Other Matches - 7th May

12345679»

Comments

• Sadly think Liverpool will get top 4...
    That is so gutting, IMO far more than us missing out...
    Top 6 for us will still be a hell of an achievement IMO ⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • Jorderz, record points and no Europa League won’t be a success, but that’s just me expecting us to finish the job having come so far, to fail will be a major disappointment, which of course we won’t, will we?

With you on this Fortune. Considering we've been in the European places for a large part of the season, I don't think record points would constitute a success if we have no reward for it. Finishing 8th with record points is like when we got relegated in 2003 with 42 points - the points are largely irrelevant; the outcome is all that really matters.
  • Cuz, IMHO We really shouldn’t be looking for other teams to be doing us favours 👍. If we don’t see it through now there will be plenty of blame to be apportioned but I really hope it isn’t going to be needed. 🙏

We could finish this season with our highest ever PL points total.

Why are we talking about ‘blame’?
    Personally, I think blame can be apportioned if we don't qualify for Europe.

We were on equal points with 5th place when the January transfer window opened, and entered the last week of the window in 4th place in our own right. If we had strengthened the squad we could have given ourselves a better chance of holding on; instead we basically swapped Haller for Lingard, which obviously worked out, but other areas were, IMO, neglected.

Obviously no-one knows what would have happened if Sullivan paid the £40m that would have got Moyes the striker he wanted in January, or if Moyes had accepted one of the strikers Sullivan was prepared to get, or if Cullen wasn't sold for £500k and was available to cover Rice's injury, but if we don't make Europe, I think I'd find it difficult not to blame the board for running the squad so thin.
  • Every team goes through a rough patch throughout a season(even man city!).It's just unfortunely we are having ours now.
    As others have said losing Rice has been a big blow and imo the pressure of staying in the top four has got to the players and the manager.
    Although a CL place has gone it's still in our hands to achieve a europa league place.
    Lets not mess it up.
  • To be fair, when we lost Rice, Antonio & then Cresswell & Masuaku, plus being without Ogbonna for a few months, we could easily have slipped towards mid-table.

We’re still in that top 6 with three games left, looking at fixtures, I would say 4 points will guarantee us top 7. Obviously we want to try & finish 6th & I do think, with Liverpool’s fixtures, 6th is best case scenario now.
  • I wouldn't mind being in the UEFA Conference League. Imagine if we won the inaugural season. We'd be a pub quiz answer forever!
  • edited May 2021
    I think it’s important not to get too disheartened with league place. Clearly if we finished 8th, we’d all be gutted to miss out on Europe after being in the top 6 most of 2021. But since promotion to the Premier League in 2005, our highest league points tally is 62. If we beat that this season, regardless of whether that means 5th or 8th, it’s a very good season. The reality is that those places are only going to be settled by a few points. 5th is not going to be far off 9th. There are a bunch of clubs between Leicester and Arsenal who, this season, have shown they are all not far away from each other. This is shown by the fact we have taken 6 points off Leicester & 4 off Spurs, plus 3 off Everton, yet 1 combined from Arsenal, Liverpool & Chelsea. An example is we were 10th on New Years Day, yet that was actually joint 5th.
  • After last season I won't disappointed to finish 8th but I'll be looking forward to improving on 8th and qualifying for Europe next season
  • After last season I won't disappointed to finish 8th but I'll be looking forward to improving on 8th and qualifying for Europe next season

And this is my frustration. I don't think we will. We've been in genuine competition with Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester and Spurs this season (we could technically still finish above all of them), but I can't see it happening again any time soon. Liverpool will mitigate the risks around losing their best players to injury given how they've suffered this season, Chelsea will continue to get better under Tuchel, Leicester are one of the best run clubs in the country so I think they'll improve again next season. I think this season is such a huge chance to get European football that not to would be so disappointing.
  • Why give up with three to play? Some had us relegated after the first game of the season and even more after the second game. Now some are talking about eighth when it's all in our hands.
    It may not happen but lets be disappointed if it happens and not before.
  • Just to back up OCS point above & I know it's from the Daily Mail but they are reporting Tuchel will have £150 million to spend in the summer after Roman funded a £253 million spend last summer. The greedy six will spend again & this is what I referred to earlier in the week about us saying we haven't got any money to make the improvements needed in the key areas. They will and that is why this is a golden opportunity to get a place in a European competition which may not happen again for many years.
  • IronHerb said:

Why give up with three to play? Some had us relegated after the first game of the season and even more after the second game. Now some are talking about eighth when it's all in our hands.
    It may not happen but lets be disappointed if it happens and not before.

