Transfer Speculation

Comments

• On his latest podcast Ex said Moyes wants a striker in early, and will then go after a left back, a midfielder and a centre back.

If Lingard is still on (Ex says he wants to stay despite yesterdays rumours), so it may be that we're looking at bringing in five players.
  • WHU @ 9.25 you said you were happy with the squad as it is?

Yes I did

"Happy with squad" does not mean that we can't improve

I'm sure Man City are happy with their squad but if they can buy Messi/Mbappe etc. I'm sure they will be all over it
  • I saw in Ex's update Declan may want to leave, I hope not , I blame England for getting him crocked which really hurt us. Still bitter about Ashton BTW
  • I cant see the money coming in for Declan, Lampard got dumped for trying to get Chelsea to get him. Man United are about to drop bags on Sancho etc. City possibly dropping bags on Haaland or Kane. I dont see it.
  • On his latest podcast Ex said Moyes wants a striker in early, and will then go after a left back, a midfielder and a centre back.

If Lingard is still on (Ex says he wants to stay despite yesterdays rumours), so it may be that we're looking at bringing in five players.

So buy/loan Armstrong for Blackburn, Rico from Brentford, Gallagher from Chelsea, not sure on CB and Johnson from West Brom and conplete Lingard.

Sell Yarmolenko, Anderson, Lanzini, Fabianski or Randolph

Release Balbuena, Reid and Martin.

What's that, £60m net spend?

That would be a squad of 23 usable players plus any freebies floating around.

Simple this getting players lark.

• I cant see the money coming in for Declan, Lampard got dumped for trying to get Chelsea to get him. Man United are about to drop bags on Sancho etc. City possibly dropping bags on Haaland or Kane. I dont see it.

Lampard got dumped because they thought Touchel was a safer pair of hands, nothing to do with Rice.
  • Multiple sources have said the Chelsea board didn't like the fact that Lampard was pushing to resign an ex-player.
  • They may not have liked it and only had today no, not sack him.
  • The Athletic did a good article on it, as they’d been gathering information on the breakdown to report only at the end - as they did with Pellegrini and Mourinho. Rice wasn’t the only reason Lampard was sacked but he was one of the issues they argued over. The club management didn’t want Rice, so I don’t think Chelsea’s a massive risk. Kante is also back to his best. Tuchel might decide he wants Rice but I don’t think it’s that romantic situation people presented as inevitable when Lampard was there.
  • But that's just someone saying we could go after these players. No different to mine or your choices.
  • edited May 2021
    None of those transfers break the bank individually, but they definitely add up.

Also worth noting that this is the first summer window since the new work permit laws have come in. Nobody really knows how its going to work in practice, but that will factor into to signing foreign players
  • I didn't know who Coufal or Soucek were before we signed them and Dawson I thought would be a complete waste

There is value in the market, hard to find but there is value
  • There must be some gems in the lower divisions. Peterborough forward Jonson Clarke-harris. Started with Coventry aged 16. In and out of a couple of sides but still a kid and finding his feet, didn't set the world alight at first. Now 26 years old. Last 3 seasons played 98 games and scored 60 goals. He must be on some clubs radar
  • Kane really needs go to City if they are willing to pay for him as I wouldn't consider anyone but City a guarantee of a trophy.

Man Utd certainly are not.
  • IronHerb, I would like one of Daka, Sima or Hlozek as a CF. Nandez or Kral as a CDM & a couple of gems from Europe in the mode of our Czech signings to come in @ LB and CH.

Over to you now who do you think we should sign?
  • Ravel back on a free as the false 9

All. Day. Long
  • Haller =)
  • IronHerb, I would like one of Daka, Sima or Hlozek as a CF. Nandez or Kral as a CDM & a couple of gems from Europe in the mode of our Czech signings to come in @ LB and CH.

Over to you now who do you think we should sign?

As per my 12.10.
  • If we need a left back, Mark Wright’s just been released by Crawley. He was on the winning side against Leeds in January, so someone on here might take him...
  • This is what Moyes said about new signings at today's pre-match conference:
    https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2021/may/18-may/david-moyes-targeting-europe-facing-west-bromwich-albion-paying
    "I don’t think we’re going to have lots of money, but I think that’s going to be the same in most clubs so we’re preparing for that.

Things will change and if we’re good enough for European football then we might decide we need extra players, but we might decide not.

We went into this season with a pretty small squad, but we have only really picked up serious injuries since the last international break.

I hope that continues, but we’ll look at it. We’d obviously like to make some new signings if we can".

• edited May 2021
    Ironherb, Good list but expensive as they are from the home market. I suppose it depends on how much we could raise from the players you think we should sell. 👍
  • Just seen an utterly pointless article on the BBC with Micah Richards listing three players he would like Man City to go after to make them even better

I’d be willing to wager that there won’t be a similar article with, say, Matt Le Tissier listing three players to make Southampton even better. Etc

And then the 3 players he listed - Mbappe, Haaland and Grealish - I bet that took a lot of in depth research and thinking. Which side in the world would those three not make better? ..

• The idiot got paid for that insightful opinion no doubt.
  • I saw in Ex's update Declan may want to leave, I hope not , I blame England for getting him crocked which really hurt us. Still bitter about Ashton BTW

Me too, he was terrible in 'Two and a half men'
  • He may want to leave but he has three years left to go, so unless it was an eye watering amount I think we have to say you are staying next season. Were we to sell him we could forget about pushing in or even attracting players such as Lingard.
  • I wonder if Oxlade-Chamberlain might be available in the summer. Could be an alternative to Lingard.
  • I wonder if Oxlade-Chamberlain might be available in the summer. Could be an alternative to Lingard.

Hmmm, I get it on paper but his injuries concern me

Plus Liverpool are notoriously inflexible selling palyers and often charge a premium

But Lingard is definitely no longer the be all and end all

Still think he should be a priority, but if United want too much there are other options
  • Yes, injuries concern me. Twice bitten thrice shy.
This discussion has been closed.