The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• I honestly just took the 'next level' comment and thought...'that sounds like it should be a boy band name' and proceeded with the nonsense because it tickled me :biggrin:
  • That’s not like you Baz?

;)
  • Gonna be a tough game, looking forward to this one
  • These three pics should do for the time being...

• Very rare that we win in our managers debut game...

Managers under G&S:

Grant - Villa 3-0 West Ham
    Sam - West Han 0-1 Cardiff
    Bilic - Arsenal 0-2 West Ham
    Moyes - Watford 2-0 West Ham
    Pellegrini - Liverpool 4-0 West Ham

-8 GD, 1 win & 4 losses the previous decade in managers debut matches.

Was very nice to benefit from a new manager bounce yesterday.
  • I wouldn't really say he is a new manager though. I think we benefited from homework, high-press, formation and constant man-management.
  • In talks with Joe Cole over a possible coaching role in Moyes’ backroom team, according to Football Insider.
  • Yes please :pray:
  • edited January 2020
    And jack collison please
  • Interesting view by Rice on the OS regarding how Moyes gave him an ear bashing when he ducked against Arsenal causing a goal and again on another occasion. He also said the players really like Moyes so maybe they did have an issue with Pelle.
    According to Declan at his first team meeting he told them “you don’t run enough and you don’t work hard enough. If you don’t run you don’t play”.
  • DB8 concierge :hmm:
  • I had a royal marine colour Sargent in training that told me the same thing
  • Jack Collison quit as our U-16 manager to join Atlanta FC about 6 months ago and seems quite happy with his new life from his Twitter account.

It's hardly likely he's going to drag his family back across the pond unless its for something major although he did tweet about liking the idea of being Joe Cole's assistant manager.
  • edited January 2020
    God I love Jack Collison
  • Sounds like a good partnership a couple of years down the line. Jack to continue his apprenticeship abroad and Joe to get some experience somewhere. Too soon otherwise IMO
  • I read this morning that Stuart Pearce was on a radio show recently and said that he isn't coming back because the board have blocked it. They're not happy with previous critisism he'd levelled at them, apparently (his words, I understand)

Surely if the manager they hired wants Pearce as part of his team, then the board should be professional and back Moyes' wishes.
  • Interesting.

Hypothetically (which this is) I don't think any board has to give carte blanche to any manager to bring in whoever they like. The board is the employer, and will have certain standards about who they employ.

Hypothetically, if we reverse it, do you think a board can never sack one of the coaching team brought in by a manger (say, for gross misconduct). Is that failing to 'be professional and back the manager's wishes'?

• edited January 2020
    Whilst I agree that Moyes should be able to pick his staff, I've read comments over a number of years regarding Pearce's lack of managerial and coaching prowess and I can't say I'm unhappy hes not returning
  • MrsGrey said:

Interesting.

Hypothetically (which this is) I don't think any board has to give carte blanche to any manager to bring in whoever they like. The board is the employer, and will have certain standards about who they employ.

Hypothetically, if we reverse it, do you think a board can never sack one of the coaching team brought in by a manger (say, for gross misconduct). Is that failing to 'be professional and back the manager's wishes'?

I get that the board can emply who they like. Their club, their money.

But from what I understand, Pearce's comments were made after he'd left the club, therefore misconduct doesn't come into it. It seems that they've blocked his return simply because he doesn't hold a favourable opinion of them.

The issue for me is that if Moyes believes Pearce's involvement is beneficial to the success of the club, then the board should back his decisions. I could understand their reluctance if Pearce was a proven racist, or homophobe etc, because that affects the reputation of the club, but in this instance it seems to be personal rather than professional reasons that they don't want him back.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Whilst I agree that Moyes should be able to pick is staff, I've read comments over a number of years regarding Pearce's lack of managerial and coaching prowess and I can't say I'm unhappy hes not returning

No, I have no great desire to see Pearce come back. I've also read that he isn't the best coach, but it's more the principal :ok:
  • Understood and fair enough. That said, we've not heard any counter comments re Pearce from Sullivan or Brady who my have a different version (me keeping an open mind :hmm: )
  • Pearce is not that convincing a coach IMO. Feisty, competitive and exceptionally high quality player back in the day, but it doesn’t follow that he will be a good and effective coach IMO. Similar applies to Roy Keane.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Understood and fair enough. That said, we've not heard any counter comments re Pearce from Sullivan or Brady who my have a different version (me keeping an open mind :hmm: )

Absolutely; always two sides to every story.

I just know who I'm more inclined to believe.

• No, I have no great desire to see Pearce come back. I've also read that he isn't the best coach, but it's more the principal :ok:

Although from your earlier comment you've actually conceded the principle that there will be circs where a board doesn't have to back the manager. :hmm:

So you are more looking at where the line is drawn, ie not the principle but the specifics of a case?

In which case, it might be argued that criticising your previous employer publicly (even after you are no longer employed by them) is unprofessional... and so the employer's decision not to re-employ is not personal but professional?

Furthermore, in this example that you are outlining ...if what we have been told is a fair representation of the truth and not just one person's spin on it ... it's less the employee's opinion that's the issue (after all, how would anyone know what he thinks if he kept schtum) but his going public with it. It seem reasonable to assume that Moyes himself thinks their previous decision not to extend his contract was a wrong one, and the board thus know he has a negative opinion of what they did. But they re-employed him.
  • "I could understand their reluctance if Pearce was a proven racist"

Just this sec I remembered he was called out for racially abusing Paul Ince...

Unlike John Terry, he admitted it and apologized

(I'm not saying he was refused the return for being a racist, just that I recalled it)
  • I don't believe for one second that Sullivan has rejected Pearce because of any perceived unprofessionalism. Of course it's possible, but I don't believe that's what's happened.

I do, however, believe that that Sullivan is petty enough to block Pearce's return because he's voiced a negative opinion of him.
  • edited January 2020
    Maybe they just don't think he's very good :hmm:
  • I can see Sullivan being petty (if youre the owner I guess you can be so and plenty of other things) but I totally see Pearce as not being very good too