Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• With the Kone mention in mind, we could add Niasse to that... (no, I dont want either of them, especially Kone)

He actually scored a few for Hull when on loan and Everton I'm guessing will want him gone.

So we could make a move for 'crackin' Niasse' ;run

• edited July 2017
    MrsGrey said:

To say West ham are failing is just not realistic: how many clubs (even those with gazillions of pounds to spend, sexy managers, Champions League football to offer, and a strong likelihood of trophies and medals) get their targets in by the start of pre-season?

It kind of sounds like you're implying Slaven isn't sexy ;nonono Wash your mouth out with soap.
  • MrsGrey said:

There's nearly 2 months of the transfer window left.

The thing is a similar rhetoric was put out last year, and look who we ended up with.

I'm personally not panicking just yet, however I don't blame anyone out there who is...
    I begin to panic the moment the transfer window opens. The panic begins to grow when I consider who we haven't been able to sign during the transfer window. Wild panic sets in when the season starts, the transfer window closes and I realise who we actually have signed.
  • I'm still trying to get past Suz thinking Gary Neville is hot ;puzzled
  • Slav back at Rush green tomorrow after operation maybe with him back he will get transfers moving
  • edited July 2017
    I am surprised that there is a level of calm by most on here based on the evidence of the last three windows. After an exceptional transfer window after Slaven's arrival, we have dramatically declined in the level of player we have signed and the contribution these players have made to the squad.

Just to recap, our summer 2015 business was as follows:
    Randolph
    Obiang
    Payet
    Ogbonna
    Jenkinson
    Lanzini
    Antonio
    Jelavic
    Moses
    Song

We followed a good window with what generally follows; a good season. 7th place and a positive GD, over 60 points accumulated. Only thing that would've topped it woud've been winning one of the domestic cups. We were in Europe (albeit fortuitously).

Now correct me if I'm wrong, following that we moved home; the dream of Sullivan, Gold and Brady. This was not a move the fans campaigned for, this was a move they campaigned for and got, through the backing of the fans, after putting forward a case as to why this move was absolutely necessary for the future of the football club, its stability, its growth potential and all round standing in, not just domestic football, but potentially European football long term. What Karen Brady stated was "it is our duty to put out a team matching the stadium". All these words and actions came from the club hierarchy, not the supporters.

What has followed has been nothing short of a shambles in terms of player purchases (in hindsight). Now many will say "we signed players with reason for optimism last summer/these guys had international and European experience/came from big clubs". Maybe. What we know is that they didn't produce immediately. If we don't get results in our jobs, however results are judged, we don't get "well in hindsight it looked a good idea, just unlucky it didn't work out". What we get is something like "big mistake, hasn't worked, please don't repeat it and learn from your mistakes". So whatever the good intentions behind Nordtveit, Feghouli, Snodgrass, Zaza, Calleri and Fletcher, the results were not there to back up the purchases. Then you have to consider the sales of two important first XI players from our successful 15/16 season for a combined fee of around £37m (Tomkins and Payet).

So I can completely understand, based on the evidence since the summer of 2015 (including Emenike, Byram, Snodgrass and Fonte), and particularly since we moved to the new ground, why there is concern amongst some and I don't think it is fair to imply those fears are stupid or dramatic. They are based on IMO three pretty below par transfers windows given the strides the club has made on the pitch and off.

At the moment, we are coming to the end of week 1 in July, and we sit at one arrival (32 year old and a free) and several first team departures from the squad that kicked off last season, with more looking like following.

The owners, of course, can put this right over the next 8/9 weeks and I hope they do. There is plenty of time and I will wait until September before judging the window.
  • Luke

For my part, what I don't get is the 'we haven't got players by the start of July - that's a disaster!' attitude.

Since you say you are happy to wait until September, I guess that's your view too.
  • edited July 2017
    Luke, I'm suggesting that the worries about what dates we sign people, or which clubs sign their players before we do, are unjustified.

People can worry about what they like.

But. I just don't think that whether players turn out to be bad signings, or need longer than we hope to settle, or pick up long-term injury, or don't make the step up (some of the reasons why in hindsight we say it was a bad window) is in any way related to how early we get the deal done (one major anxiety expressed by some folks on this thread) or how quickly we secure a signature compared to how quickly other clubs secure the signatures of their particular targets.

It's not like signing early -> a player will be a good signing.
    Signing in the last few days of the window -> player will be a bad signing.
  • While I agree that there is a pressure about signing players early that is a bit OTT, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that having these players ready for preseason is a big bonus as everyone can integrate themselves like so many players just haven't......that's pretty much the reason that a lot of teams don't like to buy in January unless they really want it (and the fees are higher)

I don't think we need to have loads of signings right now but by the end of July we need a couple as they need to hit the ground running
  • Andre Gray the talk on twitter tonight.

Would you be happy with him?
  • Valencia has gone to Tigres, no idea how much for
  • Out of all the strikers we have been interested in... if you had to choose your 1st, 2nd & 3rd favourite Who would you pick?

