The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• I think people need to have a reality check. We are in a tight relegation battle and need someone who can get us out of it. Moyes fits the bill as he did it before.
    We are not an attractive proposition for so called top managers and Pelle was obtained while he was out to grass in China.
    I’m in my seventies and all the time I’ve been supporting them we’ve had a bigger reputation for being a soft touch than for playing attractive football. How many times do we crop up in stats for someone scoring more goals against us than any other team or losing points from winning positions.
    Even Greenwood recognised it and bought John Cushley to, as he put it, add some steel to the defence. However if you remember him he was so bow legged he could be nutmegged standing to attention.
  • I do understand the air of gloom, but before Fab got injured we took 12 points from 7 games (including our traditional tonking from Citeh. I don't think it will take the Moyesiah too long to get us back to that form.
  • edited December 2019
    Moyes can not afford many slip ups IMO. And that includes in the cup. I don’t think a cup loss v Gillingham will be in any way be acceptable. The Wigan humiliation came under his watch last time round. It’s less of an issue were we to get beaten by another PL team..
  • I think it’s a major problem that our director of football is sacked alongside the manager. I’m not saying Husillos was right but what’s the point of the position then? We’re not going to get a change of new owners but we need someone who can actually plan the future of this club and work smartly with the resources we have, so that managers and transfers work towards something. Right now it’s been so ad-hoc and has been for years. I can’t think of a better example of our terrible planning than Moyes not being deemed good enough 18 months ago and now being made our manager.
  • edited December 2019
    I just hope the conversation doesn’t go,hi two daves where’s hugill we need him back :lol:
  • Moyes was not top of my list but Pelle has only averaged a point a game this season. I am sure Moyes can do better than that if we can get a few changes of players
  • Outcast

No idea how accurate it is, but there was a suggestion Moyes wanted a bigger say re: transfers. I don't mind that if it is true, and if it is code for "I'm not having the Sullivans playing football manager with my squad," then I love it.
  • Well I hope that was it.

https://theathletic.com/1494456/2019/12/30/swapping-pellegrini-for-moyes-alone-wont-solve-west-hams-problems-the-structure-of-the-club-is-flawed/?source=shared-article

I thought this was a really good article on the structural problems in the club. The way it’s run means a manager change leads to complete overhaul and they’ve made a mistake again by appointing a manager because a director of football who can plan for the club.

I’m not sure DoFs are always needed but I think or owners have shown they’re not up to the task of planning our future.
  • Lol the mirror reporting the final straw was the failure to reprimand Antonio for his car crash
  • Should have reprimanded him for his performance on Saturday.
  • So here we go again.So many times over the years this club have tested my love and loyalty.Going back to the Cearns, the Icelandics, Brown and now this lot,the frustration has been so overwhelming sometimes and “I give up” has been heard a good few times.But, as we all know you might as well change your blood group,there’s nothing you can do about it, you’re stuck with it.
    As underwhelming as this appointment is,this is my club, not Sullivan’s,Gold’s or Brady’s and will be ‘til the day I shuffle of, so I will continue to feel the highs of the odd win against a top team and the lows of yet another 4th round exit against the likes of Newport.
    So we are where we are, good luck to Moyes and I hope he gets me more highs than lows.
  • I Hope Psycho is packing his bag. Get the band back together. Let's do this
  • OCS

But why would he hamstring himself? It’s his reputation on the line.

What reputation? No other PL club would touch him. Watford appointed Pearson. Newcastle appointed Bruce. Could you see any other team taking him on?

Like I say, I hope you're right, but it was West Ham with very little to spend, or no job at all, IMO.
    I hope so too.

But if it turns out I am not I will mod this thread to make it look like I am :biggrin:
  • Just when you think Suz couldn't be held in higher esteem... :clap:
  • Cuz don’t you think he should have been reprimanded? He could have killed someone or even has a serious injury ruling him out for the season.
  • edited December 2019
    I am surprised that Moyes only got an 18-month contract, I expected him to insist on a few years so that S&G couldn't get rid of him as easily as last time,

According to the Express he wants to bring Stuart Pearce in as assistant along with Alan Irvine (ex-manager PNE, Wednesday, WBA and Norwich) and Billy McKinlay (was with Moyes at Real Sociedad, Sunderland and us)
  • edited December 2019

Cuz don’t you think he should have been reprimanded? He could have killed someone or even has a serious injury ruling him out for the season.

Reprimanded for what?

There's no suggestion he did anything wrong, either by club rules or by the law. It was an accident.

• There's no suggestion he did anything wrong

Although dressing as a snowman may count as a crime against fashion...
  • I am surprised that Moyes only got an 18-month contract, I expected him to insist on a few years so that S&G couldn't get rid of him as easily as last time,

According to the Express he wants to bring Stuart Pearce in as assistant along with Alan Irvine (ex-manager PNE, Wednesday, WBA and Norwich) and Billy McKinlay (was with Moyes at Real Sociedad, Sunderland and us)

I like this.

The thought of angry Scots and a ‘not pleased’ Pearce waiting for the players fills me with joy :devil: :biggrin:
  • Grey, it's the latest stylie :biggrin:
  • ...although probably one of his better wardrobe selections...
  • Spotted leaving the scene of the accident...

• Cuz don’t you think he should have been reprimanded? He could have killed someone or even has a serious injury ruling him out for the season.

No, if it his believed as reported that the police had turned up and said there were no criminal activity and my point was surely that wasn’t the reason that forced the owners into the decision to sack him
  • I am surprised that Moyes only got an 18-month contract, I expected him to insist on a few years so that S&G couldn't get rid of him as easily as last time,

I am surprised too. 18 months is neither one thing nor the other. Either back him properly and trust in the decision or make it clear it is another interim gig

Or maybe they already have, say, Rafa lined up at the end of the season but aren’t telling anyone?

What will they do in the summer if we finish say on 43 points after a mixed bag of results and performances and he has one year left?
  • Mrs G do you think he’d have crashed if he hadn’t been dressed as a snowman? He claimed that he crashed because the outfit fell over his eyes and apparently the police are considering looking into it again for driving without due care and attention.
    By reprimanded I meant given a right rollicking as he was on his way to the team hotel and in the state we are in if he’d been hurt, given that he’s been our best player recently, could have had serious consequences.
  • Just watched the Moyes interview. He has nailed it "we have to defend better and we have to attack better"
  • The Moyesiah :bowdown:
  • You can already see why sully was desperate to have him back. Such incredible insight after less than a day in the job