Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• edited July 2017
    Unless twist is unhappy because he thinks WE should have been in for Ince? Twist, have I misinterpreted your comment? ;puzzled
  • Us being linked to players is nothing to do with the club. People can't complain that we are linked to players when we know full well that newspapers, "IDK" twitter account, and others make up rumours constantly.
  • MrsGrey said:

Unless twist is unhappy because he thinks WE should have been in for Ince? Twist, have I misinterpreted your comment? ;puzzled

My point was other clubs getting business done and we're not
  • We have said we are after two forwards (with PL experience as a criteria, although that may have to go at some point.)

Forwards who are any good are the most difficult players to find and sign.

We could get business done if all we wanted was average PL players.

I'm glad we haven't done that kind of business.
  • edited July 2017
    Well, twist, to put it into perspective, we've got as much done as Stoke, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Southampton. More than Burnley and Palace. (7 clubs)
    While we are only 1 signing behind West Brom, Swansea, Newcastle, Man City Liverpool and Leicester. (6 clubs)

And not even those if you ignore loans and look only at permanent signings.

There's nearly 2 months of the transfer window left.
  • I’m 99% certain if you analysed the overall, long-term success of any given signing against which point in the transfer window he was signed i.e. ranging from very early to very late, there would be absolutely no difference.

We’ve made terrible signings early and great signings at the last minute.

Whether or not a player is ready for the very first game is pretty insignificant in comparison to signing the right player for the right price, who will prove valuable long-term.

IMO.
  • MrsGrey said:

There's nearly 2 months of the transfer window left.

The thing is a similar rhetoric was put out last year, and look who we ended up with.

I'm personally not panicking just yet, however I don't blame anyone out there who is...
  • edited July 2017
    barracks, there seems to be a feeling that it's like supermarket closing time - if you don't get in early all that's left is the 'reduced on their sell-by date items' but of course the transfer market isn't like that, as we know.

Our signings that didn't don't work out aren't a consequence of WHEN we sign them, imo.

The sequence of signings doesn't follow the pattern that he best get bought early and the dross get left.

jorderz ;ok
  • Talksport

West Ham are the latest club to express an interest in Inter Milan defender Andrea Ranocchia.

The 29-year-old, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Hull City, is being linked with a number of clubs in England.

Huddersfield, Newcastle United and West Brom are all said to be tracking the centre-back and Inter are ready to sell.

West Ham, according to Corriere dello Sport, are now in the mix too for Ranocchia as they look to bolster their squad for the new season.

Inter have reportedly informed clubs the Italian can be snapped up for around £5m and they will let him decide his own future if a number of clubs match the offer.
  • We've know all season we have needed a striker. We shouldn't have to rely on a last minute panic.
    We should be signing players ready to have a pre season and get to know his teammates and how the manager works.
    'Fail to prepare, prepare to fail'
  • I'm not sure our chairmen are very good at transfers ;lol
  • Huddersfield sign Tom Ince for 11m. They've spent 25m already

Didn't see you screaming for us to get Ince. Lots of clubs have bought lots of players but not many of them have been strikers.

Huddersfield, Brighton and Newcastle probably need to buy 6 or 7 players apiece, we don't.
  • edited July 2017
    If Jose is doing his nut at the lack of signings and wants 2 players in by Sunday so they can be on the plane for their tour I am happy to think we aren't pushing our transfers through quickly enough. If someone can guarantee me that we will bring in two top strikers in time for them to be ready for August 12 then I will sit quietly in the corner and be patient.

By the way selling Feghouli for peanuts isn't going to assist in increasing the transfer kitty much is it especially as I keep ready I am being to unrealistic about the owners not spending enough to make as more competitive? ;ok
  • We've know all season we have needed a striker. We shouldn't have to rely on a last minute panic.
    We should be signing players ready to have a pre season and get to know his teammates and how the manager works.

I absolutely agree.

However, it is not a perfect world where everything we think 'should' happen can happen. If it was that easy every club would have their transfers done and dusted by the start of pre-season.

To say West ham are failing is just not realistic: how many clubs (even those with gazillions of pounds to spend, sexy managers, Champions League football to offer, and a strong likelihood of trophies and medals) get their targets in by the start of pre-season?

