Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• T&S - fully agree transfer fees are astronomical for even 'average/good' players this last year. This new TV deal coming in has put a lot of extra cash in clubs coffers, and with some clubs maintaining/gaining significant investment from owners the levels of available cash seems incredible.

Would anybody believe only a five or so years back that Championship sides would be regularly buying players for £10m+?!

Helda Costa to Wolves £12.75m; McCormack to Villa £12m AND to Fulham £11m; Ritchie to Newc £12m; Gray to Burnley £10.5m; etc etc etc
  • edited July 2017
    Of the players we're linked to, I would want Giroud and Hernandez as my top targets, the Iheanacho, then Batshuayi, then the others.
  • baracks - the only issue on that is who will buy with their injury records? As I stated above, it seems we tried to find Sakho a new club last summer and weren't successful. Then what, do we release them on a free, buy out their contracts? That would be expensive and we then wouldn't have them as an option for when they are fit. It really is a difficult and awkward situation. On transfermrkt they show Carroll's contract as being until June 2019 and Sakho's until June 2018. I feel both will be with us until they run out.
  • Sky also reporting both Burnley and Watford want Ashley Fletcher.
  • Florin

You are quite right

However AC might just be a loan option for a club? Maybe even Sakho too. We are not going to get much for either in terms of a sale, but then them staying, utilising wages and not playing does us no favours
  • Its time our owners realised that the market has moved on and you can't get a Lanzini (a massive bargain) every window.
    No, it's time some of our fans recognised how much money the owners spend on transfers.

At the risk of repeating myself:

complaining about the quality of the transfers is a matter of opinion

complaining about the perceived lack of spend by the owners is a matter of not being bothered to look at the facts.
  • Wonder if we're offering less than the release clause? Why would we be in discussions with the club considering he has a release clause?

Claret & Hugh report that Hernandez is in no rush and will wait for other offers.
  • @alderz - I still really like the look of Batshuayi. Was really disappointed he chose Chelsea over us last summer as he looked class in videos for both Marseille and Liege, then I thought he looked very good in his cameos at Chelsea. Lots of experience yet only 23. Would sort of love us to just offer Chelsea pretty much their money back and get him over here on a perm, especially when it seems they are after another striker. However not sure whether it's possible and I don't really want him on a loan; I'm not a fan of improving players for another team's future without us receiving any transfer income at all.

As I've previously stated I think Giroud would be a great signing for us and it surprises me that some think he wouldn't be good for us. A regular champions league and French national player who has a good goalscoring record. Usually this would make him out of our reach but it seems there is a chance with Arsenal looking to bring in better, him wanting games, and crucially it seems he wants to stay in the Capital.

Hernandez again would be a top purchase. We all know he can score in the prem, his ability and ;baldock skillz, and he has a had a top couple of years at Leverkusen. That supposed buy out clause is more than acceptable at todays rates, I just feel better teams then us will come in for him knocking us to touch.

Iheanacho is a weird one for me. Clearly got great ability but not really had the chance to show it that much, understandable as he's only 20, but that transfer fee plus buy back deal is of a concern to me. However if we can bring in 2 and he's one of the 2 I would be more than happy. If we can only bring in one striker this summer, I feel it's a lot to put on his relatively inexperienced youthful shoulders.
  • baracks - you are also bang on with all that. ;ok

My only discrepancy would be I'd still keep Carroll, even if he can only play half a season than loan him out (still working on the presumption we bring in at least one 'first team' striker). I am actually fed up with Sakho far more than Andy, so really hoping we are able to shift him in whatever form this summer (although I fear it won't happen), a shame as I used to be a big fan.
  • Wonder if we're offering less than the release clause? Why would we be in discussions with the club considering he has a release clause?

Claret & Hugh report that Hernandez is in no rush and will wait for other offers.

