The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• I don't believe for one second that Sullivan has rejected Pearce because of any perceived unprofessionalism. Of course it's possible, but I don't believe that's what's happened.

I do, however, believe that that Sullivan is petty enough to block Pearce's return because he's voiced a negative opinion of him.

I think that Sullivan could very easily point to that as a lack of professionalism though? It seems pretty difficult to draw a distinction around pettiness in this instance. To me, it feels as though (assuming what Pearce has said is the case) Sullivan doesn't want to appoint someone who has badmouthed the board, because why would you want to appoint someone who has slagged you off publicly?

Different circumstances, but if someone left my team and ran their mouth saying that I was a bad boss or that the team was poor, or whatever, I might have some reluctance to work with them again.

I agree that generally the board should appoint the coaching staff that the manager wants to bring in, but I think this is probably an ok reason not to, IMO. I'd be more concerned if they were not appointing him because of a perceived lack of quality, because that would be them suggesting they don't trust the managers judgement of ability to the job.
  • edited January 2020
    I've just seen the story on the BBC, and it does include this part to the story.
    THE BBC said:

West Ham have declined to comment, although it is understood owners David Sullivan and David Gold deny blocking his return and were happy to leave the decision to Moyes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51005585
  • "He recouped around £25m in one transfer window. So it wasn't a case of going in there and having money to spend - he recouped money. So that money is somewhere around the club.”"

This probably didn't sit too well with Sullivan
  • Loved Pearce as a player, but I've never seen anything that suggests to me he is a good coach.
  • I think it is a shame that some people can't get past their dislike of the board to consider issues fairly.
  • edited January 2020
    Not really sure any of us can comment on whether an assistant coach is good or not, none of us are privy to that kind of knowledge, opinions , yeh , but not sure any of us knows what he is like as a coach, unless we know players he has coached, somewhat different to judging a manager, IMO of course.
  • edited January 2020
    I notice Pearce says 'I think the owners felt ... and put a block on it'.
    So he has no idea, he's speculating.

He could, of course , be right. But it could be that he is happy to blame someone else's (unjust) decision that he didn't get the job.

I suppose it's an alternative to thinking you aren't good enough. Or that there are better options available. Or Moyes prefers someone else.
  • edited January 2020

"He recouped around £25m in one transfer window. So it wasn't a case of going in there and having money to spend - he recouped money. So that money is somewhere around the club.”"

Why?

If under Moyes some money was put into the coffers from player sales, we can all see that in subsequent transfer windows the club bought expensive players, and broke the transfer record (?twice). Haller, Anderson, Diop ... the money's probably not 'around the club' any more.
  • jay

Well, I can comment, but it may not be well-informed...

All I can say is ,I've never seen any comments from players suggesting they think Pearce is a top coach, and his record as a manager is hardly inspiring.

I certainly don't feel we will be missing out if he doesn't rejoin.
  • Grey, you are of course right to comment & I was not directing my comment to anyone in particular as many have commented about him, just my opinion...Assistants are rarely spoke about tho as the final buck always lays with the manager/coach. :ok:
  • MrsGrey said:

"He recouped around £25m in one transfer window. So it wasn't a case of going in there and having money to spend - he recouped money. So that money is somewhere around the club.”"

Why?

If under Moyes some money was put into the coffers from player sales, we can all see that in subsequent transfer windows the club bought expensive players, and broke the transfer record (?twice). Haller, Anderson, Diop ... the money's probably not 'around the club' any more.
    Because of the insinuation. Sullivan will know a lot of fans have a particular view of him and Gold, and comments like this will fuel the fans, fairly or otherwise.
  • edited January 2020
    Get Joe Cole in the coaching team and be done with it. :wahoo:
  • Hamstew said:

Get Joe Cole in coaching team and be done with it. :wahoo:

< Googles Joe Cole's public opinions on the West Ham board >
  • I would have thought that Moyes would have taken the job on the understanding he could pick his own backroom staff...maybe not?
  • I did and found this in the article:
    "As a former prodigal youngster and academy graduate, Cole would also provide a great reference point and guide for a host of players coming through the system at West Ham."