So to moan about West Ham not achieving their signings by 5 July is imo unjustified.
  • IronHerb said:

Huddersfield sign Tom Ince for 11m. They've spent 25m already

Didn't see you screaming for us to get Ince. Lots of clubs have bought lots of players but not many of them have been strikers.

Huddersfield, Brighton and Newcastle probably need to buy 6 or 7 players apiece, we don't.
    Wasn't screaming for Ince, no. Just saying other clubs are doing business
  • Twist

How many PL clubs in this window have signed strikers that you think we should have signed?

That, imo, is the only relevant criteria to judge the club on.

• Aroune Kone. On a free. Available. PL experience. Probably not too expensive. No Pl clubs interested, some interest from Bolton. We could have got him by pre-season, affordable signing on fee.

Would that have made you happy - a warm body ready for pre-season?

• Wasn't screaming for Ince, no. Just saying some other clubs are doing some business but some are doing none at all and some aren't doing any more than West Ham

Fixed it for you. ;ok
  • Also there are lots of different factors involved such as who do we want, do their clubs want to sell them, if yes how much do they want, are we prepared or can we pay it. Finally would those players want to come to us. Likelihood is that the type of players we want would also be wanted by five or six other clubs and if those clubs are top half of the table then they are probably more attractive a proposition unless money is the prime motivation.
  • Twist

How many PL clubs in this window have signed strikers that you think we should have signed?

Sandro Ramirez and Jay Rodriguez for a start ;ok
  • The only way we could have got success quicker is by offering over the odds. A £30m bid would have perhaps got giroud by now. Or perhaps an outrageous bid for a josh king. Fact is we can't operate like that. Everton are enjoying the spoils of the stones and impending Lukaku sales - so they can.

Similarly we could have caved in to a "worse than a loan" deal for iheanacho. If the terms of that deal makes mugs of us, the daves are quite right to walk away.
  • Twist

Mischievously Defoe or that player we bid for last summer but didn't get but is very close to signing for Arsenal now whats his name? There is two that immediately come to mind and you can throw in Tammy Abrahams, better option than Andre Gray who we are linked with, and Ramirez who was within our price bracket as we are not flushed with money I keep being told.
  • MrsGrey said:

Wasn't screaming for Ince, no. Just saying some other clubs are doing some business but some are doing none at all and some aren't doing any more than West Ham

Fixed it for you. ;ok
    Those 'some who aren't doing any more than West Ham' probably didn't have a shambles of a transfer window in Jan and last August.
    They also probably didn't leave their home to a new 60,000 stadium to 'move on to the next level' ;ok
  • Twist, Fortune the players you might want may be nowhere near the type of players Slav and the Daves want so castigating them for not signing them is pointless.
  • edited July 2017
    The good news is, with Valencia and Feghouli rumoured to be off, Nordtveit already off and Calleri released, we need at least four signings on top of the two strikers we need. Not to mention the doubts over Snodgrass and Sakho. So looking at 6-8 signings in just under 2 months.
  • edited July 2017
    thorn,

I was answering Grey's question about who we should have signed and when you consider that one of the players I mentioned we went in BIG for last Summer it indicates that Slav and the Davids were keen. ;ok

Why are we letting Feghouli go especially at such a low price if it has been reported correctly?
  • I personally think we need a keeper upgrade too so you can add that to the list ;lol
  • edited July 2017
    Jay Rodriguez ;nonono ;whome
  • Jay Rodriguez...

Rarely got in team in front of Shane 'hardly ever scores but runs a lot' Long last season.
    Has had a career threatening injury and was out for a very long time.
    Meets the 'Premiership experience' criteria

Sounds perfect for us (alongside Callum Wilson of Bournemouth) ;whistle
  • edited July 2017
    Twist

That would be the Jay Rodriguez who, since AC came to us, has made fewer starts and scored fewer goals?

THAT Jay Rodriguez? You wish we had signed a player who plays less and scores less than AC?

Fortunes - OK, but we were never going to get Lacazette.
This discussion has been closed.