The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• edited December 2019

There’s one thing though that he said - something along the lines of “winning, it’s what I do”

'something along the lines of' baracks?

That sounds to me like you aren't really sure of what he said, but have already labelled him 'arrogant' ?

I wonder how many of those you say are currently experiencing a 'certain amount of delirium' on social media have taken the time to watch the interview, research the stats, and formulate a considered response.

Actually, I'm lying. I don't wonder.
  • Seemed like a reasonably decent press conference. Apart from when that Moose fella started talking.
  • Mrs G

But he has never won a trophy ever. And Mourinho has a better win % also (although not at 500 games yet)

But I will agree his tone did not come across as arrogant.
  • Lukerz said:

What I do like, is that he clearly 100% wants to be here & seems fully motivated.

He did seem very enthusiastic and positive about being here.
  • Mrs G

But he has never won a trophy ever. And Mourinho has a better win % also (although not at 500 games yet)

He never said he's won a trophy.

So why casigate him for not winning a trophy.

He referred specifically, in his interview, to win %.
  • If I’d have been out of a managers position for 18 months I’d have been enthusiastic and positive too
  • The positivity and enthusiasm was really good to see. As was the way he brushed off the circumstances in which he left the club last time round
  • edited December 2019
    Mrs G

The facts which many point to are his win percentages at West Ham and sunderland? How much research does one need to verify those? Precious little I would say.

By the way - you may want re-read my original post again - I never said he was arrogant - I said others deemed him to be

But it’s easier just to make things up about me to try and justify an argument right?
  • MrsGrey said:

Mrs G

I haven’t
  • MrsGrey said:

Mrs G

I haven’t
    He won the Charity Shield and League 1 trophies.
  • Going back to Antonio and his Snowman outfit, who was he in the car with? Aled Jones?
  • So many dummies being thrown out of prams for not being a top six champions league club!
  • Preston

Yes - that's why they were fyling through the air...
  • Gosh, is the internet not a wonderful thing. Not that many years ago, you found out we had a new manager on the wireless or on the back pages of a newspaper. Now, the old ones sacking is discussed, planned executed and the possible replacements analysed, rejected, laughed at, dismissed and then lauded. And no doubt without a victory on Wednesday, hung drawn and quartered and his head stuck on a pole on the corner of barking road and green street cos that’s where we should be and if it wasn’t for them pesky owners telling lies with their money we would still be there. We are where we are, and what we are.

No matter what, Westham United, I remain your loyal supporter, until the day I die.
    I love my football (not soccer) as an ex player and supporter for more years than I can remember.

Coyi

Happy new year everybody. Peace, love and respect.
  • Cuz1 said:

If I’d have been out of a managers position for 18 months I’d have been enthusiastic and positive too

Yeah because premier league football managers, much like most people in the premier league, are really hurting for cash when they finish a job.
    Why do people think that premier league managers would be bothered about rushing back in to a job.
    So long as they don't have serious drink/drug/gambling habit there isn't much chance of them being skint any time soon and can therefore wait on a job that they feel they are worth and will pay them the money they want.
    18 months putting your feet up and spending time with the family because you can sounds like a wonderful idea to me.
  • Current PL managers and their (Major) trophy haul:

Klippety - a lot

Brendan Rogers - 0 ( I refuse to count Scottish honours in this context.)

Pep - shed loads

Frank Lampard - 0

Ole Gunnar Solskjær - 0

Moaninho - a cupboard full

Nuno Espírito Santo - 0

Chris Wilder - 0

Roy Hodgson - 0

Ancelotti - - a fair few

Steve Bruce - 0

Mikel Arteta - 0

Sean Dyche - 0

Graham Potter - 0

Eddie Howe - 0

David Moyes - 0 (I said Major...)

Dean Smith - 0

Nigel Pearson - 0

Daniel Farke - 0

Ralph Hasenhüttl - 1

• or lucky to be offered it again ?
  • Grey

Your caveat re: Rodgers I should imagine would apply to hodgson too (his time at malmo)?
  • baracks - yes, for me.
  • Pretty simple with Moyes.

We win on Weds & play well, everybody will be behind him.
  • Lukerz said:

Pretty simple with Moyes.

We win on Weds & play well, everybody will be behind him.

I’m not so sure. I think what we’ll see for quite a while with Moyes is that when we win, the malcontents stop grumbling, and when we lose they’re very vocal and critical.

I think it will take a long time for him to earn the backing and patience that comes with somebody like Bilic or Pelle (at least at the starts of their reigns).
  • Of managers who have taken charge of more than 500 Premier League games, only two - Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger - have a better win record than Moyes.

But he is fifth on the list of Premier League managers who have taken charge of more than 300 games, with Jose Mourinho and Rafael Benitez also having better records

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50950041
  • He really is a top manager. We are lucky due to his bad luck to have him. He lives and breathes football. Exactly what was needed
  • I am surprised that Moyes only got an 18-month contract, I expected him to insist on a few years so that S&G couldn't get rid of him as easily as last time,

I am surprised too. 18 months is neither one thing nor the other. Either back him properly and trust in the decision or make it clear it is another interim gig

Or maybe they already have, say, Rafa lined up at the end of the season but aren’t telling anyone?

What will they do in the summer if we finish say on 43 points after a mixed bag of results and performances and he has one year left?
    Read somewhere that he admitted it has a clause to extend it, ( guessing on certain criteria being fulfilled) And that his goal is to get it extended

Good luck to him, I think this is going to be a tough job for him, one way or another it’s a pivotal moment for me, we either go down or we get a decent period of stability bit like with SA
  • Jorderz

I believe when it comes to grumbling it is often difficult to separate the manager from the owners. This will the 7th manager under our owners (twice Moyes). Pretty much things have unravelled in one way or another in each previous case. Either this can be laid at the door of the manager on each occasion or the root issues lay higher up. I know what I think, others I’m sure will have different views.
  • Mrs G

The facts which many point to are his win percentages at West Ham and sunderland? How much research does one need to verify those? Precious little I would say.

By the way - you may want re-read my original post again - I never said he was arrogant - I said others deemed him to be

You said 'Don’t get me wrong, arrogance happens elsewhere too' ... sounded to me like you were concurring in the description of him as arrogant, but if that's not what you meant, fair enough :ok:

re the win%, if people want to select only those stats that support their view, and totally ignore any others that contradict it, that's up to them. But obviously, others (eg, me) can then totally ignore them. :biggrin:
  • edited December 2019
    Like usual, the owners have to begin investing in the infrastructure of the club. Training facilities need to be updated & significantly improved, scouting needs to be enhanced & increased (I read we employ 5 scouts to operate across Europe, Southampton have over 30). The owners need to actually come out with a mission statement, long term plan & vision that they are going to implement, & every decision made needs to be in support of that vision.

I think Moyes knows this, hence his reference to football ‘models’, where he specifically mentioned the Red Bull clubs. If he is going to drive some sort of identity shift/project, then brilliant. Just a shame it has to come from him & not the top. There has not, IMO, been enough overall investment at this club over the last decade.
  • Lukerz

They didn’t do any of the above with Birmingham so I’m not holding my breath personally.
  • If we need an example of a well run club Leicester are a good example . They have a list of replacements for all positions and manager should any one leave. They got the sport science people at the local Univeristy involved and in thier title winning season managed to get remarkably few injuries. They have signed some great players and sold for whopping fees Maguire/Mahrez/Kante . They have made a few dodgy managerial appointments (who hasn't) but generally get things right most of the time. Overall they seem to have a long term plan rather than next season objective.