Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Just seen this on KUMB, and I thought I'd re post it

"according to DG on Talksport 'its not about finding the players, its about finding the money'"

This for me is Gold and Sullivan in a nutshell. I've never thought that they have enough personal wealth that they are able, or willing, to really push us on to the next level. They are happy 'loaning' the club money at around 7% interest (??)
    We seem to get the same scenario as last year, around season ticket renewal time, with a couple of tasty names being bandied about, which then tails off to an unseemly scramble at the end of the TF window, with a Sully South American punt thrown in for good measure, and frees and loans making up the bulk.
    I would love to be proved wrong, but I feel we are probably being outgunned on the amount of money we are able to put up front on our offers for players. I will now be amazed (and very happy BTW) if we get anywhere near our striker targets so far discussed - ie Iheanacho/Bats/Giroud/Traore etc. A good PL striker is going to cost you 100k + per week in wages, with a probable minimum outlay of 25-30 Mill in Fee's.

With July 1st approaching, which marks the end of contract time for a lot of players, I expect a lot more movement next week, but am looking forward to the announcement that "Carrol and Sakho are like new signings after an injury free pre season"....... ;hmm
  • Lukerz ;ok

I don’t know whether there is a programme of expectation management by the club this summer, but with how that interview sounds and with what Noble has said recently about how difficult it is to bring in players, I do wonder if this is a deliberate tactic ;hmm
  • Yea I know it's a little more complicated then there actually being a kitty of money but it's a process that every single club goes through to get money and is typically based upon owners net worth and clubs revenue

We may not have sheik money but G&S joint net worth is around mid table and te turnover the club makes (as per 15/16 data) have the 7th highest in the league and that's not counting the season tickets and tickets of this season

We haven't spend any money so far and actually made a bit from Nordveit going so I don't understand why we are struggling to get money together
  • He does not actually say we have n't got the money , he says finding the money which you could take as part of the transfer budget free up wages etc. If someone asks me down the pub I would find the money for a beer as it would be in my wallet for example.
  • I think the way he phrased it is about dampening expectation. They were criticised last year for coming out and saying we were going to try for a £30m striker, and that forced prices up. Now they come out and say we need to find the money, maybe selling clubs don't have that expectation. I don't actually think it's a factor, but if people criticised last year, then surely they should be pleased with this approach?
  • We're football fans.

We're never pleased.
  • It's also not as easy as saying (which BB seems to be, if I've read your post right billy?) that the owners are rich enough to stump up the cash.

FFP.

(And yes, I know we are richer than last year with the Stadium move and new TV money, but FFP still restricts spending. And everybody got the TV money, so we are all better off to that extent: it hasn't improved our relative buying power - crucial factor when there's limited supply and the buyers are competing with each other to 'win the auction'.)
  • alderz said:

... but if people criticised last year, then surely they should be pleased with this approach?

Don't be bringing logical reasoning to the madness that is the transfer window ;wahoo
  • turnover the club makes (as per 15/16 data) have the 7th highest in the league

But that's turnover, though. Means nothing without the other figures.
  • •West Ham United’s interest in Olivier Giroud is real and the London club are a ‘credible solution’ to the Frenchman’s future this summer. (L’Equipe)
  • proven premiership striker you say

Sky Sports
    Former England international and Premier League winner Carlton Cole is now playing in Indonesia. Our man Adam Bate caught up with him to discuss that adventure, Cole's commitment to helping young players at home and abroad and his future...

Regarding his future, Cole currently has a contract with Indonesia side Persib but the situation is negotiable. So is he up for one last crack at English football?

"I know there are teams over in England that need help as well," Cole told Sky Sports. "I have been approached already but I am asking myself whether I really want to do it yet or if I want to enjoy myself over there in Indonesia. So I am balancing the pros and the cons.

