The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• edited December 2019

Over Moyes?

Well Parker, Potter, Wilder for starters

And I refuse to believe all would be mission impossible - money talks as Everton have just proved

You can add Benitez to that, IMO you are right Money talks, u get nothing if you don't try, that's right we are getting....David Moyes :wahoo:
  • I for one cannot believe any West Ham supporter would be impressed with this appointment, but what do I know, each to their own :ok:

I wouldn’t say I’m ecstatic, to be honest. I just think we need to get out of the mess left behind by another ‘sexy’ manager who alleges ‘sexy’ football but can’t get a team to defend or run beyond 60 minutes.

Relegation would be catastrophic for us. I don’t blame the owners for playing it safe (I blame them for many other things, but not that, not in this situation).

And like I say, it’s my opinion that we have an awful lot of talent going forward. So a manager that comes in and structures the team and improves the fitness, work-rate and defending will do well here.

Get the back-line and midfielders fit and solid and give the ball to Felipe and Lanzini and co and I think we’ll climb the table.
  • Over Moyes?

And I refuse to believe all would be mission impossible - money talks as Everton have just proved

You can add Benitez to that, IMO you are right Money talks, u get nothing if you don't try, that's right we are getting....David Moyes :wahoo:
    Pelle was one of the highest paid managers in the world. So let’s stop pretending the owners are cheap when hiring managers.
  • Cuz1 said:

He did such a good job that clubs seem to be climbing over him to appoint him

I don’t really care what other clubs do/think/want.
    Well I think it is very relevant. If an employee of mine left, did not work in the relevant type of role for the best part of two years, I wouldn’t be overly desperate to take them back on. Fair play if any of you think differently
  • edited December 2019

Over Moyes?

Pelle was one of the highest paid managers in the world. So let’s stop pretending the owners are cheap when hiring managers.
    jorderz, we all know he was well paid, no issue, so do it again then ( & BTW we never paid anything to his Chinese club that Pelle had quit before joining us ) so we never paid massive compensation just an above average salary.
  • edited December 2019

I for one cannot believe any West Ham supporter would be impressed with this appointment, but what do I know, each to their own :ok:

I wouldn’t say I’m ecstatic, to be honest. I just think we need to get out of the mess left behind by another ‘sexy’ manager who alleges ‘sexy’ football but can’t get a team to defend or run beyond 60 minutes.

Relegation would be catastrophic for us. I don’t blame the owners for playing it safe (I blame them for many other things, but not that, not in this situation).

And like I say, it’s my opinion that we have an awful lot of talent going forward. So a manager that comes in and structures the team and improves the fitness, work-rate and defending will do well here.

Get the back-line and midfielders fit and solid and give the ball to Felipe and Lanzini and co and I think we’ll climb the table.
    If Pelle is your idea of Sexy, then sorry Jorderz you need to see an optician ;)
  • Cuz1 said:

He did such a good job that clubs seem to be climbing over him to appoint him

I don’t really care what other clubs do/think/want.
    Well I think it is very relevant. If an employee of mine left, did not work in the relevant type of role for the best part of two years, I wouldn’t be overly desperate to take them back on. Fair play if any of you think differently
    Personally if an employee of mine left after doing a good job (delivering on the job they were given, at least) and I needed that job doing again, and they were available, I wouldn’t give a monkeys what they’d been doing in the meantime.
  • I lost you at “doing a good job” Jorderz

Agree to disagree?

:ok:
  • edited December 2019
    It is just sad that the obvious incoming is probably going to be so unpopular to start with, we will all try to support him I'm sure just with a sad heart & gritted teeth for me, sad times when it's come to reappointing a manager like Moyes, all IMO of course.
  • Over Moyes?

The issue, IMO, is whether they're prepared to buy someone they really want out of their contract.

I reckon Benitez has always been Sullivan's No1 choice, but right now he'd cost money to get him in. And I think this where our owners won't break the bank. Imagine Moyes had joined another club when he left us. He's half way through a three-year contract and would cost £6m to get him and his backroom staff. Do you think he'd be top of the list then? Or do you think we'd be talking about Hughton or Pulis?
  • edited December 2019
    baracks/jorderz, you are comparing apples and pears. 'Ordinary' employees are expected to be in regular employment and not have gaps on their CVs. Football managers frequently do, and it's normal. Pep... Benitez...Jose... all names that have been mentioned by posters are preferred.
  • I lost you at “doing a good job” Jorderz

Agree to disagree?

