At Home to Crystal Palace Saturday 14th Jan 3pm Kick off - London Stadium - Bring ya gum

Comments

• Typical Allardyce ;lol

Screenshot_20170116-143507
  • Two thoughts based on Saturday's match that came to me:
    1. Slaven Bilic sets out the team in the first half for damage limitation, and watches the other team during the first half. At half time, he makes the changes necessary to play to maximum effect against the opposition. Doesn anybody else think this is what happens?
    2. After all of the discussions and heated arguments about last summer's transfers not doing the job, it was the one transfer we were happiest about the ended up not doing the job.

In addition, I wonder if, now that the Payet question (which surely must have been floating round the training camp and dressing room like a bad smell) has been put to rest by Bilic, will we see some of those new players (like Feghouli) gain confidence, play more assertively and better?
  • MrsGrey said:
    Its one of the ballboys who had a selfie with Sanchez. Marky boy launches him into row Z.............................
  • ;lol He picks him up and gives him a good shake.
  • Love Bilics celebration on 0:22ish, the sheer delight/relief followed by the temptation of smashing a water bottle, but pulls out at the last second to keep his composure. ;scarf ;scarf ;scarf ;scarf ;scarf
  • Or to prevent damage to his staff ;biggrin
  • Love Bilics celebration on 0:22ish, the sheer delight/relief followed by the temptation of smashing a water bottle, but pulls out at the last second to keep his composure. ;scarf ;scarf ;scarf ;scarf ;scarf

Noticed this too ;lol so pleased for him
  • edited January 2017
    twc/herb I missed that 1st time round ;lol
  • ;clap Love Bilic so funny ;bowdown
  • think bilic may of pulled out of that because he remembered his dodgy hips!!

Could literally watch that goal over and over and over

Oh, hang on, I have

;biggrin
  • ;biggrin I may have had a brief gander.
  • Well he hasn't got Payet to hug anymore. ;whistle
  • Screenshot_2017-01-17-09-57-41_1

This is what I don't like about Allardyce. His biggest concern seems to be tarnishing his reputation, rather than the fate of the team he's managing.

Bilic has his faults as a manager, but he seems to have a genuine affection for the clubs he manages and I can never see him saying anything like this.
  • Depends how you read it. He says 3 things. You have only focussed on one.

He also specifically says he doesn't care if he gets sacked, but he cares about trying to help the club get out of trouble.

If Bilic said that, I'd be quite happy.
  • I think Palace should be safe, comfortably. That looks to me like BFS is trying to make it sound like an incredible challenge so that it boosts his reputation more when he achieves it. Maybe I'm being too cynical.
  • He always 'bigs up' the task in hand.

He could have said "I want to keep Palace up and maintain my record" but he put his record first.
  • edited January 2017
    Mrs G - if Bilic said that, I wouldn't be very happy. It sounds, as Herbie says, that his priority is not to blemish his record.

All about interpretation though ;ok
  • For him though and for palace it's a straightforward business arrangement - he is not going to fall in love with the club and vice versa

Him keeping his unblemished record is completely aligned with the club's objectives so it doesn't really matter too much
  • Greetings from faraway Sarawak.... no-one (I think) has picked up on what I think is the most positive feature of this result: all three goals were from open play, not relying on set pieces as before. And I'm happy to have Cresswell take free kicks too: I've been screaming "give it to Cress" for a while now, Dimi's success rate this year has been miserable.
    PS I will miss Payet, be honest we all will, but I'll get over it. Quickly.
  • "I am scared WE won't succeed"

Not worried about his job - check

And of not wanting to blemish my record AND getting Palace out of trouble

Seriously, what is the problem?

I saw his post match interview where he said WHU were the better side in the last 20 minutes (of a close game), but no everyone focuses on the fact he said CP should've done more to stop the 3 goals. Which any Manager will analyse especially a pragmatic ex-defender

It's truly amazing to see what people focus on

• I read the 'we' part as his coaching staff. But i hate his guts so probably me just thinking the worst of him.
  • No "problem", just opinions.

Allardyce has always struck me as the kind of person that puts himself ahead of anything else. Just look at what happened with the England job.

His comments above suggested to me that his primary concern is not tarnishing his reputation of never being relegated, with keeping Palace up of secondary importance.

As I said to Mrs G, it's all about interpretation.
  • But i hate his guts

This surprises me because none of your comments during his years at West Ham and thereafter would have indicated this at all....
  • I don't care about him either way, he is nothing to do with us anymore.

On the post match presser manager waffle did any of you notice that Pep and Jose said the self same thing about the opposition, game and tactics.

I don't read much into what they say 'cause it's often at odds with what I just watched.
  • But i hate his guts

This surprises me because none of your comments during his years at West Ham and thereafter would have indicated this at all....
    ;lol
  • I read the 'we' part as his coaching staff. But i hate his guts so probably me just thinking the worst of him.

is the CORRECT answer

;lol
This discussion has been closed.