"Do I want to go into a side that's maybe challenging to go to the Championship? Am I going to play every game? I know I would be an asset because you can stick me on and you know what you are going to get from me. I also bring other things in terms of mentoring the kids as well."
    ;yercoat ;yercoat
  • Defoe to Bournemouth confirmed. He has penned some kind words to Sunderland fans so has learnt how to behave better than previously.
  • He sure has Sunderland have been relegated for at 3 months already.....
  • So Both our strikers are injury prone and our summer business was rubbish.... he certainly has a grip on the facts....

http://www.90min.com/posts/5203940-west-ham-s-david-gold-says-the-club-are-after-two-experienced-strikers-this-summer?a_aid=41965
  • Bournemouth close to completing a move for Nathan Ake as well for £20mil

So that's Defoe, Begovic and Ake brought in......arguably 3 players who would be first teamers for us (deffo the first 2)

Well done for Bournemouth they've made some smart business for a club of their size
  • Defoe is on a 3 year deal at £65k a week, plus a reported multi million pound signing on fee. He may have 1 more season left in him.
    Bergovic maybe, but there again he's happy to sit on the bench and take the money.
    Ake is a decent young prospect.

So for us, imo, not really.
  • FFP shouldn't be a problem we shifted probably 200k in wages from arbeloa nordveidt calleri zaza tore. Maybe even more.
  • edited June 2017
    Think £65,000 a week for a guy who guarantees goals is a bargain, personally. He'll get 15 goals next season 100%.

I mean we were paying Nordtveit £45,000 a week to do nothing.

Good deal Bournemouth.
  • He is also not overly reliant on pace, his game revolves around intelligent movement in the box not tearing defenders for pace

Slightly risky but if they get a single season like the season he's just had it'll be money well spent
  • Wonder if Danny Welbeck's available?
  • He plays less than AC.
  • Bafetombi Gomes ( 20 in 32 for Marseile)
    Willfried Bony - does he still have it?
  • Other clubs other than Everton, who I expect I will be told are spending the Lukaku money before Chelsea hand it over, appear to be completing deals but we aren't! ;doh
  • yeold, for wages, maybe ;ok

But FFP also (effectively) restricts spend on transfer fees.
  • Tell that to City.......easily gonna spend £300mil this summer!! FFP doesn't apply to all teams
  • IronHerb said:

He plays less than AC.

That's impossible. ;biggrin
  • The FFP rules got fairly relaxed the today the Qatari's bought PSG and hired Platini's son. Maybe I'm being rather cynical but they were supposed to reign in the spending of the big clubs and yet some of them are spending money as if it is going out of fashion.
  • Tell that to City.......easily gonna spend £300mil this summer!! FFP doesn't apply to all teams

It applies to everybody in the same way.

You should look it up. Seriously (not in a sarcastic way).

1. Wages. Clubs are restricted in terms of how much they can increase their wages year on year. Clubs thatt make vast increases in terms of new commercial income can increase wages more than those clubs which don't.

2. Other spending. Clubs are not allowed to post losses in excess of a certain amount - they have to 'live within their means' and balance their income and expenditure. The effect of this is that a club which makes huge profits will have more money to spend; clubs whose profits are smaller also have their abilty to spend restricted.

Despite the stated aim of FFP - to level the playing field - it seems to me that all it has done is set in stone the pre-existing unlevel playing field. City, Man U etc will ALWAYS (because of our unequal starting points) have more financial clout than West Ham and other similar clubs. UNLESS the club can have some kind of game-changing event. For us, it is hoped that (over a few years) the new Stadium will perform this function. We'll see. But what's obvious is thatt without the move, NOTHING would change.
  • The FFP rules got fairly relaxed the today the Qatari's bought PSG and hired Platini's son. Maybe I'm being rather cynical but they were supposed to reign in the spending of the big clubs and yet some of them are spending money as if it is going out of fashion.

There are 2 different sets of controls/limits.
    The FFP rules that apply to clubs competing in Europe.

And the different FFP rules that apply to clubs competing in the PL.

• ;hmm so one rule for the rich and one for the poor
This discussion has been closed.