Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• I like the sound of bakambo ;ok
  • Apparently Marseille have just bid £24.5m for Giroud and we're still in talks with FC Koln for Modeste.

It was rumoured we'd match any offer for Giroud.

I guess now we find out if that was true
  • Pretty underwhelmed by Modeste
  • edited June 2017
    So as it stands, this is currently our squad depth on paper for the two main formations we used last season:

4-2-3-1

Adrian
    Zabaleta - Reid - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Noble(c) - Kouyate
    Antonio - Lanzini - Ayew
    Carroll

Randolph
    Byram - Fonte(c) - Collins - Masuaku
    Obiang - Fernandes
    Feghouli - Snodgrass - Valencia
    Sakho

3-4-2-1

Adrian
    Zabaleta - Reid(c) - Ogbonna
    Byram - Obiang - Lanzini - Cresswell
    Antonio - Ayew
    Carroll

Randolph
    Rice - Fonte - Collins
    Fernandes - Noble(c) - Kouyate - Masuaku
    Feghouli - Snodgrass
    Sakho
  • I mean on paper I looks good but a lot is expected from Carroll and Sakho who I think everyone, even the chairmen, have accepted that they cannot be relied upon

Big question marks over Fonte, Snodgrass, Feghouli and Ayew who have underperformed in their short time here
  • Hamstew said:

Pretty underwhelmed by Modeste

But bear in mind he's rather an understated guy: not one to brag. ;yercoat

• Big question marks over Fonte, Snodgrass, Feghouli and Ayew who have underperformed in their short time here

Think people are being a bit harsh on Ayew.. I thought he proved to be a good addition to our squad... hard worker, gets stuck in and has scored a few decent goals, without a huge injury, I think he'll be important for us..

Feghouli there is a small question mark over, but he looked ok, and imo will be better next year...

Fonte was a stop gap for ogbonna. And snodgrass was just straight up bad...
  • Ayew was one of our better players towards the end of the season and feghouli I think got better as the season went on . The key is to have a decent settled forward line so they get used to how they play with each other
  • I don't think he's been bad per se but he is our record £20mil player so think we still need more from him

His goal tally is pretty good (for gow much he played )but think he's missing quite a lot in games and isn't as creative as he could be

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he had a bad injury but as our record signing he needs to make a position his own
  • edited July 2017
    Interested in Fabian Delph to replace Nordtveit, according to the Times.
  • Would be very happy with Delph....
  • me to at the right price
  • Quiz time... How long before Liverpool buy him and how much will they pay????

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40467727
  • Agree.......he may be injury prone but he's a talent and a first teamer for any team outside the top 6

He's also an athlete and covers the ground fantastically, even after the injuries, which is what we need given the biggest pitch and lack of mobility in the squad

Not really a priority position though with Obiang, Kouyate, Noble, Fernandes and possibly Cullen in the squad
  • edited July 2017
    DG retweeted a sky sports story with comment. so no modeste then...

I said on talksport the other day we have to sign proven premier league quality. Modeste played 9 games for Blackburn scoring 0 goals. DG
  • Haha. He only played more than 35 minutes three times in that spell at Blackburn.

He's scored 15 in 34 games followed by 25 in 34 games in the last two seasons.

This guy isn't bad. The fact that he had a bad spell 5 years ago is not a reason to not buy him.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Giroud and Iheanacho but don't rule us out of buying him, especially considering there's a good chance we won't get our first choices like Giroud.

On the other hand, if Koln are asking for a ridiculous amount, then that's a different matter.
  • Well thats 11 more goals for Piquionne than I thought ;whistle (Calleri had one credited to him despite the deflection)
  • It's not only stretching, but breaking a point, to include players such as Dixon, Maguire, Gordon, Martinez or Fletcher in that list, and that must be appearances, not starts, which is a big difference.

A stat like that would be more relevant if calculated by time on pitch/goals scored.
  • I like the Paulista stat myself.
    You may as well include Harry Kane 0 in 0. ;lol
  • Stay can prove anything 11 out of 10 people know that
  • edited July 2017
    Just watched modestes goals from last year he scored the majority of them just outside the six yard box seems like a real poacher and strong in the air ;hmm
  • Stay can prove anything 11 out of 10 people know that

they only "prove" things that are true
  • When you look at that you see that even a fit Andy Carroll needs to be upgraded on.
  • edited July 2017
    The stats show what is true. What they don't do is necessarily support some of the statements being made about strikers.

Luke's comment is a case in point.

What those stats don't show is how many 'good chances' a striker had (and how many he scored) and how much possession the team had. Or if he was brought on in the last 2 minutes to run the clock down. Or if we were playing with 10 men.

A striker doesn't score goals on their own.

So if you want to argue that we need a striker who can achieve a better than 1 in 4 goal rate, you also (probably, depending on the bigger picture stats) need to argue that we need a better squad.

To do otherwise is just simplistic.
  • Personally I took from the list that Sakho has been our best striker purchase and we need him back with the right head space.

He can play centre and also does a job out wide and works all the time and has a good header, he also made Valencia look a better player.

Him back will give us a big boost....
  • alderz said:

Stay can prove anything 11 out of 10 people know that

they only "prove" things that are true
    Was an old Homer Simpson quote although I may have got it slightly wrong
  • Being linked with Hernandez and Gray this morning for a combined £28m. Both have shown they can do it in the PL. Hernandez has a £13m release clause.

Would we be happy with them?
  • edited July 2017

DG retweeted a sky sports story with comment. so no modeste then...

I said on talksport the other day we have to sign proven premier league quality. Modeste played 9 games for Blackburn scoring 0 goals. DG

Tbf the last bit of that tweet is embarrassing IMO.
This discussion has been closed.