dont resonate particularly well with people who are thick or have voices that make then sound so, or both :)

I'll be honest, I don't really get the Rio hate. I'm not his biggest fan, but he had eight years at West Ham and twelve at Man U. He spent the peak of his career in Manchester and won a lot of silverware. I can completely understand why he has more affinity with them than he does with us.

From what I can remember, he never agitated for a move away, and has never bad-mouthed the club. I get that his comments about Rice and Man U have rubbed West Ham fans up the wrong way, but I don't think that just because a player comes through the Academy, they have to forsake all others for the rest of their lives.
  • I agree I don't have any real dislike for Rio but I do think of him as a Man Utd fan. I don't really have any dislike for many ex-players, maybe Ince, but not even sure how much that was him or badly advised by his agent at the time. I have no dislike of Frank either.

I really do love Dec however and will be heartbroken if he resorts to agitating for a move if its not handed to him. I don't imagine he will for a minute, and even if he goes on to spend 10 years at a top club and lifts multiple trophies he will still be a West Ham legend to me.
  • Could we loan Lingard for a month. I'm sure he'd enjoy a European game or two 🤔
  • I can't stand Rio. I just think he's a Berk!
  • edited March 2022
    Hamstew said:

I can't stand Rio. I just think he's a Berk!

You really think that he's THAT bright
  • For what it's worth Rio has been indoctrinated by SAF in that Manchester United is all that matters. Where as I expect Joe Cole to be pleased & to cheer if any of the English teams do well in Europe I have yet to see Rio celebrate in the same way say if Liverpool win. If I am allowed I would like to put him in the same group as Martin Keown who still keeps getting airtime when he is so blinkered in favour of Arsenal.
  • nice to see Barca have rediscovered their form, not
  • Still cannot believe I’ve just watched a European quarter final draw in which I had a genuine interest, because our club was involved. I’ll keep enjoying the ride until I wake up!

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I am old enough to remember our adventures in ‘75 and ‘81. Who on here can remember ‘65?
  • MIA, Is that a vintage of a red wine? =)
  • nice to see Barca have rediscovered their form, not

Yeah, I noticed that, currently leading 4-0 at Real Madrid.
  • MIAHammer said:

Still cannot believe I’ve just watched a European quarter final draw in which I had a genuine interest, because our club was involved. I’ll keep enjoying the ride until I wake up!

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I am old enough to remember our adventures in ‘75 and ‘81. Who on here can remember ‘65?
    * holds up weak shaky hand.
    I was at Wembley on that magical night.

• MIA, Is that a vintage of a red wine? =)

I like to think of myself like a fine wine!
  • Slacker said:

MIAHammer said:

Still cannot believe I’ve just watched a European quarter final draw in which I had a genuine interest, because our club was involved. I’ll keep enjoying the ride until I wake up!

That must have been some night!
  • MIAHammer said:

I do =)
  • I do. Went to every European game. Such an adventure
  • Question - Does anybody know what happens to the ECL spot if the Europa League winners have already qualified via their own domestic league?
  • MIAHammer said:

Slacker said:

MIAHammer said:

That must have been some night!
    It certainly was . It was a magnificent game of football and we won it with two goals from an unlikely hero in Alan Sealey.
    The night was only slightly marred for a very very tired boy when I walked into a concrete pillar on Mile End station on the way home.
    Within minutes I had an egg size bump on my head, my elder brother thought it was hilarious and the old man still sent me to school the next morning.
    Great memories though.

• Question - Does anybody know what happens to the ECL spot if the Europa League winners have already qualified via their own domestic league?

It's only a bonus if the Europa winners are not in the top 4, so if they are the extra slot disappears
  • Expat, So if someone other than us were to win it say Leipzig who are currently in a ECL qualifying spot in the Bundesliga there would be an alteration promoting a team from another country?
  • Slacker said:

MIAHammer said:

Me too! =)
  • edited March 2022
    No, if in any domestic league the winners of Europa are not in CL qualification spot they will then qualify for the CL. Should they qualify by league position anyway then the extra slot is not given.

