Couldn't think....part 4

Comments

• She is not allowed to compete in events between 400m and one mile without taking testosterone-reducing drugs following a rule introduced by World Athletics in 2019.
    Semenya refuses to take testosterone-reducing drugs, arguing that it could endanger her health and that the ruling denies her and other athletes with differences of sexual development (DSD) the right to rely on their natural abilities.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/57545624

She failed to qualify for the SA Olympic team for the women's 5000m.
  • It gets really complicated when you start see more about women in Caster Semenya’s position but who didn’t have as much attention because they weren’t as dominant as her. The process for choosing who to test is strange (a person “randomly” picking) and very little regulation it seems of the procedures. Some women athletes have had their lives ruined by surgical procedures.
  • Also trans women take estrogen which I think helps develop breasts, I think but it can or does help with bone density.
  • edited June 2021

Also trans women take estrogen which I think helps develop breasts, I think but it can or does help with bone density.

But presumably non trans women can take it too if they want to... And of course it's in the pill as well which many women athletes will be taking. I'm not sure it is particularly performance enhancing?
  • The Testosterone Olympics looms...every competitor put into groups according to their Testosterone levels rather than sex/gender/hairdo/whatever.... ;)
  • It's not just the testosterone, trans women still have the body of a man. In some sports it might not matter but in like MMA or boxing, it does.
  • edited June 2021
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57326790

There are a couple of links to other reports which I hope will be of interest to some.

• Just voted for my Hammer of the Year
  • edited June 2021
    James Rebanks, fell farmer and author of "The Shepherd's Life":
    You just have to look at our leading politicians. Boris Johnson would be stacking shelves in Aldi or working down the chippie if he’d been born in Hartlepool. =)

• Undoubtedly but does the fact he has become Prime Minister say more about him or us.
  • That quote just disses all those from Hartlepool, not Boris.
  • It says an awful lot about this country that people from Hartlepool and similar towns are happy to elect ultra privileged people to high office.
    As a lifelong Labour man I despair of how we got here and what the future holds.

• Just think. If Howard Webb was in charge Jesus wouldn't have got the red card. 😂
  • edited July 2021
    Just seen West Ham are rebranding their badge to remove the gold hammers to be replaced with a white/grey pair of hammers, however this seasons home kit will still have the ‘old’ badge. It says the club is already taking down the old crest at the stadium & replacing it with the new crest.

• Who knows. I do think it looks better without the yellow.
  • I think it would look a whole lot better without the "London". It's almost like an admission that we're a little club and have to point out that we're in the capital.
    I can only think that it's there for foreigners.
  • We are a London club, but it is a global brand, or trying to be. London is generally seen as a "good" city. So I think it fits well.
  • We are a London club, but it is a global brand, or trying to be. London is generally seen as a "good" city. So I think it fits well.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, Palace, Spuds, (and a few more in the lower leagues) all manage to get by without stating the city they're in.
  • R.I.P Paul Mariner. 35 Caps, 13 goals
  • edited July 2021
    I mentioned this back when this first came up (2016?)

Putting London on the crest/badge was the idea of Angus Kinnear who was our marketing executive at the time. We got him from Arsenal where he'd proposed the exact same addition to the crest/badge but had been rejected

He's since moved onto Leeds Utd as managing director where another of his ideas to change the badge was rubbished by just about everybody

Seems only our board were the only ones who were mugs enough to go for his ideas and it was a recycled idea

At the time I think the board said that adding "London" would attract overseas investment. How's that plan working?
  • At the time I think the board said that adding "London" would attract overseas investment. How's that plan working?

We'll know when the penalty clause on selling the club expires I guess; as usual, it had nothing to do with the club itself, just making it more valuable for them when they come to sell up.
  • Government have said anyone guilty of online racist abuse is going to be banned from games. I think that’s not going to help, as the vast majority of people won’t be at the games anyway.

I feel like maybe a better punishment would be an internet banning order. If you cause trouble at a game you get a stadium banning order. If you cause trouble in a pub you’ll be barred. Why not put an internet ban in place for these people? There are ways of monitoring people’s internet usage, so I’m sure it could be worked out.
  • Interesting idea. I was also wondering if some kind of register could be established, like a sex offender's register but for racial abuse.

If you are found guilty of racially abusing you spend 5 years on the register, which can be accessed by employers.

I'd really want to know if somebody I was considering hiring had once gone on Twitter and sent vile racist abuse to somebody.
  • Banning someone from football for racism is fine but assumes all racists are football fans, which obviously isn't so.

There was tweet after the final by someone using their own twitter feed. Someone else identified him and forwarded the tweet to his employer Savilles, the big London estate agency, asking them if they knew about this guy. He has now said he was hacked. I don't know how this is proved or disproved but it's not always straightforward.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/savills-suspends-employee-racist-tweets-england-loss-rashford-saka-sancho-b945454.html
  • Hacking is a very common excuse for these toads.

Because that's just what hackers like do when they break into people's accounts - abuse footballers who miss penalties.

Surely hacking can be proven or disproven based on IP address.
  • Apparently both his Twitter accounts (he has two) have been hacked for a few weeks as there's loads of nasty stuff before this weekend

Whoops...
  • Hacking is a very common excuse for these toads.

Because that's just what hackers like do when they break into people's accounts - abuse footballers who miss penalties.

Surely hacking can be proven or disproven based on IP address.

It is all down to IP addresses.

I don't really know how the whole thing could work, but I just think that banning people from football matches makes a difference. If someone had posted something racist and got a ban from football matches, it would just mean they could spend more time online while watching football at home anyway, and that doesn't change anything!
  • On a lighter note: -

Billy Horschel is a hammer.
This discussion has been closed.