The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• Wish I could claim credit, but I got it off Twitter.
  • But you would have criticised him if he hadn't said it, so lose-lose.
  • With a half a season to play I reckon Moyes will pick up 6 wins 6 draws and 7 defeats will finish on 43 points and 16thish
  • With a half a season to play I reckon Moyes will pick up 6 wins 6 draws and 7 defeats will finish on 43 points and 16thish

Could you be a little more precise please.
  • Outcast :ok:

I agree re: DoF and the structure of the club. I think it's a very shortsighted appointment if your DoF is just based on the recommendation of your current manager. That role should sit between the board and the manager. I would be very pleased if they recruited a DoF and let them make all recruitment decisions, because the owners have shown a level of incompetence with recruitment and sales during their career, IMO.
  • 19 games to go. I think we will average at least 1.3 pts per game giving us another 25 pts and taking us to 44 pts.
    I would say we will actually manage between 1.5 and 2 pts per game, taking us to 47 to 57 pts

• I'll have what ever you drinking Grey ;) :ok:
  • 19 games to go. I think we will average at least 1.3 pts per game giving us another 25 pts and taking us to 44 pts.
    I would say we will actually manage between 1.5 and 2 pts per game, taking us to 47 to 57 pts

Time to get your noggin checked again :lol: :hug:
  • buffy

We'll see.

I think we're going to have a really good 2nd half of the season. With the players at his disposal, I think Moyes will get us right at it.

It might take him a couple of games, but I'm looking forward to good times and happy days.
  • I was never allowed to leave a changing room in that state (Antonio picture)
  • edited December 2019
    Per Moyes in his presser he says there is a clause in his contract to extend it.

Let’s hope that it is based on him racking up points and wins because then it’s a win-win
  • I am surprised that Moyes only got an 18-month contract, I expected him to insist on a few years so that S&G couldn't get rid of him as easily as last time,

In his interview he states that there's a clause in the contract extend. And implies that there's a trigger for an automatic extension, rather than just a 'lets talk about it' option.
  • I don’t think that is true Mrs G. He says it is up to the players to make sure of it - so to me that means it is based on some sort of targets
  • I should very much hope he has been given targets barracks.
  • I’m just hoping that the target isn’t simply keep us up and it is automatically extended. Because we could end up with 37 points and survive and to me that wouldn’t be worthy of an extension.
  • I would imagine targets would be based on next season.

My assumption would be that it's an 18 month contract. If we get relegated this year he'll probably be sacked, but if we don't he'll carry on for 2020/21.

The stated objective for this year was to push for top 8? I can't see why that wouldn't be the target for next season still.
  • edited December 2019
    alderz said:

I would imagine targets would be based on next season.

My assumption would be that it's an 18 month contract. If we get relegated this year he'll probably be sacked, but if we don't he'll carry on for 2020/21.

The stated objective for this year was to push for top 8? I can't see why that wouldn't be the target for next season still.

Perhaps then we should have just gone for Hughton who has championship experience ;)
  • edited December 2019

I don’t think that is true Mrs G. He says it is up to the players to make sure of it - so to me that means it is based on some sort of targets

Yes, sorry I wasn't very clear. That's what a meant by a 'trigger' - some kind of requirement that, if it was met, the club would have to extend. I think the 'up to the players' indicates, as has been said, that it is to do with win %, or points, or league position.
  • When I've asked about the next 8 games, the average expectation has been 12 points, which is 1.5 pts per game, so most people think that target is attainable by our current squad.
  • edited December 2019
    my brother just sent me this.....

life goes on I suppose.......

Like me, a mad Hammer fan my brother, life is too short to hold grudges, good guy, wrong fit....& BTW my brother couldn't believe seeing him...
  • I like Moyes as a person but he is not the sort of manager we were promised by the two David’s when they took over.

They have lied to us for so many years now it is pointless going on about how bad things are any more.

The two David’s are really only interested in us surviving to maintain their cash flow. That is why they have employed Moyes.

They never ever wanted us to really compete at the top level they just spout lie after lie.

One more point . Getting rid of Noble would give Declan Rice a chance to move forward and should be Moyes first job so that the team can start some sort of re building.
  • But Hutton, Pelle probably was the type of manager we were promised and that hasn't worked.

I'm not a fan of the board but on this occasion, and with Slav, they gave it a go. It hasn't worked so back to the drawing board.
  • To be fair, that was a pretty impressive press conference.

What I do like, is that he clearly 100% wants to be here & seems fully motivated. That could give us the edge for the foreseeable.
  • edited December 2019
    Luke , good on u...a £2 million bonus to keep us up talks ....
    He was never what I wanted, but I will support the team & the manager....let's hope it works out...
  • edited December 2019
    There’s one thing though that he said - something along the lines of “winning, it’s what I do”

These few words are causing a certain amount of delirium around social media with many pointing to his failure to ever win any trophies at all, and his percentages at Sunderland and West Ham and just being, well, arrogant

Don’t get me wrong, arrogance happens elsewhere too - eg Mourinho, but he can point to his medal haul

Those words of Moyes may well be quoted again by many people going forward

Starting with me, if we lose to Bournemouth in a couple of days.
  • I dont think it is fair to judge him on the Bournemouth game; he has hardly got his feet under the table.
  • If winning is what he does, you’d have thought he wouldn’t have been out of work for so long or maybe the arrogance puts some people off. He only got the manure job because of his buddy imo so that would have pushed his win ratio up
  • edited December 2019
    I agree Cuz. You’ve got to be very careful what you say. Every word is scrutinised. On this occasion he suffered a bout of lady Brady whereby it was something he really did not need to say at all. He needs to remember that many people think that he is the lucky one, not West Ham in being given another go.
  • I agree Cuz. You’ve got to be very careful what you say. Every word is scrutinised.

If only every word was scrutinised, we would have people responding to his comments in the context in which they were made.

I would argue that many words are ignored, and a few words picked out and then scrutinised in a vacuum and then people on social media putting their own spin on them.

Having watched the interview, I saw no arrogance. I saw a response to a question in which he clearly specifies 'experienced' managers (although that isn't defined).

From the BBC: Of managers who have taken charge of more than 500 Premier League games, only two - Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger - have a better win record than Moyes.

So, arrogant, or fair?
  • To be fair, he said it as a defensive response.

The question from the reporter basically cast doubt on his credentials (as in the West Ham fans were not that enthused by your appointment, what would you say to that?).

Most people with any confidence in themselves will response in a bullish & arrogant manner.