Transfer Speculation

Comments

• We have been linked to the Ox but hasn’t David Moyes recently said he wants his new players to be more resilient when asked about Manu’s injuries?
  • edited May 2021
    It feels mad to say this but I don’t know if I want Lingard. I’m sure he’ll have good form again at some point, even if not as good as before, but I wonder i think Benrahma might have a higher ceiling and do more for overall team play. He was settling in well before Lingard came in and we were solid, finding ways to break down defences. We were 5th, which other fans seem to ignore when claiming we only challenged for top 4 because of Lingard.

He’s been great and was just what we needed when we were getting injuries and fatiguing but I think we’re short of depth in a few positions and his isn’t one of them. I wouldn’t want to sign him and then have budget leaving us short elsewhere.
  • Lingard has been lethargic for the last few games. May be he thinks he is in for the Euros and that has reduced his motivation. I wonder if that is what Solskjaer saw and why he hasn't been able to get into the MANU team.
  • I’d rather Benrahma is given more minutes than signing Lingard, honestly.

His form earlier in the year was phenomenal but it was the form of his life, and we’ll probably never see it again.
  • Thing is Benrahma has not dominated a game yet. He will do but as far as the Prem he still has some work to do. Lingard is the finished article and his form has dipped but if we can get a half decent striker I think we will see a better Lingard.
  • Cant I just be greedy and have Lingard and Benrahma both dominating games?
  • I don’t think Benrahma needs to dominate games. I think when he was having a run of games in January he was constantly showing for the ball, popping up in pockets all over the pitch and assisting or making dangerous passes that creating the assist for others. It’s not appreciated because he didn’t score himself, whereas Lingard has always gone for the shot. We have set up for Lingard to dominate, while Benrahma has just plugged away. I think he’s really under appreciated and if given the chance to play more will really develop. The contrast between Lingard’s runs of form is a concern, especially if we end up playing him constantly instead of giving Benrahma chances.
  • On the positive side I would say we would be very unlikely to get anyone near Lingard's standard this season for the estimated 20m he is thought to be available for.

On the negative side I think his motivation and enthusiasm may wane a little if we were to end up in the bottom half of the table and be struggling and he may end up a hinderance.

I think for 20m I would take a chance. I think he would only sign if Rice stays anyhow, if not I think he will end up at Leicester or most likely Everton.
  • However, Manchester United are willing to offer France forward Anthony Martial, 25, plus 28-year-old England striker Jesse Lingard - who is on loan at West Ham - in part-exchange to bring Kane to Old Trafford. (Football Insider)
  • Leeds United and West Ham will reportedly come up against Inter Milan, Roma and Napoli in the hunt for £30m-rated Cagliari midfielder Nahitan Nandez's signature this summer. The 25-year-old from Uruguay has a contract with the Serie A side until 2024. (Corriere dello Sport - in Italian)
  • Would surprise me if we spent a large part of our budget on a new CM (which £30mil would be), we do need cover but that 3rd CM is likely going to have to be used as rotation

Think if we can get a player in the £15mil range would be a lot more likely
  • Torino looking to sell Belotti would be a fantastic striker if we could get him here.
  • Runs a match over stubble, casually lights up a cigarette and takes a long draw... Whispers Joe Allen and Jonjo Shelvey, pauses for effect, then scarpers!! ;)
  • Would surprise me if we spent a large part of our budget on a new CM (which £30mil would be), we do need cover but that 3rd CM is likely going to have to be used as rotation

Connor Gallagher is your man. Played well last night.
  • IronHerb said:

Would surprise me if we spent a large part of our budget on a new CM (which £30mil would be), we do need cover but that 3rd CM is likely going to have to be used as rotation

Connor Gallagher is your man. Played well last night.
    Good player, but I wonder if he's a bit lightweight. Even Fornals ran through him a couple of times last night.
  • On the Benrahmi & Lingard discussion, I think the difference is that with Lingard playing Benrahma's role is much stricter, he has more defensive responsibility which reduces his effectiveness further up the field. If Lingard was not there, I think we would see a more creative Benrahma in a more advanced role.

I like Lingard, but do think his impact has been overstated (part of the Press Man U Love). Sure he helped reenergise us in his first few games, but more recently too much has been channelled through him, which has reduced his effectiveness over the last few matches - we are not a one man team.

I agree on Connor Gallagher being a viable option, but would be surprised if Chelsea allowed him to come to us. I'd also be interested in Pereira if Lingard does not come to us and for me Sam Johnstone is a priority.
  • Fornals is quite a strong runner. By the way Pablo got two 'second' assists last night.

#justsaying
  • I don’t think Sam Johnstone gave his best audition yesterday (thankfully for us)

I would go as far as to say a new number 1 keeper is one of our top 2/3 positional requirements
  • Dodger58 said:

I agree on Connor Gallagher being a viable option, but would be surprised if Chelsea allowed him to come to us. I'd also be interested in Pereira if Lingard does not come to us and for me Sam Johnstone is a priority.

I've not watched much of West Brom this season, so not sure whether last night's very good performance from Gallagher was a one off or if he's been playing that well all season. Something tells me Chelsea are going to keep him, possibly loan him out for one more season, and, as long as we keep Rice and Soucek, then I don't think we'd be top of the list of clubs to loan him to as he wouldn't be starting many games which is what Chelsea would want for him.

Pereira also had a good game last night, and, as he's their leading scorer by quite a margin, I suspect he's been fairly consistent all season in a struggling team, so definitely one to consider imo.
  • I’m not convinced by Johnstone. He’s a decent shot stopper, but nearly every keeper is at this level. I’m wary of keepers that shine in bad teams, because you don’t learn anything about their composure or concentration when they’re just being pelted with shots constantly.
  • How is it possible for a keeper to keep getting injured? It can only happen at West Ham.
  • How is it possible for a keeper to keep getting injured? It can only happen at West Ham.

Age could be a factor with Fab, that's twice this season he's been injured in the warm up. As we get older it's easier to pick up niggles, and it takes longer to get over them.
  • He had that really bad thigh injury last year, which presumably has been hard for him to get over
  • I know some people aren't fans of players that can play in two different positions but it would educe our shopping list by one to 4 if we could sign a player who is adept at CH/CDM then all we need is a CF,LB & GK in that order.

Leicester are reported to be paying £15 million for Soumane from Lille and want Bertrand on a free from Southampton plus Edouard from Celtic. All within our budget.
  • I love it when players can play in multiple positions, but what usually happens is that someone can play their position to a high standard, and there is a big drop off in quality to their second position.

re: the Leicester targets. I would be disappointed if we went for Bertrand, tbh. I think he is nowhere near the player he was a few years ago.
  • Leeds United and West Ham will reportedly come up against Inter Milan, Roma and Napoli in the hunt for £30m-rated Cagliari midfielder Nahitan Nandez's signature this summer. The 25-year-old from Uruguay has a contract with the Serie A side until 2024. (Corriere dello Sport - in Italian)

I'd love it if we signed him, can you imagine 50,000 odd belting this out. =)

I'd love it if we signed him, can you imagine 50,000 odd belting this out. =)
    An early look for Bananarama?
  • West Ham and Fulham lead the race to sign Blackburn Rovers' 24-year-old English striker Adam Armstrong, who has been valued at £25m, but the two London clubs face competition from Brighton and Everton. (Sun)
  • Fulham, Brighton and Everton don't have the lure of European football.

We do.

Because we're massive.
  • OCS, What could £25 million buy you in the European market, possibly two players?
This discussion has been closed.