The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• Moyes out .........to early okay :whistle:
  • Am I delighted with Moyes? No.

But do I think he can do a job and give his all to keeping us up and getting the team working and fighting? Yes.

I am very fearful of our fans, though. If he starts with a couple of defeats things could go south really quickly.

Pelle started with 4 defeats but turned that first season around. I hope Moyes is given similar support and patience.

I get people dislike the board (I don’t like them, either), but we really, really need to stay up.

With this stadium, I’m scared relegation could start a real, catastrophic tailspin.
  • And it's done

:weep:
  • OCS

I can’t see Moyes being told that there is no money and him being fine with that.

Hope you're right Suze.

But I can absolutely see it. Fella's been given another shot in the PL; doubt he'd turn it down because of a lack of transfer funds.
  • Ok, so we are short in c/m and it’s the jan transfer window. What over the hill Moyes favourite can we expect to come in on a fat wage packet

Welcome Marouane Fellaini
  • Yes true but just wish it wasn’t us to afford him that chance it’s a NO from me
  • OCS

But why would he hamstring himself? It’s his reputation on the line.
  • I hope not Ham.

Moyes should be given a chance as should the players.

Those at the game being stupid does nothing but hinder the chance to turn the season round.

Agreed but it's gonna happen I think. Anti owners rather than manager.
  • Welcome home David Moyes. Finally the wrong will be righted. This season just came alive again. Fantastic news
  • We would be lucky to have a player of Fellaini’s standard in our midfield. He would be one of the best centre mids we have had for years.
  • I wish him well. Easy-ish game first up. Could have been a lot tougher. I expect a feel good bounce back factor and a home win.
  • Let us hope the Moyes appointment is in the nick of time to save our EPL status. I would be nice to win the FA cup, not too much to ask is it.
  • Underwhelmed.

However, I wish Moyes well.

Better than Pulis
  • Jorderz

I don’t think he will be afforded much patience. He is a firefighter at the end of the day. He will be expected to deliver pretty much immediately (in terms of pulling us right away from the drop zone). Especially as he knows the set up and most of the squad.
  • We would be lucky to have a player of Fellaini’s standard in our midfield. He would be one of the best centre mids we have had for years.

I don’t know what my football standards are if he’s one of the best we’ve had in years to be honest and if we were lucky to have him I wish us no luck at all
  • dumb appointment
  • I completely disagree with this appointment on all levels. I accepted a change was probably needed but this is not the appointment I would have wanted us to go anywhere near.

However, to contribute something other than doom & gloom, the Premier League has several underwhelming managers who are currently doing a half-decent job at their current clubs:

Steve Bruce
    Nigel Pearson
    Chris Wilder
    Sean Dyche

None of those are ‘exotic’ names, but all have done steady jobs so far with their current clubs.

It’s not always the best name, but the right fit.
  • OCS

But why would he hamstring himself? It’s his reputation on the line.

What reputation? No other PL club would touch him. Watford appointed Pearson. Newcastle appointed Bruce. Could you see any other team taking him on?

Like I say, I hope you're right, but it was West Ham with very little to spend, or no job at all, IMO.
  • Pellegrini struggled with getting a consistent tune out of the side. Moyes won’t revolutionise our attacking play or our defending, he may just make us a tad more consistent.

When we defended well under Pelle, we were excellent, especially when utilising the high line. We kept clean sheets against Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd (plus games where we only conceded once against the likes of City & Liverpool). When we did it, when the mentality was right, we did it well.
  • Hamstew said:

Geezer is gonna have to hit the ground running. Still sounds like it's gonna be a blood bath v Bournemouth.

Can you explain why it could be a bloodbath?

• mike said:

Hamstew said:

Geezer is gonna have to hit the ground running. Still sounds like it's gonna be a blood bath v Bournemouth.

Can you explain why it could be a bloodbath?

I mean the noises on twitter from the usual lot seem to be planning some sort of protest like what happened v Burnley. Don't get me wrong I hope not as I was at that game which completely ruined my eldest sons football experience. One that turned him off football. Just saying what I'm reading on twitter.
  • Ham :ok:
    I was at that game as well, blooming stupid imo.
    I hope it doesn’t come to that on Wednesday.
  • Wow, no wonder they all laugh at us. Would you read some of your comments back to yourselves.
    I said earlier that we're in fire-fighting mode and no high-profile manager would want to take over and risk their reputation.
    Someone mentioned Steve Bruce is doing well - but if he had been available before he went to the Barcodes would you have been happy. I don't think so given all the ridicule he's had on this forum in the past.
    MP was taking us down and he had to go and unfortunately Klopp and Pep are otherwise engaged.
    Give Moyes the same amount of rope that we gave MP before we start calling for all their heads.
    :scarf: :scarf:
  • I think he will get one of the shortest honeymoon periods in management history and will need to hit the ground running, I think he needs three points at Bournemouth and to comfortably see off Gillingham to dampen down potential unrest.

One good thing is that at least Pelle isn't picking the cup team. Part of me felt that even with Fabianski back he would have still played Roberto. I will be amazed if Moyes doesn't put out a full strength team as elimination from the cup in his second game in charge will not go down well.
  • Certainly not happy or impressed, but I will support him & the team, albeit with a tinge of disappointment.
  • mike said:

Ham :ok:
    I was at that game as well, blooming stupid imo.
    I hope it doesn’t come to that on Wednesday.

Was horrible. Him saying " dad can we leave?" Broke my heart.
  • Lukerz

I think you are selling wilder and Pearson a little short

Wilder just seems to be getting better and better season by season. Obviously remains to be seen how he does in 2020

And IMO it was Pearson who pretty much built Leicester’s title winning side - at the time of his sacking following Ostrich-gate he had won 7 and drawn 1 of his last 9 league games.

I wouldn’t put either of these two in the same category as Bruce
  • Moyes, not my 1st choice. But decision made now. So I shall be going to match as usual on Wednesday and will give manager and team my full support.
    Pellegrine, I wish him well. I think he is to much of a Mr nice guy.

• I think he will get one of the shortest honeymoon periods in management history and will need to hit the ground running, I think he needs three points at Bournemouth and to comfortably see off Gillingham to dampen down potential unrest.

One good thing is that at least Pelle isn't picking the cup team. Part of me felt that even with Fabianski back he would have still played Roberto. I will be amazed if Moyes doesn't put out a full strength team as elimination from the cup in his second game in charge will not go down well.

Oh i think Gillingham will turn us over....I think West Ham are about to see what a real Haller / Antonio can do up front as a two.
  • edited December 2019
    "It feels great to be home," said Moyes, who led the Hammers to Premier League safety in a seven-month spell from November 2017.

"I've missed being here because I really enjoyed it and I feel like I've got unfinished business, so I can't wait to get started."

Geezer has a point to prove. I think he will do just that.