Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Mrs G, I sat next to the scout when I was on holiday whilst he watched Kante play is that enough evidence for you?

No.

Sorry.

Scouts watch all sorts. Doesn't equate to ' very interested'.
    Also the implication of your post is that we preferred Obiang to Kante... With the further implication that we were too stupid to spot the better player.

None of which, imo, is supported by ' a WH scout was watching him play'

• Mrs G, Sorry you asked a question, I answered it as best I could, I respect that it wasn't sufficient to substantiate my claim. ok.
  • edited May 2021
    No, it's an opinion thing. Some will agree with you it was enough, others won't. Not enough evidence for me. I was just putting my view :+1:
  • “Too stupid to spot the better player”

😂😂😂

I soooo want to post my thoughts on that particular point...
  • “Too stupid to spot the better player”

😂😂😂

I soooo want to post my thoughts on that particular point...

Baracks, what's stopping you?
  • They did have Kante, he joined Chelsea at the end of that season.

I was talking about Pearson's team. Kante wasn't in Pearson's team.
  • It will be an interesting transfer window in the summer. We have momentum and a squad of ability this is evident. The owners have said they want next level and we are on the edge of that, the owners do have funds. Whilst I recognise there are limits regard fair play rules etc if the owners are ever going to attempt deliver on their promises then this is the moment. They need invest into the club without charging large amounts of interest and allow Moyes to have a proper go. It would be highly likely they would get their money back when selling eventually anyhow.

If it worked out and we pushed on again from where we were this year then they could quite rightly say they delivered what they said when we left Upton Park, that we had a fair size blip in the road along the way but they delivered.

If they invest but it doesn't work out they can say we tried our best and put our own money in to give it a proper shot.

To not take a shot at it with this much momentum, this squad and a manager whose use of funds has so far proven to be excellent would be a crime.
  • But they did invest heavily, partly as a result of supporter pressure. They hired a Chilean bloke who'd won the EPL, and broke the club transfer record twice. I really don't want to go down that road again. I'm happy with continuing the Moyes/Red Bull path.
  • edited May 2021

But they did invest heavily, partly as a result of supporter pressure. They hired a Chilean bloke who'd won the EPL, and broke the club transfer record twice. I really don't want to go down that road again. I'm happy with continuing the Moyes/Red Bull path.

Will not work long term in the PL. Clubs who work on shoe strings eventually get dragged to the bottom and eventually get relegated. The Red Bull path works in most other leagues because the income of those clubs is Championship standard bar 3 or 4 teams, so the risk of going from Bundesliga or La Liga or Serie A down one step isn't as catastrophic money wise as getting relegated from the PL. Most of those clubs survive by passing off players to the PL for example for huge transfer sums to stay afloat because the TV deal percentages those clubs get pales in comparison to the money they make on transfers. Also being in those less competitive leagues mean they can afford to take those risks not only because they have to in order to eventually sell them to keep the club going but because a European spot in France / Germany / Italy for example is way more heavily contested than the usual suspects in the PL.
  • Think we've been pretty smart with our recent purchases

Don't want us to do the RB model, I'll be happy if we continue like we've done over the last 18 months

There are other ways of being successful from just spending money as we have actually done a lot of that without much return
  • WHU, What is that fail to buy a new CF, CDM, LB & CH?
  • Did Moyes say he wanted a new CDM, LB & CH?
  • WHU, What is that fail to buy a new CF, CDM, LB & CH?

This isn't football manager.....

We have bought a first team RB Coufal, CM Soucek, RW Bowen, LW Benrahma, CB Dawson and CAM Lingard during the last 18 months..... all have been instrumental this year
  • Ironherb, no he hasn’t told me that but we do need a new players in those positions especially in CDM as it has cost us not having cover for SouDec at the end of this season.
    WHU, it may not be football manager but only one of the players you mentioned cover the positions I indicated and we do, as I said above, need a back up for Soucek. 👍
  • Ironherb, no he hasn’t told me that but we do need a new players in those positions especially in CDM as it has cost us not having cover for SouDec at the end of this season.
    WHU, it may not be football manager but only one of the players you mentioned cover the positions I indicated and we do, as I said above, need a back up for Soucek. 👍

We can't buy 10 players in 18 months (6 we got plus the 4 extra you want)

And you indicated the ones you wanted....moyes didn't want those
  • WHU, Are you trying to tell me you are happy with the squad as it is?
  • look on the bright side Kane wants out so that will take a big chunk of money from those who may want deccers and maybe give us another year of him
  • WHU, Are you trying to tell me you are happy with the squad as it is?

I'm saying what I said, that we've had very good recruitment in the last 18 months

And I'd rather that then have a 15/16 season whereby we bought 11 players and they were all rubbish

And yes, I'm happy with the squad as it is and that shows by the season we're having
  • We won’t progress without squad improvements that’s for sure, we may stagnate mid table but no Europe chasing without squad depth imo
  • Cuz1 said:

We won’t progress without squad improvements that’s for sure, we may stagnate mid table but no Europe chasing without squad depth imo

But why won't we improve the squad

I'd we have another window like last summer we'd have improved
  • WHU @ 9.25 you said you were happy with the squad as it is?
  • That was my reckoning too hence my post
  • Well I'm happy with the way the squad has performed. And I'd like to see the squad evolving with maybe two bigger signings, young players included and bargain (eg Coufal) players. Big stars can upset the balance, and we don't have the budget for expensive failures.
  • Being happy with the squad now does not preclude improvements in the summer. I think we have a good squad at the moment and although we need to strengthen we do need to do so wisely and not expect our owners to splash the cash to get us what amounts to almost an entirely new team behind what we have already got. That would probably just lead to unrest as we want players who are better that what we have and these players expect to play.
    We coped fairly well despite the injuries to Ant&Dec and I think the current crop of players deserve credit for that. This team got stuck in amd stuck op for each other. That kind of togetherness probably won't be there if we get 8 new players in.

I reckon that we'd be alright if we only bought a decent striker, actually. Then maybe one or two loans/backup players and we should be alright. Teams challenging for CL spots don't grow over night, they need to be nurtured. If we get the chance to get a player moyes likes in Jan, fine, if we don't then also fine.

Strengthen this summer, possibly tweak in Jan and then strengthen again next summer.
  • West Ham have held talks with Slavia Prague over a deal to sign 19-year-old Senegal forward Abdallah Sima, who is also of interest to Crystal Palace. (Mail)
  • We’ll have to set up a Czech version of the OS like we did when Hernandez signed.
  • IronHerb said:

We’ll have to set up a Czech version of the OS like we did when Hernandez signed.

I didn't realise Hernandez was a Czech as well 😁😁😁
  • Come to that neither is Abdallah Sima. 🤦‍♂️
  • 3/4 signings seems reasonable to me, to bolster positions where we’ve been short of cover this season and add competition. I don’t think it’s excessive, especially when we’ve had Haller out and I expect a few more this window. Balbuena I guess, maybe Anderson if we can shift him and I wouldn’t be that surprised if Masuaku went if we can find an upgrade.
This discussion has been closed.