The Big Europa League Adventure

191011121315»

Comments

• Well, we won't be playing Astra Giurgiu as they were relegated last season and are bottom of their group again this season.
  • Well, we won't be playing Astra Giurgiu as they were relegated last season and are bottom of their group again this season.

Good news for the guy I overheard after Sunday saying he hopes we don’t end up playing the Gugujuju team again
  • Which instantly made me think how far we've progressed as a team since then
  • Astra Giurgiu finished 6th in Liga 1 2019-20 then 3rd in the "winners" playoffs

Last season they finished 9th in the "regular season" but 15th in the relegation playoff

This season they finished bottom of Liga 2, bottom of playoff group B and will play in Liga 3 next season

Romanian football is weird...
  • ...but still haunts us.
  • Here's something weird about Romanian football.

My friend is from Galati in Romania, so I am now a part time Otelul Galati fan (up the Oțelarii!), and I learned about their recent history. About 10 years ago, they were in the Champions League group stages, and their owner basically stole all the clubs money and ran away. They then got liquidated and formed a fans club that took their place in the league starting from Liga IV. The club wanted to get their history back, but it was put up for auction and they were outbid by a random individual who decided that he wanted to be the 2011 Liga 1 winner. Unfortunately for him, he didn't have any money and didn't pay for it, so Otelul eventually were able to buy their own history back from the failed auction.
  • edited May 2022
    Some interesting names joining us in the Europa Conference

Playoff round

Nice
    Fiorentina
    Villareal
    FC Koln

In the third qualifying round

Twente
    Anderlecht
    Dundee Utd (I can recommend some pubs)
    Panathinaikos

In the second qualifying round

Sparta Prague (Kretínsky conflicted?)

In the third qualifying round

Dinamp Tbilisi

• edited May 2022
    Europa Conference Playoff Round

Draw Monday 1st August
    1st Leg Thursday 18th August
    2nd Leg Thursday 25th August
  • Apologies if this was already discussed but why do we have to do a playoff? Or does everyone have to do that.
  • There are three Qualifying Rounds then a Play Off Round before the Group Stage. We go straight into the Play Off Round as the EFL Cup representative for England.
  • Does anyone know yet whether the Play Off draw is an open one or can we avoid one of our bigger rivals by being seeded?
  • We can play anyone.
  • We can play anyone.

Cos we’re massive.

• There is seeding but its a bit complicated

Basically we won't play Villareal or any of the big teams including those who drop down from the Europa League
This discussion has been closed.