In case you've forgotten - Andre Gray, braithwaite, Giroud, Iheanacho, Luis Jiminez, Walcott, Modeste, Bakambu, Chicharito, Muriel, Defrel, Daniel Sturridge, Batshuayi, Karamoh, Chris Wood, Steve Mounie, Teodorczyk. Think that's all but may have forgotten one or two!!
  • Out of all the strikers we have been interested in... if you had to choose your 1st, 2nd & 3rd favourite Who would you pick?

In case you've forgotten - Andre Gray, braithwaite, Giroud, Iheanacho, Luis Jiminez, Walcott, Modeste, Bakambu, Chicharito, Muriel, Defrel, Daniel Sturridge, Batshuayi, Karamoh, Chris Wood, Steve Mounie, Teodorczyk. Think that's all but may have forgotten one or two!!

Answering my own question here but I'd choose: Chicharito, Giroud, Iheanacho.
  • edited July 2017
    grey/MrsG ;ok

Understood. I just think that obviously doing business quickly is certainly beneficial, given us better preparation to hit the season. So I can see why some are slightly more impatient, especially given last summer.

I wouldn't want to play 3 games of the season and then sign two strikers on deadline day after starting with Fletcher or Antonio up top, even though you could say "they are for the long term and those three games won't define our future".
  • edited July 2017
    Twist - doesn't set my pulse racing but he is quick and strong and does stretch defences. Got 9 goals last season. Plenty in the Championship. Some of the best signings don't initially get pulses racing.

Think he could be a useful addition, but would want him to be accompanied by another signing, hopefully a more 'proven quality' striker.
  • Back to what I said earlier, has anybody got any actual evidence that signing earlier results in a better player long-term?

I understand the fear of panic buys but I wouldn't call anybody not signed by 4th July a panic buy. I'd called panic buys literally last day of the window signings.

I'm pretty sure you could find an equal amount of bad signings which were signed early in the window as those signed late ;hmm

1. Iheanacho
    2. Hernandez
    3. Bakambu

;ok Although id like to think we could get 2 of those 3.
  • I just think that obviously doing business quickly is certainly beneficial, given us better preparation to hit the season.

I wouldn't want to play 3 games of the season and then sign two strikers on deadline day after starting with Fletcher or Antonio up top, even though you could say "they are for the long term and those three games won't define our future".

I agree that early signings probably have a beneficial effect for early games... I think this is particularly the case where a signing has been released by their club at the end of the last season and therefore isn't having a proper pre-season. Despite a 'free' player's best efforts to keep fit on their own, missing out of a proper pre-season does put them behind the curve and it takes a while for them to catch up. This makes their usefulness in the early part of the season less than it might have been, I think.

I'm not convinced it makes much difference in the long term though.

• edited July 2017
    1) Bats (obviously)
    2) Iheanacho (think if we were going to get him we wouldve already - Lots will want him)
    3) Hernandez (would IMO link up great with Carrol/Lanzini/Ayew - Also price wise excellent but now its broadcast i'd again be surprised if he came to us)

Gray is gettable and he's quick/a nuisance + scores pretty well numbers wise.

I never wanted Giroud but theres a quote from some Everton guy I read a few minutes back saying Everton are signing him and Rooney.

Wonder if we'll try for Walcott if/when Giroud goes.... He wasnt getting in the side late last season when they switched to 3 at the back. Ox was in front of him with Welbeck/Giroud up front ;hmm

• I understand the fear of panic buys but I wouldn't call anybody not signed by 4th July a panic buy. I'd called panic buys literally last day of the window signings.

Or frees signed after the window closes because you couldn't persuade anyone else to sign, or you get hit by a raft of weird injuries and we need emergency cover ;weep
  • We probably won't get any of the above strikers, but in our situation with only
    having A C WHEN fit, I would be happy to have any of the named strikers above.
  • Gray would be a standing still signing, for me. I'd sooner see Fletcher get a run.
  • MrsGrey said:

I understand the fear of panic buys but I wouldn't call anybody not signed by 4th July a panic buy. I'd called panic buys literally last day of the window signings.

Or frees signed after the window closes because you couldn't persuade anyone else to sign, or you get hit by a raft of weird injuries and we need emergency cover ;weep
    Those aren't panic buys, they are hysterical buys.
  • Enner Valencia to Tigres for £6m-£7m according to Sky Sports.
  • Also from Sky Sports:

Huddersfield Town have completed the signing of Montpellier striker Steve Mounie for a club record fee.

The Benin international has signed a four-year contract and will cost Huddersfield around £11million, according to Sky sources.
  • Best price we could have hoped for for Valencia.
  • MrsGrey said:

IMG_20150613_124421
  • Slaven a laugh

I liked your piece on the level of calm people are showing earlier .
  • Says Feghouli has left on twitter
  • Hamstew said:

Says Feghouli has left on twitter

I don't blame him, twitter is not all it's made out to be.

;wink
This discussion has been closed.