No-one's giving up; just saying that if we don't qualify it'll be disappointing. Hopefully we will and this will all be moot.
  • To be honest I trust this group of players to get the results needed to qualify. We were unlucky at Newcastle & could have easily drawn with Chelsea & Everton. That would have given us an extra 3 points. Those games could have gone either way & now we have 3 bottom half sides with nothing but pride to play for.
  • None of our three opponents are going to just sit back and play with nine men behind the ball.They probably think they can get at us which is what we want as an open game suits us.
  • Moyes will be well aware of what's required. We have to be confident in our approach and play positively. There's still a great chance we can finish top 6. I fear this is unlikely to happen again next season unless we strengthen
  • Leicester are one of the best run clubs in the country so I think they'll improve again next season.

I am interested in this opinion.

I wonder what you base it on or how you judge if they are well-run? And is their record 'on the field' what you get for being a well run club?

Leicester since they got the new owners in 2010.

- Took 4 years to get promoted to PL.

- Once in PL:

Season 1, flirted with relegation for a chunk of it, finished 14th (their own 'great escape')
    Season 2 Champions
    Season 3, Flirted with relegation, finished 13th
    Season 4, finished 9th
    Season 5, finished 9th
    Season 6, finished 5th
    This season, currently 3rd

- Other honours:

Champions League, knocked out at the quarter final stage
    Europa League, knocked out in R32

Managerial appointments: 7 managers in 10 years since the takeover.

---

As a slightly separate question, is this a satisfactory record of steady progress?

Who would be happy if WHU finished 9th this season, 9th next season, 5th season after ...
  • edited May 2021
    CFC who LCFC play tomorrow in the FA Cup
    Final have had 10 managers since 2011, are they a well run club? A lot may say not, are they a successful one many will say yes. Anything lower than 6th this season will be a major disappointment. 7th would be a very small consolation. IMHO success on the pitch is the biggest benchmark I use as a judge.
  • edited May 2021
    Does it correlate?

So for example, using your benchmark, Leicester were a well-run club last season, less well run the season before, even worse 2 seasons before that, and the best run club when they won the league.

Or are you using 'success' in different way?
  • If you take season by season, then sure there are some years that disappoint but I think over time they’ve been one of the better run clubs.

They’ve more often been closer to the Champion’s League than they have to relegation. They’re generally in competition for a European place. They’ve done it without spending as much as most others in those positions. They’ve wasted money on some transfers but have brought in a lot of deals and coped with losing major players like Kante and Mahrez (and even Drinkwater, relative to his role in that team).

I’d absolutely be happy if West Ham were in Leicester’s position. It’s too tight to expect top 7 every year.
  • What Outcast said
  • Mrs G, success on the pitch is what I am hoping for and have done so for many decades. Manchester United are in a mess with the Glazers etc so off the pitch so you would say they aren’t in a good place but in the league they are near the top.
  • One thing I like about the Leicester owners is they seem to give their supporters little “Thank you” gifts at least once a season. Be it a drinks voucher at the ground or free scarf. It’s just the little things to show appreciation sometimes that counts.
  • Did someone say drink =)
  • edited May 2021
    Mrs G, now I've got a bit more time to answer:

Leicester have got a lot more right than wrong under their owners. What we've seen is steady progress from the Championship to what it is now; an established top half PL club which is beginning to regularly challenge for the top four. They have a transfer policy that has, for the most part, worked really well, they've made considerable investment in the infrastructure of the club (their training facilities looks incredible), and their owners are well-liked and respected by the fans.

As for the '9th, 9th, 5th...' finishes, yes I would be happy, if we had all of the above. With those things in place, I would have faith that there'd be year-on-year improvement and a chance of winning something. Unfortunately we don't have a transfer policy, we don't have world class facilities, we lose far more on transfers than we make and the relationship between owners and fans is non-existent. This season for us feels like a one-off, which is why I'm desperate for us to get into Europe. I honestly don't think we'll be in this position again for a long time.
  • Fair enough :+1:
  • At the risk of sounding like a caricature of myself, this season is a statistical outlier for us. I can’t remember the exact numbers because my laptop is across the room, but this is season is more than one standard deviation above an average season for us based into the last 30 years. If that’s not something to celebrate then idk what is.
  • I don't think Alderz needs a laptop...the stats are all hardwired into his brain! =)
  • alderz said:

At the risk of sounding like a caricature of myself, this season is a statistical outlier for us. I can’t remember the exact numbers because my laptop is across the room, but this is season is more than one standard deviation above an average season for us based into the last 30 years. If that’s not something to celebrate then idk what is.

I just looked this up. Anything above 8th is a statistical anomaly based on the last 30 seasons. Something we’ve only done three times since 1990-91.

(And just scrolling back, I think we’ve only done it 8 times in our history)
  • What really excites me is the fact that with two games to go we could actually even still go 4th. Yes, the chances are slim but they are there. With 7 games or so we we're still not mathematically out of the title race. That just shows what kind of a season we are having.