The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• PLF :ok:

Yes exactly HOW do Leicester, Wolves, Liverpool sustain so few injuries. I refuse to believe it is just down to luck.
  • But since they left Birmingham the club has flourished hasn't it? :hmm:
  • Jorderz

I believe when it comes to grumbling it is often difficult to separate the manager from the owners. This will the 7th manager under our owners (twice Moyes). Pretty much things have unravelled in one way or another in each previous case. Either this can be laid at the door of the manager on each occasion or the root issues lay higher up. I know what I think, others I’m sure will have different views.

At pretty much every club, things unravel since managers are constantly being sacked for underperforming, even if they were doing well previously.

In fact, out of our last 4 managers, only twice did things unravel - under Bilic and Pellegrini (the board decided not to renew the contracts of BFS and Moyes since they wanted a different manager at the time).
  • IronHerb said:

But since they left Birmingham the club has flourished hasn't it? :hmm:

They won a trophy after they left. And where did you expect them to go if their owner was tried and convicted as a money launderer whilst owning them?
  • Our owners are trash and I hate them. But that's just my opinion.
  • Yes, Leicester have bought very well recently. Buying young players and a pacy team (although those types of signings don’t always work out). They have a good identity but that has only come with Rodgers. Under Puel (with a similar squad), they were kind of rubbish.
  • Hamstew said:

Our owners are trash and I hate them. But that's just my opinion.

Don't mince your words now Ham... ;) :lol:
  • He really is a top manager. We are lucky due to his bad luck to have him. He lives and breathes football. Exactly what was needed

I really wouldn’t go as far as to say he’s either a top manager or we were lucky to be honest but that’s only imo
  • A few reports that the players were unhappy with Pellegrini's training and discpline issues. Sounds just like the end of the Bilic era, maybe Pellegrini was too nice . I think Irvine is rated as a coach so hopefully we get back to being fitter and more discplined.
  • Hamstew said:

To be fair, I was ready to have that opinion a couple of years ago, as I didn’t think we were even trying to do anything. But the board brought in a top manager, bought some more than decent players but it obviously didn’t work out. So, for me, I don’t really see what they’ve done wrong in the past 18 months.

I’ll give them another 18 months to see how we progress. But I’m not under the illusion that we have an entitlement to be challenging for Europe. The premier league is an unforgiving place.
  • Adam

I wouldn’t go as far as to say Leicester were rubbish. By all means not at their title winning level, but at the time puel left they were 12th.
  • As regards scouting didn’t Husillos appoint his son as a scout.
  • Adam

I wouldn’t go as far as to say Leicester were rubbish. By all means not at their title winning level, but at the time puel left they were 12th.

I did say ‘kind of’! Interestingly Puel and Pellegrini had exactly the same number of points per game in the PL - 1.25
  • Hamstew said:

Utterly disagree - that's my opinion.

They've invested heavily in the current squad, and didn't baulk at paying what it took to get Pelle.
  • Hamstew said:

Utterly disagree - that's my opinion.

They've invested heavily in the current squad, and didn't baulk at paying what it took to get Pelle.
    Cool :ok:
  • We can employ as many managers as we like but until the players start performing like well paid Premier league players week in week out nothing will improve.

Not all the managers we have had since the two David’s took over are poor but one thing has been consistent the underperformance of the West Ham players on a regular basis.

I hope our new manager can lay down the law to the players or is given the money to be able to get rid of the slackers.

Happy New year everyone and let’s hope the next decade is a good one for our club.
  • I think we have a good enough, and big enough squad for players in most positions to be told they have to perform to wear/keep the shirt, and I have no doubt the Moyesiah will do just that.
  • I’m sure pelle had similar conversations with the squad but unfortunately some of those wearnt sacked too
  • It will make a change to see a manager hopefully showing a bit of passion and direction on the sideline. I know Pellegrini wasn't the vocal kind but he did look uninterested at times. Look at Pep, City could be 3 up and he's still shouting and waving from the sidelines. I know professionals should think for themselves but I want to see a manager marshalling them from time to time when it requires it, not just sitting there.
  • It will be pretty easy though to judge Moyes ability as a manager, because he will have to get dramatically more out of another managers squad than the former could, without adding any of his own players.

