The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• I think there’s a better player in Yarmo than Ayew ever was for us. But I agree he’s generally disappointed. Though shouldn’t be forgotten he missed almost all of last season. Might still be getting used to the league, like Fornals is.
  • Has it been announced? Cant wait, can't wait, can't wait!
  • Ayew actually scored some important goals for us. I thought he was an ok player. Not worth the money but ok.
  • Bilic loved Ayew when he destroyed us. Problem was we played nothing like Swansea. Was a complete passenger in out formations and tactics.
  • edited December 2019
    I feel things could be worse than we imagine in that when people say that we have missed out on other managers by leaving it later than they did I am not sure I agree. If we are anything like organised behind the scenes we would have been making overtures these last few weeks and I imagine Ancelotti, Benitez etc would have been contacted and sounded out. It could very well be that we have found no one of any greater stature than Moyes interested. I simply cannot imagine the club went into the process of drawing up a list of preferred candidates and that Moyes was anywhere near the top. After all if the group of people who will be employing him this time is the same that took the decision to not renew last time its unlikely they are too enthused by his appointment this time. It feels like a 'we just need someone' appointment.

It's massive for the directors as this is loading a gun for those that would like nothing more than to protest again. I am not sure they deserve any blame for where we are at present as they secured an experienced manager with good credentials and have supported him to a reasonable extent in the transfer market. My view is still that Roberto sent us into freefall and the lost confidence contrived to make matters worse and like some others feel without Roberto we would be mid table and mildly grumbling rather than where we are. This appointment however could be seen as a poor appointment as there is little in Moyes recent CV to suggest he is manager to take us forward or even survive relegation. I thought his last stint here was ok but I was not fussed about him being let go. It's not the worst appointment in the world but I doubt many are actually excited.

If I look to best and worst scenarios at end of season they would be as follows.

Moyes given money in January and spends well, he gets players working harder and unlocks a couple as he did with Arnie. We begin to climb to mid table and after a good late run we end up around 8th -9th and it goes down as another missed season but look forward to next with a good squad atmosphere.

Moyes makes some pretty unimaginative additions in January, we scrape a few draws but stay around relegation most of the season but just about manage to survive by 3 or 4 points come the end. Rice decides he wants to leave along with one or two others and we have to really build from the bottom again after another wasted year since leaving the Boleyn on such a high still no better off for doing so football wise.
  • Let's face it, we're in a fire-fighting situation.
    What high-profile manager would want to come to us and risk having a blot on their CV as MP now has? That's more likely to be the reason Rafa has said no.
    We've probably been lucky that Moyes has even agreed to return.
    I really think we were a cert to go down if MP had stayed.
  • How about Harry (roley poley man) or big Sam.
  • I just want to know why Moyes hasn't been snapped up elsewhere in the past 18 months if he's that good?
  • None of us appear to know.
  • He's been saving himself for us.... :lol:
  • BBC article on the sacking:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50936102

Some of the content could suggest that this may have been influenced by views from our owners...

"Club sources said the decision to sign Roberto as back-up to Fabianski was solely down to Pellegrini and his trusted ally Mario Husillos, who was appointed on a three-year deal around the same time as the Chilean."

"West Ham placed unprecedented faith in Pellegrini to bring success to the football side of the club after managing director Karren Brady had helped end the very public dispute with their London Stadium landlords."

"Part of this is natural supporter demand to want more than they have, disregarding the consequences of overspending and getting it wrong. But the fury at taking the club out of Upton Park has never completely gone away, even though most accept the stadium was a relic and not fit for a modern-day Premier League club."
  • Who would snap Moyes up? He's trying to rebuild a previous excellent reputation. The only club I can think of that fits would have been Newcastle. Ashley seemed to really want Bruce though. Moyes has something to prove, which is exactly what we needed 2 years ago, and now again. We are not in a position to gamble on a manager that may or may not be able to implement an attractive system with a bunch of lazy mis-fits.
  • Moyes said himself a few weeks ago that he’s had plenty of offers.

Probably from abroad, maybe Championship, maybe struggling Prem sides. Nobody can say either way.

I think he sees himself managing in the top half of the Premier League, which, to be fair, is where he has spent most of his years as a manager.
  • Probably what Sunderland thought.
  • We'll just have to get behind him. :coyi:
  • I have a sneaky suspicion that the “Look who’s back” message the club will put out tomorrow won’t be met with quite the level of exhilaration as it was post the Euros in 2016
  • I’m hoping there might be somebody else in the frame and not all our eggs are on moyes
  • Stevie Wonder, he couldn't be any worse.
  • edited December 2019
    And it's done

• This worries me. It smacks of 'we don't need any new signings in January'.
  • Give him a break OCS.

He’s been here 5 minutes.
  • Well that’s that then....will back him like all the others but we’ve really gone backwards again

He won’t be spending much money, because we haven’t got it
  • Give him a break OCS.

He’s been here 5 minutes.

It's not a dig at Moyes. This is aimed 100% at his employers. I've no doubt that he's been told there isn't much to work with next month.
  • Geezer is gonna have to hit the ground running. Still sounds like it's gonna be a blood bath v Bournemouth.
  • :deadhorse:
  • I hope not Ham.

Moyes should be given a chance as should the players.

Those at the game being stupid does nothing but hinder the chance to turn the season round.
  • 18 month contract? Not exactly a ringing endorsement is it?
  • OCS

I can’t see Moyes being told that there is no money and him being fine with that.