Well, I think his job was to keep us up and he did it. So that’s a good job.

I don’t think his job was to take us from 18th to the Europa League.

But sure :thumbsup:
  • Over Moyes?

The issue, IMO, is whether they're prepared to buy someone they really want out of their contract.

I reckon Benitez has always been Sullivan's No1 choice, but right now he'd cost money to get him in. And I think this where our owners won't break the bank. Imagine Moyes had joined another club when he left us. He's half way through a three-year contract and would cost £6m to get him and his backroom staff. Do you think he'd be top of the list then? Or do you think we'd be talking about Hughton or Pulis?
    I do think Benitez would be their first choice, honestly. But he may well have indicated he doesn’t want to come to us, rather than it being a case of them not paying.

Plus spending a fortune on Pelle hasn’t worked out. Don’t blame them for being more cautious this time.
  • If it’s a money thing then

Rafa + no Jan signings > Moyes plus Jan transfer kitty

Although I do appreciate it is more complicated on the Rafa front than that
  • Imo we won’t go down, but when these players wake up and perform and fab earns us a few points I for one won’t be banging on the moyes drum, if he his appointed I will be bitterly disappointed
  • I've been waiting for a stat person to work out what our points will be at the end of the season basing it on his last stint-
    P31
    W9
    D10L12

This time he he has only 19 games to work with ( forget cup matches )...

Moyes first 19 league games ended W5 D6 L8.
  • Thanks IH, so that would give us the magic 40 points...will it be enough?...will he be able to do the same or better, guess only time will tell :ok:
  • If it’s a money thing then

Rafa + no Jan signings > Moyes plus Jan transfer kitty

Although I do appreciate it is more complicated on the Rafa front than that

Rafa and no kitty for me
  • Hopefully Moyes will get us out of this dark relegation spiral. If he pulls it off again, really looking forward to him having a pre-season and transfer window for next season.
  • I for one cannot believe any West Ham supporter would be impressed with this appointment, but what do I know, each to their own :ok:

Any West Ham supporter? Out of the hundreds of thousands world wide?

A bold statement.

But, each to their own.
  • Thought I’d have a look at our squad now (left) and compare it to when Moyes was last here (right). I’ve split them by defenders, midfielders (central) and attackers (including wingers). Although the split can be different since some can play in various roles like Anderson, Lanzini, Snodgrass.

• Just think, this whole pallava caused by Roberto - I was never convinced by Pelle and thought he underwhelmed generally, however still I think we’d have bumbled along and been around 6 points better off, with Pelle still in charge
  • You only live once Suzanne be bold or ...go home ;)
  • Excellent work Adam :clap:
  • edited December 2019
    Adam said:

Thought I’d have a look at our squad now (left) and compare it to when Moyes was last here (right). I’ve split them by defenders, midfielders (central) and attackers (including wingers). Although the split can be different since some can play in various roles like Anderson, Lanzini, Snodgrass.

Our midfielder and attack is worse now imo.

Although Rice is better than he was then.
  • So Jorderz, re Adam’s excellent post, Moyes had a better midfield and attack than Pelle?
  • Adam :ok: that's even more worrying now looking at that...
  • So Jorderz, re Adam’s excellent post, Moyes had a better midfield and attack than Pelle?

I think he had more strength in depth in midfield. Rice is so much better now than then that I don’t think you can really count him as being part of Moyes’ best team.

With forwards, again there was an extra option then, though Sakho and Carroll were perpetually injured and Ayew and Chica were both awful apart from an occasional finish in the 6-yard box.

But IMO all of Fabianski, Diop, Balbuena, Fredericks, Fornals, Anderson, Yarmo, Haller and even Snodgrass are better (should be better, though haven’t been performing) than their equivalents under Moyes.
  • Yarmo is rubbish imo
  • These are my feelings on the comparison:

1) Fabianksi is much better than Adrian/Hart.

2) Central Defenders are better now and Fredericks is better than Byram (I think the best is yet to come from Fredericks and playing him at wingback might be best).

3) Central Midfield is where we lack but I don’t think Kouyate, Fernandes and Joao Mario were that good anyway. Hopefully we can rectify that in the winter/summer.

4) Anderson is much better than Ayew. Arnie played better than Haller has but Haller has proven he is a very good player in the past. Also, we had more typical strikers than we do now but the number of strikers needed is dependent on your style of play.