Well first of all you have to talk to the club to confirm that there is, or is not, a release clause. You then need to know what stipulations there are in the release clause. You then discuss any sell on fees. You then discuss payment terms as very few, if any, transfers are paid up in full immediately. Once agreed you ask them if you can approach the player. Simples!
  • OK, so we get rid of AC and Sakho and buy Giroud and Hernandez. The newbies then get serious injuries in the first few weeks of the season, but after the window has closed.

Who ya gonna call?
  • ;wave Information: some of these posts were made on the 'Injury Updates' thread but are now here. In case you were wondering.
  • IronHerb said:

OK, so we get rid of AC and Sakho and buy Giroud and Hernandez. The newbies then get serious injuries in the first few weeks of the season, but after the window has closed.

Who ya gonna call?

ghost
    Boogers

GhostBoogers
  • Boogers didn't have any arms ;hmm
  • City have put 17.5 mill on bonys head
  • It can stay there.
  • alderz said:

Of the players we're linked to, I would want Giroud and Hernandez as my top targets, the Iheanacho, then Batshuayi, then the others.

Javier and Cedric Bakambu will do nicely thank you. ;pray
  • Hernandez at £13mil is a great start if the buyout clause is real

He is a top top player and guarantees goals.....although I am slightly worried how he'll fit into the system (if we can call it that) we played with last year as it does seem to favour a 'work horse' kind of guy

In order for me:
    1. Batshuayi- Just think he's class he looked great when he got the chance at Chelsea and is still second choice! Perfect age to perhaps sell for a profit one day

2. Giroud - The most complete player weve been linked with he fits our systems and gets goals but I question whether he will actually want to join.....plus there isn't likely to be a sell on fee

3. Bakambu - Biggest risk perhaps but stylistically is the perfect build, he gets goals and is at a great age + cheaper than Batshuayi

4. Gray - compared to the others perhaps a little underwhelming but in comparison to what we have.....and who we had last year (Zaza, Calleri) he's a major improvement plus is affordable and British (HG spot)
  • Ravs training with Birmingham
  • Ah. I had wondered why he hadn't been on here much lately. ;wink
  • MrsGrey said:

;wave Information: some of these posts were made on the 'Injury Updates' thread but are now here. In case you were wondering.

Tbf any post concerning AC is always likely to mention injury directly or indirectly somewhere or other..
  • Sky are reporting that Huddersfield look to be be busy in the market Ince & Malone to add to the players they purchased last week. Meanwhile in the East End? ;hmm
  • It's all starting to feel very familiar
  • Don't worry some Turkish fella will be unveiled next week.

Joking aside I am quite happy we have heard nothing as last year we were pretty critical, and rightly so, that the club were making statements about players and big signings etc and we felt they should work more discreetly behind the scenes, so my hope is they are doing so and currently have around five deals being worked on of which two or three will get secured very soon.

I would imagine the problem we have is that we want to sign at the top of our level and the top of our level is just under top 6 meaning there are always more high profile clubs that our targets would like to go to, and so they will keep us waiting as long as possible until they feel their options will not go any higher.

I also feel once Arsenal buy a striker things will begin to move, in fact once Arsenal bring in a striker and Chelsea buy Lukaku then everything will begin to move.
  • Well I think that we should be on par with Everton, just outside the top six,and yet
    they have spent nearing 100mil.
  • Everton sold Stones for 50 Mil and are going to sell Lukaku for 70 m that puts them well ahead of us in spending power
  • Yeah, I agree, but if we can sell AC for the same amount we would be on par with them. ;pray
  • It really is a struggle. We basically have to wait for other clubs to make their signings (Arsenal and Chelsea specifically) before we can even consider Giroud or Bats, and even then have to wait for those players to see if they get a better offer elsewhere.

Presumably it will the the same for Iheanacho, Hernandez and pretty much any other half decent striker out there.

So I guess we just carry on waiting...
  • I sincerely hope not. He showed some decent promise last season and well worth a second season to prove his worth.

And £4.5m?! An international forward with decent European footballing pedigree. I'd not be best pleased if he went, especially for so little.
This discussion has been closed.