Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• getting rid of all these players and no replacements ? we had 25 players last season and our bench for the final 2 games were all kids because of all the injuries.... better hope a few are coming in considering we are loaning out all the potential youngsters who could be involved with the first team.
  • Hamstew said:

Says Feghouli has left on twitter

Would be disappointed with that. If we sell him and keep Snodgrass.... ;doh
  • I wonder how long before we end up going for Ballotelli as our last ditch striker purchase?
  • edited July 2017
    Yeold - think we can expect at least 5 new additions this window. Hopefully all 'quality'.

There is no way we can let go several first team players and not replace them with upgrades.

The owners aren't that stupid.

Tbf I am usually quite critical of the owners spending on transfer purchases since they've been here (other than the summer of 2015, which was excellent), but I am weirdly quietly confident about this summer. Maybe it's the silence and limited interviews. Even Jack has shut it.

Plenty of wages being freed up, some money being recouped in fees, hopefully allowing us to be in a stronger position when the serious bidding gets underway.

Quality not quantity. I think they may have learned...
  • I wonder how long before we end up going for Ballotelli as our last ditch striker purchase?

Signed for Nice, unfortunately
  • Twist

Didn't see he had signed a contract extension.
    At least that's one dodgy transfer we can't make !
  • edited July 2017
    So, just saw the rumour that Leicester are after Deeney for around £20m (could all be rubbish, but I know some on here have said they'd take him.)

So I felt a bit stattish, and lo, stats for Deeney, AC and Andre Gray:

Capture

Moral of the story?

A one-legged Andy Carrol is as good as either of those two.
  • that means carroll must be worth about 30 m even with one leg ;biggrin
  • It seems like starting value now days is 20m....
  • But he is mostly injured so I would take Deeney or Gray over him cause at least we will get 30+ games out of them
  • But you don't get anymore goals out of them so what's the point?
  • Yeah fair point. May as well have AC for 18 games if he bags you 7 goals than Gray for 38 if he gets you 9!

Although I suppose the argument is whether Gray (or Deeney) would score more goals in their starts when being supported by Lanzini, Antonio, Ayew, Snodgrass, Carroll, Cresswell, Masuaku, Byram etc than he would at Burnley?
  • Rather keep hold of AC and trust that he will get a run of luck as opposed to a run of injuries.
  • The impression I have of Deeney is that you get more than goals, he is kind of a Nolan figure in the dressing room and on the pitch. .

Not that I want him by the way but Stats are not the total measure of a players value to a team imo.
  • Yeah, keep Carroll. Great impact sub. And I'd keep Martinez at the club too.

But we still need two strikers to suppliment then.
  • AC a run of luck he has being a crock for years and will continue to be. I would rather get a player in who can play those 30 games and hopefully with a better team around him score more goals.
  • Yeah fair point. May as well have AC for 18 games if he bags you 7 goals than Gray for 38 if he gets you 9!

Although I suppose the argument is whether Gray (or Deeney) would score more goals in their starts when being supported by Lanzini, Antonio, Ayew, Snodgrass, Carroll, Cresswell, Masuaku, Byram etc than he would at Burnley?

To be honest, I don't think this lot make anywhere near as many chances as they should.

I've felt for a long time that, while most of our recent striker signings haven't been great, none of them tend to spend all game every game missing chances.

Obviously better strikers find better positions and more space, but I still there's a deeper dysfunctional element in our attacking player which means we don't create anywhere near as many chances for our forwards as we should.
  • I bet Deeney and Gray would be cheaper wages than Carrolls 100k odd
  • Yeah, keep Carroll. Great impact sub.

Yes but he doesn't fit the criteria. An impact sub needs to be fit and ready whenever called upon. AC gets injured randomly and nothing is heard about what is going on with him for weeks. Right now I'm not overly concerned with if he's been unlucky with injuries etc. Fact is he is typically not available at times we need him most so once we have signed a couple of new strikers personally I would get rid either permanently or via a loan
  • Jorderz

I would agree - we don't really create that much for our (not so great) strikers to miss - especially since you know who left.

So I can see Giroud signing, bagging only around 9-10 goals in the season and this site going into meltdown ;lol
  • baracks

Fair enough, but I don't see the point in signing players who are no better than he is, even with his run of injuries.

If we're talking Bats, Iheanacho, Giroud or Little Pea, that's one thing, but not Deeney or Gray for me.
  • Grey I agree Deeney or Gray is not a step up ;ok

Did you look that up, or make it up? ;biggrin
  • did I read somewhere that Giroud wants to stay at Arsenal and be loyal to them if that's true then guess we can cross him off our list

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2835441/premier-league-player-wages-manchester-united-chelsea-arsenal-spending/

Deeney earns more than AC, according to the Sun.
  • Another thing I've often thought is that 'panic buys' can go both ways.

IMO you can panic buy too early in the window. For example, imagine if we'd used a big wage allowance on Defoe and then in July a chance comes up for signing Giroud or Bats and we don't have space on the wage bill anymore.

I'm glad the club are taking their time and trying to sign the right players for the right price, rather than anybody for any price to keep sections of fans happy.
  • steve said:

did I read somewhere that Giroud wants to stay at Arsenal and be loyal to them if that's true then guess we can cross him off our list

I personally don't read too much into that - he's playing it with a straight bat.
  • Can't abide Deeney, apart from his mediocre football ability.

He was jailed for his part in a vicious assault on some students, and yet all you ever hear from him is how he has struggled and suffered and dealt with stuff.

• Just out of interest, I wonder how Eddie Howe plans to keep all of Defoe, josh king and Callum wilson happy and motivated at the same time ;hmm
  • Just out of interest, I wonder how Eddie Howe plans to keep all of Defoe, josh king and Callum wilson happy and motivated at the same time ;hmm

Not to mention Afobe, who they splashed £10m on 18 months ago.
This discussion has been closed.