Do we really have a host of players coming through the system at West Ham? Genuine question.
  • Well, we have a full Academy programme with all age groups. That's 'a host' I suppose.

I don't think it means 'a host' on the verge of a 1st team breakthrough.
  • For most professions the universe is pretty small and it is never considered a smart move to publically criticize a former employer, so.............
  • He's also been quoted as saying:

Not sure that anything I've read can be construed as direct criticism. Loaded statements, maybe, but not criticism.

It's his word against theirs so I guess we'll never know the truth (unless Moyes pipes up as to whether it was his decision not to bring Pearce back). I know who I'm more inclined to believe, but maybe that's just me.

As it is, I'm with Ham and would prefer Cole as a coach. More attuned with the modern game I would say and a great role model for the Academy boys on the verge of the first team.
  • Clearly one of those threads we can discuss for fun but recognise we don't have the information to know what has really taken place. It does bring two things to mind for me however.

I don't want Pearce at the club as I have never been that impressed with his management and coaching record.

Karren Brady of our board has been very unprofessional in the past concerning comments about past players and managers etc within her column in the Sun. I guess however she never anticipates any of them employing her at some point in the future.
  • Karren Brady of our board has been very unprofessional in the past concerning comments about past players and managers etc within her column in the Sun. I guess however she never anticipates any of them employing her at some point in the future.

She has, however, made comments about other clubs (Leicester being the obvious example), even though she (and her employers) should have anticipated having to deal with these clubs in the future.

Sullivan also had a very public spat with the Sporting chairman over the William Carvalho offer.

It would be very hypocritical, IMO, for our board to not hire anyone on the grounds of unprofessionalism.
  • Of course, we don't know that the reason SP 'thinks' is, in fact, the reason.
  • edited January 2020

It would be very hypocritical, IMO, for our board to not hire anyone on the grounds of unprofessionalism.

The situation isn't quite the same.

Let's look at what would make it like the (alleged) SP situation....

After the public criticism, West Ham go back to try to do some transfer business with these guys and find that the other club(s) are reluctant to engage with them. Then WH claim that 'oh they just don't want to do business with us because they think we expressed some dissatisfaction with them in the past'

THAT would be similar to the scenario we are discussing.

And presumably you'd be calling them (the other clubs) petty, because they are reacting to being criticised in public? Or calling them unprofessional because they are not backing their manager/DoF in the transfer market? Or, given that the Sporting Lisbon guy did a fair bit of bad-mouthing of his own, hypocritical?
  • Is Brady still banned from Leicester’s boardroom over the spat they had or was that resolved ?
  • I thought Moyes said when appointed he’s considering Pearce but he has other commitments which would make it difficult.
  • edited January 2020
    To me it's quite simple Mrs G. You've suggested he may not have been hired because of his perceived unprofessional public comments. That's fine, and may well be true.

But given that members of our board have made unprofessional public comments themselves, I would consider it hypocritical of them to not employ someone for that reason.

I'm not saying the situations are exactly the same, or that what I'm saying is right; just pointing out what I consider to be rank hypocrisy.
  • I'm not overly bothered about Pearce ( loved him as a player ) but I would like to see some young blood being given some coaching opportunities which may well lead to something in a few years.Too early for management but with Man Utd having Carrick on the bench , we should be looking at snapping up the likes of Cole, Rio, Collison , whether they are currently employed or not. Plan for the long term.
  • Makes me laugh how sections of the meejah pick their narratives. Arteta is hailed as a genius for getting a couple of wins, and changing things at half-time in the FA Cup, while the Moyesiah is sneered at and dismissed.
  • And that’s just by the home fans
  • Paragraph three, sub section 2a: Anyone in the Premiership associated with Pep Guardiola shall be deemed a genius. If said party is not British and in fact a Johnny Foreigner chappy, this rule shall be applied without delay