Couldn't think....part 4

Comments

• foote frenzie Copa America on BBC online after 3 euro games
  • from the amount of rolling about going on the pitches must be like bowling greens
  • Argentina are a shadow of the great sides of the past
  • Nothing to do with football , I don't really know why I'm posting. But if there's to be movement of people ( pethaps through sport) then there are still disgusting things happening in the so called " civilised world. " The number of deaths related to Covid-19 has passed 500,000 in Brazil, the second-highest in the world, as experts say the outbreak could worsen amid slow vaccination and the start of winter.
    The virus continues to spread as President Jair Bolsonaro refuses to back measures like social distancing. 70,000 a week and no measures.
    The health institute Fiocruz says the situation is "critical". Only 15% of adults are fully vaccinated. He's basically killiing the poor and uneducated in the Favelas , to ease the country's burden. It's basically genocide. Sorry about this but I'm disgusted this isn't mentioned in the mainstream. How can it go un noticed?

• And outrageous that the Copa America was moved there to add to the burden.

A lot of countries are having waves as bad/worse than ever before with very vaccinations. System is broken.
  • edited June 2021
    Bolsonaoro has been a leading Covid-denier and Brazil only began negotiations to buy vaccines in April when deaths had already reached 250k

He probably asked for the Copa because he thought it might boost his popularity, there's an election next year and he's trailing a long way behind former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva (aka Lula) in the polls.
    yoyo said:

How can it go un noticed?

Because our news media is too busy telling us about students voting to take down a picture of the Queen, baby names, an interview with a dead woman that happened 26 years ago and a serial adulterer getting married for the 3rd time

Squirrel!!!
  • Also he's allowed vast swathes of the Amazon rainforest to be ripped out for use as farmland, which is not good for climate change.
  • edited June 2021
    vaccine offered at White Hart Lane...
    Tottenham Hotspur's stadium has become a walk-in vaccination centre for the second time.
    Anyone over the age of 18 can turn up for a jab . Turnout has been lower than expected after rumours were abound that attendees would be given free season tickets

• The Torquay goalkeeper has just equalised with ninety seconds to go in the National League Play Off Final with a header. 😄
  • One of my Father's Day gifts:

Lots of detail on our history. Also, Russell Brand.
  • A very difficult topic as someone will always feel hard done by

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57549653

I'd be interested in what others think; personally I don't think it's fair for genetically born women to have to compete with someone that is genetically (on a DNA level) a man, even if they are suppressing their testosterone. I genuinely have no issues with anyone's life choices, and I regularly used a trans-gender plumber in our properties until she moved abroad, but, despite seeing the desire for inclusion of all in sport, I don't feel it's fair on the majority of the participants to allow trans-women to compete in women's events.
  • I'll give you an example, it might be a bit extreme but you'll get my point.
    Let's say there is a man, who regularly runs sub 10 second for the 100 metres. He's always felt like a woman, so decides he's going to go through th process of being a woman. 3 years later he's now entering the Olympics as a woman, wins the 100 metres in a sub 10 second time. Is it fair, that bearing in mind, no women has ever got near sub 10 seconds for 100 metres, that now would be the world record?
  • edited June 2021
    It's a complicated issue and feelings can run high (and not just in relation to sport). But sticking to sport, I think the problem is being caused by trying to retrofit a system to be something it wasn't designed for.
    By which I mean the competition rules were formed at a time when the common assumption was that people's biological sex matched their gender. Now that is is widely accepted that this isn't the case, the 'authorities' are trying to work out how the rules can be amended to allow someone to compete according to their gender.

It would be better to have a rethink of the whole system, imo.

We have many categories in para athletics. Why not many categories in non-para athletics (and other sports).
  • There are many who think there is absolutely no difference between a woman and a trans woman, therefore they should be able to compete as equals. There is trans woman in Australia who is breaking all the weight lifting records, that were set by women. I don't think that is fair.
  • Sorry she's from New Zealand, Lauren Hubbard and she will be competing at Tokyo Olympics.
  • edited June 2021
    MrsGrey said:

We have many categories in para athletics. Why not many categories in non-para athletics (and other sports).

I suppose the limiting factor in this particular instance is what category would Lauren Hubbard fit into? It does seem that she has a biological advantage over her peers in the current set-up, but if the IOC introduce, for example, a trans-gender division for weightlifting, now much competition would there be?

All rhetorical questions, by the way, but it does make for an interesting debate.
  • It doesn't help when Joe Biden says and I quote "There isn't anything a man can do that a woman can't do better."
    Before anyone says anything, there are loads of things that women do much better than men. Unfortunately sports isn't one of them.
  • Sorry she's from New Zealand, Lauren Hubbard and she will be competing at Tokyo Olympics.

It was the BBC article about her selection that prompted me to comment.
  • edited June 2021

It doesn't help when Joe Biden says and I quote ...

You don't quote accurately though.

He actually said 'There’s not a single thing a man can do that a woman can’t do as well or better. (I checked the full text of his speech.)

Interesting that it's that single line - which is a bit silly really, an over-generalisation not worth getting too hung up on, since he didn't use words like 'any' and 'every' - that gets the attention by the headline writers, when his speech (about women's pay) made many more significant points about persistent inequality.
  • It will clearly get tested in practice as it's pretty much only theory at present regard any advantage or not, yet should biological male competitors begin mopping up in women's sport it will have to result in a ban on entry for such competitors. Although not wanting to offend anyone pragmatism will have to rise to the fore as otherwise genetically female competitors will just end up saying whats the point. On the other side should it result in a level playing field then the doors can open and rightly so. It needs testing in competition.
  • Sorry I should have said I paraphrase instead of quote.
  • edited June 2021
    But Caster Semenya is a genetic female who is being stopped from competing because she produces too much testosterone.
  • I thought she was intersex? But I'll go check.
  • You're right MrsG. She's an intersex woman. This is so confusing.
  • She had to reduce her testosterone to ' normal female levels' in order to be allowed to compete, is my understanding. That's the same ( I think) as the transgender weightlifter is bring asked to do.. or is doing anyway because of her transitioning? Is that the case?
  • MrsGrey said:

She had to reduce her testosterone to ' normal female levels' in order to be allowed to compete, is my understanding. That's the same ( I think) as the transgender weightlifter is bring asked to do.. or is doing anyway because of her transitioning? Is that the case?

The issue in particular with the transgender weightlifter (and other trans-women imo) is that all their development into adulthood was as a man; that development doesn't disappear simply by reducing the current level of her testosterone, and that's the issue that many female athletes have with trans-women being allowed to compete against them.
  • edited June 2021
    Yes, that's what I read :+1:

I don't know to what extent the medical evidence supports case that the benefits persist even after testosterone is lowered.
    But, since using testosterone boosters out of competition is forbidden.....
  • Hence my earlier comment that the whole classification system needs rethinking.
This discussion has been closed.