So, when we win it =)
    If we are top 4 we would have qualified anyway so no extra place, but if we're not we will qualify. I think it may be at the expense of a domestic Europa place, so if we win and the spuds finish 6th, hopefully they then only qualify for the conference version of Europa.

This is a scenario that would bring great smiles to my chops. However not as much as if they finish 7th and miss out totally =) =) =)
  • No, if in any domestic league the winners of Europa are not in CL qualification spot they will then qualify for the CL. Should they qualify by league position anyway then the extra slot is not given.

So, when we win it =)
    If we are top 4 we would have qualified anyway so no extra place, but if we're not we will qualify. I think it may be at the expense of a domestic Europa place, so if we win and the spuds finish 6th, hopefully they then only qualify for the conference version of Europa.

This is a scenario that would bring great smiles to my chops. However not as much as if they finish 7th and miss out totally =) =) =)

I don't think the Premier League loses a place if we qualify for ECL by winning Europa League. It's just an extra place as the most teams one country can have in ECL is 5. I believe that the only way that 6th place gets demoted to Europa Conference League (EUCL) play-offs is if Crystal Palace wins the FA Cup.

For now let's be realistic and assume we will finish outside Top 4. Let's also assume that the FA Cup is won by someone other than Palace. There are still opportunities for us to qualify for Europe next season:
    a) Win the EL and we qualify for ECL Group Stage
    b) If we don't win the EL, 5th & 6th get into the EL group stages and 7th would get into the Europa Conference League (EUCL) play-offs.
    c) If we don't win EL but Chelsea wins ECL and finish outside top 4, then there is a chance that 8th place could qualify for EUCL play-offs.

If we win the EL and finish 5, 6, or 7, then I believe 8th place will qualify for EUCL play-offs.

The interesting scenario would be if we win EL (and finish top 7), Chelsea wins ECL but manages to finish outside of top 4 (but still in top 7) and anyone but Palace wins the FA Cup. In that case, 4th place would lose out on ECL and get demoted to EL group stages. In this instance, does that mean that 8th place would qualify for EL Group Stages (in lieu of FA Cup winner) and 9th place would qualify for EUCL play-offs (in lieu of EFL winner).
  • MIA, I believe that we have a max of 7 European places
  • Ordinarily, the maximum number of English teams in UEFA competitions is seven.

I think this implies there can be more than 7, but I can’t work it all out this early in the day.

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained
  • I bet if it involved stats you could hahaha
  • I agree I don't have any real dislike for Rio but I do think of him as a Man Utd fan. I don't really have any dislike for many ex-players, maybe Ince, but not even sure how much that was him or badly advised by his agent at the time. I have no dislike of Frank either.

I really do love Dec however and will be heartbroken if he resorts to agitating for a move if its not handed to him. I don't imagine he will for a minute, and even if he goes on to spend 10 years at a top club and lifts multiple trophies he will still be a West Ham legend to me.

I have no issue with Paul Ince or Frank Lampard at all. Perhps just a case that some individuals annoy us and some dont whether theres good justification or not. Maybe it irritates me that Rio, I mean anyone, can have an affinity with Man Utd of all clubs! Yeah its his 'berk' qualities too, thanks for that comment Ham :)
  • alderz said:

Ordinarily, the maximum number of English teams in UEFA competitions is seven.

I think this implies there can be more than 7, but I can’t work it all out this early in the day.

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained
    It was the last paragraph that made me think it could be 8.

This UEFA Europa League group stage place will be in addition to the one for the club finishing fifth and to the places in the UEFA Europa League and UEFA Europa Conference League for the FA Cup and EFL Cup winners (or for the highest-ranked clubs not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League if the FA Cup and EFL Cup winners have already qualified for UEFA competitions through their league position).
  • Joe Cole, Jermaine Defoe, Trevor Sinclair, Glen Johnson, Freddie Kanoute and David James all left in the summer of 2003 because they wanted to play in the top flight, we were willing to cash in on their value and in some cases they were on serious money that we could no longer afford as a Championship side. If we hadn't got ourselves relegated they might have stayed

Rio played 12 seasons out of 20 at Man U during which time he won 6 Premier League titles, 4 FA Cups, 3 League Cups and the Champions League. Hardly a surprise he's fond of the club.
This discussion has been closed.