West Ham v Man U (A) - Sunday 14 March

Comments

• Man U have a few injury problems

At yesterday's presser OGS confirmed that Pogba, Mata and Van De Beek won't be available which leaves Fred, McTominay, Matic and Fernandes to fill three central midfield places. Fred replaced Fernandes in the 74th minute on Thursday while Matic and McTominay played the full 90 minutes.

Up front Cavani is definitely out, Rashford and Martial are both doubtful. That leaves 18yo Amad Diallo who replaced Martial at half time on Thursday and scored or 17yo Shola Shoretire as striker options

De Gea is back from Spain where he became a dad for the first time but OGS isn't sure if he will be out of quarantine.
  • edited March 2021
    I think if we had Lingard, a back five may work. But without his running & outlet, a back five I think will see us not take this potential opportunity to pick up a positive result.

He may go back five & play Benrahma off of Antonio, which may work, but that back five made it impossible for us to cause any issues in the FA Cup game & I think that was one of our poorest performances since the Brighton home game.

I think Moyes will go (if all fit):

Fabianski
    Diop - Dawson - Cresswell
    Coufal - Souček - Rice - Fornals - Johnson
    Benrahma
    Antonio
  • Moyes didn't give much information away about our injuries apart from Oggy and Arthur,

We’ve got a couple of slight doubts behind the scenes on a couple of players, who have just picked up slight injuries which I’m hoping will be okay. I won’t know until tomorrow to see how a couple of them are going.

That’s just something I’m nursing behind the scenes a little bit. It might be that they’re all okay, it might be that they’re not okay – that’s where it is.

Fingers crossed that Antonio isn't one of those players
  • edited March 2021
    Diop, Dawson, Rice, Souček, Antonio, Benrahma were all in training pictures yesterday. Possibly Fabianski & Cresswell; the later pulled up briefly against Leeds. Coufal & Fornals would be the only other players who weren’t in training pictures who started against Leeds.
  • Coufal was in the pictures with Cresswell
  • Coufal doesn’t get injuries, injuries get Coufaled
  • I hope Moyes goes for the three points as if ever we could get a result its tomorrow. They have a few significant injuries and a very hard match with AC Milan on Thursday to keep an eye on. I think we should take it to them and if we come unstuck so be it. I would hate to paly it too cautious looking for a point and get caught late and come away with nothing.
  • The expected United team tomorrow:

Henderson
    Wan-Bissaka - Lindelöf - Maguire - Shaw
    McTominay - Fred
    James - Fernandes - Diallo
    Greenwood
  • It's always tough playing against 14, but, as long as we don't get any more injuries, we have a chance of a point or 3. Worth noting that our only penalties this season have been won by a Man Utd player, so I'm expecting nothing at all from tomorrow's officials as usual.
  • We just need to smash them
  • I didn't realise they had so many injury problems. Now I almost expect us to get something.

I know how this ends.
  • I’m trying to work out how I can discreetly watch the game when I said I’d do whatever my wife wants to do for Mother’s Day 😕
  • I’m trying to work out how I can discreetly watch the game when I said I’d do whatever my wife wants to do for Mother’s Day 😕

Surely the easiest thing to do is convince her she wants to watch the match?
  • Run her a nice relaxing bath ready just before kick off , everyone is a winner
  • Free hit tomorrow.
    Let's go for it.
  • Mike Dean for ref, he gives us penalties! There's a catch to this, but I can't work out what....
  • Mike Dean for ref, he gives us penalties! There's a catch to this, but I can't work out what....

No, he gave a penalty to a Man Utd player (he probably got confused as the strips we play in change all the time these days), a Man Utd player who won't be playing for us. This is the same Mike Dean that sends our players off when he shouldn't (not just this season, but previously, and against these exact opponents), there's your catch.
  • United injury misses will be a big bonus, but Bruno is their game changer and he's available so still would love a point here

In the cup game we went:
    Fab
    Coufal Dawson Oggy Cresswell
    Noble Rice Soucek
    Bowen Yarmo Fornals

Antonio back is a massive bonus, and I'd be surprised (although not shocked) if Noble played....it just didn't work last time

Personally I hope we go
    Fab
    Coufal Dawson Diop Cressy
    Rice Soucek
    Bowen Benrahma Fornals
    Antonio

Think Bowen will be important to track Luke Shaw, he's arguably been their 2nd best player this season behind Bruno

• Forgot we played Yarmo up top. Dark times.
  • I think Moyes will go back five. We switched to it in the Cup game & were better for it, albeit only slightly.

Fabianski
    Diop - Dawson - Cresswell
    Coufal - Souček - Rice - Johnson
    Benrahma - Antonio - Fornals

He may even bring in Bowen for Benrahma but hope he doesn’t.
  • We played five at the back in the league game and four in the cup. I thought we played better in the league game.
  • We've played 19 times since Masuaku got injured, his last game being our 1-3 loss to Man U. We've played a back 4 for 16 and a back 3 against Brighton (2-2), City (1-2) and, Sheff U (3-0).

With the state of Man U's injury list I wouldn't be surprised if Moyes plays an attacking line up with a back 4 and gives Rice the job of man-marking Fernandes out of the game.
  • This is a real opportunity. We can scare their defence if we are positive, especially if it leads to set pieces.
  • edited March 2021
    3-3. Goals From Fornals, Antonio and either Cresswell or Coufal. And I have put my money (not much) where my mouth is. Come On You Hammers.
  • 3-3. Goals From Fornals, Antonio and either Cresswell or Coufal. And I have put my money (not much) where my mouth is. Come On You Hammers.

How odd, I have gone for Fornals and Cresswell as anytime scorers too B)
  • Anytime? Today would be nice. :)
  • Noble starts apparently
  • Oh, it looks like a really negative side. Why.
  • That is such a very negative team selection. I’m really disappointed
  • edited March 2021
    Noble, Johnson and Bowen in for Lingard, Benrahma and Fornals. Rashford starts for them.