The critics will say ‘it would have come good anyway’, or ‘it’s not a half bad squad is it?’. Personally I would put it down to Moyes if we do see an upturn in form.

Pellegrini oversaw 2 wins & 9 defeats in the last 13 games. That is a 1/3 of the season. Not just a handful of games where we may have suffered a few injuries & some misfortune, that could turn in Moyes’ favour.

If we don’t improve, we can probably say 1) Moyes was the wrong appointment or 2) the squad isn’t that good. But the general feeling seems to be the squad is better than it is showing, so it comes down to Moyes’ ability.
  • I’d blame the players either way lukerz shouldn’t matter who manages the effort should be put in regardless of form and some players seemed to have had neither, to suddenly turn it on is a disgrace again imo
  • edited December 2019
    I’d argue that Pellegrini suffered from Fab’s injury, and Moyes will benefit from his return, but I do agree
  • edited December 2019
    I’ve read in lawro’s column (I know, I know) that Moyes will get us organised and difficult to beat. That’s not what I remember from last time round. What he did do was get us a lot fitter and also got our key forward, Arnie, into his groove. Those were his two main positives IMO.

I don’t personally think he improved us noticeably defensively that much (we still took our fair share of heavy beatings), but the other positive things he did do outweighed this and proved to be enough for us.

If he gets our better attackers playing well and working well with each other - eg Anderson, Haller it will hopefully take the pressure off our defence. And if he gets us fitter, hopefully we won’t lose so many points from winning positions.
  • PLF :ok:

Yes exactly HOW do Leicester, Wolves, Liverpool sustain so few injuries. I refuse to believe it is just down to luck.

Leicester yup, Wolves definitely! I think Doherty had a sprained finger once but since they were promoted Wolves never have anyone injured despite playing more games with the same players than anyone else!

Liverpool have had a few...

Alisson, Fabinho, OX, Lallana (when isn't he!), Keita, Shaqiri, Lovren and Matip are either out for weeks/months or have been in recent times :bowdown:
  • alderz said:

I’d argue that Pellegrini suffered from Fab’s injury, and Moyes will benefit from his return, but I do agree

Yes, but Pelle supposedly wanted Roberto as first choice at one stage if rumours are to be believed
  • I was taking a big risk there, Baz, in trying to make observations about Liverpool when you are there to scrutinise them in detail..

I guess with Liverpool, a lot of their injuries have happened to more fringe type players. Vvd, mane, Salah, Firmino, Robertson have pretty decent injury records. And Adrián obviously played out of his skin In Allisson’s absence
  • edited December 2019
    Nah, the injured names slide off the tongue easily with no scrutiny (anything that happens at Liverpool is public knowledge asap as the media love them) ;)

I agree that the real outfield heavyweights (Mane, Salah, VVD, TAA, Robertson and Firmino) have decent injury records but, to be fair, theyre superhuman giants of the game whose skills see them glide effortlessly over the pitch repelling haters challenges :tumbleweed:
  • Bazshuayi said:

Nah, the injured names slide off the tongue easily with no scrutiny (anything that happens at Liverpool is public knowledge asap as the media love them) ;)

I agree that the real outfield heavyweights (Mane, Salah, VVD, TAA, Robertson and Firmino) have decent injury records but, to be fair, theyre superhuman giants of the game whose skills see them glide effortlessly over the pitch repelling haters challenges :tumbleweed:

Have you a sick bucket :lol:
  • Cuz1 said:

Bazshuayi said:

Have you a sick bucket :lol:
    Certainly a sick mind with loving them scousers :biggrin: